"Watch" me flip another house!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got a guy digging for the new sewer lines for the new master bathroom. He's digging a tunnel under the grade beam to where the toilet will now be:

IMG_7209.jpg

And a trench toward the main line:

IMG_7212.jpg

We have to run drains for the new shower, tub and lavatories. We are taking the opportunity to run a new line for the washing machine (the one going left) while we are already making a mess.

IMG_7210.jpg

Some of you will also be happy to know that the owner decided to re-pipe now also.

flipper

• 2 weeks later...

Well, despite me being out of town for nearly two weeks, we managed to get our plumbing, ac, and electrical rough in inspections done. We then got our framing and insulation inspections knocked out. We also got the wood floors patched up and the new nail down wood floors went in the kitchen. We went ahead and took out all the old fiberglass insulation in the walls of the room that had the wood paneling and replaced it with new R13. Sheetrock is being hung as we speak and will continue for the rest of the week. Hopefully we start building cabinets, hanging doors and doing the rest of the trim next week:

IMG_7478.jpg

IMG_7479.jpg

IMG_7480.jpg

IMG_7481.jpg

IMG_7482.jpg

IMG_7485.jpg

IMG_7441.jpg

IMG_7443.jpg

IMG_7446.jpg

IMG_7447.jpg

flipper

I'm gonna post some boring sheetrock pictures, but I wanted to give a tip. I use my painter to hang, tape and float my sheetrock. One time I hired a crew that just does sheetrock. They knocked it out quick, and were pretty professional. The problem was that when there was an imperfection with the floating, or in a corner bead etc., it wasn't really the painters job to fix it. So I ended up paying the painter to make the sheetrock right so the paint job would look right. I probably could have tried to get the drywall hanging company back out, but I didn't want to mess with that. Not to mention that many imperfections aren't even visible until primer is up.

So, I've gone back to having my painter do all the hanging, taping and floating. That way there is no question who's at fault and who's responsible for fixing problem spots. Learn from my experience :)

IMG_7495.jpg

IMG_7496.jpg

IMG_7497.jpg

IMG_7498.jpg

IMG_7499.jpg

IMG_7500.jpg

IMG_7501.jpg

flipper

How active have the owners been in the process? Are they out there everyday, or just sort of letting you run with it?

They live in the area so they probably go by daily or every other day atleast. There are some decisions they want to be in control of and others they don't. So we handle everything and just ask them when there is a decision to be made.

flipper

IMG_7500.jpg

IMG_7501.jpg

Hmmmm... Maybe you should let the sheetrockers do the drywall vs. your painters. You're supposed to stagger joints, where you can... for example, in this last picture; I would have put that 4 foot piece on the bottom, over in the corner. You're still going to do the same amount of taping and floating; use the same amount of drywall. Did they do the whole house like this?

Also, I noticed that it appears you used pink pre-cut studs for the base plates along the interior walls vs. pressure treated. I always use pressure treated lumber against concrete. Is it pressure treated?

I would used Durarock around the tub vs. greenboard. As well as copper vs. PVC. But that's just me.

Also, I noticed that it appears you used pink pre-cut studs for the base plates along the interior walls vs. pressure treated.

If you're seeing pink plate in any of the pictures in this thread, it may be time for a new monitor....

If you're seeing pink plate in any of the pictures in this thread, it may be time for a new monitor....

That and I should have said I was colorblind...

Those are pre-cuts, whatever color (pink, purple, magenta?) they are...

My questions are still valid...

That and I should have said I was colorblind...

Those are pre-cuts, whatever color (pink, purple, magenta?) they are...

My questions are still valid...

It's ACQ pressure treated material. It's identifiable by its color ( blue-green....not pink :huh: ). It is copper based treated vs. arsenic-based treated. The previous ( dark,wet,heavy ) arsenic based treated materials have been deemed unsuitable for residential use since 2004 or there about. It is still available for industrial or agricultural use, and maybe ground contact use ( not positive ).

The main issue regarding the ACQ material is that it is highly corrosive to fasteners ( mud sill anchors and/or anchor bolts. nails, etc. must be galvanized or SS ).

Well despite the painters not know how to hang sheetrock, work has progressed this week. Sheetrock is hung, taped, floated and textured:

IMG_7545.jpg

IMG_7543.jpg

IMG_7540.jpg

The elec. service has been changed:

IMG_7537.jpg

Exterior paint samples are up and decided on:

IMG_7518.jpg

and the doors and trim have been delivered:

IMG_7557.jpg

It should look a lot different in a week once trim and cabinets are under way!

flipper

I like B also. Are you going to also paint the brick?

I am jealous that it looks so great so far. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Just out of curiousity who do you use for hardwood installation and refinishing? I have a living room & dining room I need to have hardwoods installed and 3 bedrooms & hallway I need to have refinished. Have not been able to find a decent company yet. The house being flipped down the block used "Reliable Hardwoods" but they don't return calls.

Also, need a good drywall company.

Am on limited budgets but definitely ready to do the work.

:lol:

You'll see soon.

flipper

As with all remodeling you come across unexpected things along the way that need to be fixed. The painter found some rotten soffit during paint prep that needed to be replaced.

IMG_7573.jpg

IMG_7574.jpg

It rotted out due to a poor design that will need to be addressed when the roof is replaced next time.

The siding is painted:

IMG_7590.jpg

IMG_7591.jpg

Which color do you like for the front door?

IMG_7614.jpg

My mode of transportation to the job site:

http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b231/hou...nt=IMG_7615.jpg

Closets are built out and all of the doors that I didn't order wrong are hung:

IMG_7612.jpg

The beginnings of the kitchen are going in:

IMG_7617.jpg

IMG_7620.jpg

Those are just to prove to jmf that the cabinets aren't from home depot.

Cement is up in the shower and bathtub:

IMG_7619.jpg

IMG_7622.jpg

I'm picking up the tile tommorow. I think y'all will like the tile and design in the master bath.

flipper

Good productive day at the house today. Cabinets are moving along:

IMG_7628.jpg

IMG_7627.jpg

Tile in the tub surround and master shower are about 1/3 done:

IMG_7626.jpg

Exterior paint is almost done too. I don't have a picture of that though.

I figure the tile guys have another two days and the carpenter has another 3. Then it's on to interior paint prep!

flipper

About the front door color - I'm not sure. I guess if you're going to be so bold to paint it blue, go with the darker shade?

House the color of sand, door the color of ocean. Nice!

Do you normally do the interior paint first or refinish the hardwood first? Or does it not matter? Thanks!

We paint first 100% of the time. As a matter of fact, the absolute last thing that happens in our houses is the final coat of poly on the wood floors.

flipper

Thanks, I've always wondered. It's hard to tell the order of things from renovating shows. I figured the floors would come last since they probably get messed up during the work, plus all the sanding dust, etc.

Alrighty, cabinets and trim are done minus some edge banding on some plywood which I need to go get.

Master Bath:

IMG_7653.jpg

IMG_7654.jpg

IMG_7740.jpg

IMG_7739.jpg

Hall Bath:

IMG_7657.jpg

IMG_7737.jpg

IMG_7643.jpg

Half Bath:

IMG_7658.jpg

Keetchin:

IMG_7730.jpg

IMG_7732.jpg

IMG_7735.jpg

IMG_7736.jpg

IMG_7733.jpg

The Marble tub deck and vanity top are going in the master tomorrow.

We will finish all of the tile work minus the kitchen backsplash this week, then staining and painting commence inside next week.

flipper

Tile is winding down for the week. All that's left to do is a little grout in the master bath and grout the hall bath floor.

IMG_7788.jpg

IMG_7790.jpg

I've got mad respect for anyone who has the patience and skill to install one of these custom hex tile floors. It's tedious and difficult to get right.

The granite in the kitchen and the other bath counters are going in tomorrow. The tub didn't quite fit in the hole that the granite guys cut so I have to have them correct that tomorrow also.

Thanks for looking!

flipper

Archived