Capitol Lofts At 711 Main St.

RealtorHouston

Capitol Lofts # 402

711 Main at Capitol

LEASED!

http://www.gunn.net/capitol/capitol_exterior.jpg

A true New York style loft in the heart of Downtown Houston! This classic unit features a window wall in the living area showcasing views of the beautiful historic Chase Bank and Main Street. The entire unit is dressed in exposed brick walls and gorgeous pecan floors. The kitchen, which features a breakfast bar, also includes a SubZero refrigerator, stainless steel appliances and granite countertops. The marble bath has double sinks, a separate walk-in shower and whirlpool tub. The large master bedroom in the back boasts its own balcony and huge windows and a 2nd bedroom or study rounds it out. Roof top deck, fitness room, billiards room, controlled access building.

1,378 square feet

2 bedrooms/1 bathroom

• Like 1

• The title was changed to For Sale or Lease - Downtown Loft with Main St Views at Capitol Lofts
  • The title was changed to Capitol Lofts At 711 Main St.
  • 3 months later...

Two permits were recently filed for 711 Main St, Suite 100:

• 1 Story Occupancy Inspection permit
  • Certificate of Occupancy permit

Opening in Suite 100 of Capitol Lofts is Victory / Victory Restaurant & Lounge. It's a supperclub / vibe dining concept.

I think this may be Victory's second location. There is a location in Washington D.C.

Victory aims to open its Houston outpost to the public before year's end.

https://www.victoryhoustontx.com

https://www.instagram.com/victoryhoustontx

One Story Occupancy Inspection permit

AOwB61H.png

Certificate of Occupancy permit

Q68dCMG.png

• Like 2

I think this would be the fourth black owned business to open up on Main Street recently - others I can think of are Taste, Bungalow, and Off the Record, which are also 3/4 of the new restaurants/clubs I can think of opened on main street in the last ~year.

On 11/4/2023 at 9:02 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Two permits were recently filed for 711 Main St, Suite 100:

• 1 Story Occupancy Inspection permit
  • Certificate of Occupancy permit

Opening in Suite 100 of Capitol Lofts is Victory / Victory Restaurant & Lounge. It's a supperclub / vibe dining concept.

I think this may be Victory's second location. There is a location in Washington D.C.

Victory aims to open its Houston outpost to the public before year's end.

https://www.victoryhoustontx.com

https://www.instagram.com/victoryhoustontx

One Story Occupancy Inspection permit

AOwB61H.png

Certificate of Occupancy permit

Q68dCMG.png

Sign related permits were issued yesterday for the inside of 711 Main St:

• Sign plan review permit
  • Site sign inspection permit

The permits pertain to signage for Victory / Victory Restaurant & Lounge.

Sign plan review permit

E7tzKQS.png

Site sign inspection permit

UHADj1i.png

• 4 weeks later...

A post pertaining to Victory / Victory Restaurant & Lounge. It's located at  711 Main St, Suite 100. In recent years, the space was home to Springbok, Birddog Saint, and various pop-up bars.

The post is from the Downtown Restaurant and Bar topic.

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/31454-downtown-restaurant-and-bar-market/?do=findComment&comment=693217

7 hours ago, editor said:

image.jpeg

A couple of weeks ago, Victory (711 Main) added branding to the front door, and occasionally puts a sandwich board on the sidewalk.  

While I don't understand what's happening here (it's supposed to be "elevated comfort food," but most of the reviews talk about hookas), I hope it does better than the previous occupants of this space.  It's been through at least three, maybe four different tenants in the last 2½ years.

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

7 hours ago, editor said:

A couple of weeks ago, Victory (711 Main) added branding to the front door, and occasionally puts a sandwich board on the sidewalk.  

While I don't understand what's happening here (it's supposed to be "elevated comfort food," but most of the reviews talk about hookas), I hope it does better than the previous occupants of this space.  It's been through at least three, maybe four different tenants in the last 2½ years.

@editor maybe you aren't up on the latest dining trends, at least in different segments within the city's vast dining scene. I say this based off the many comments and complaints from you pertaining to restaurants and bars in the city, specifically those you claim to not understand. However, Victory is the latest in a growing trend of vibe dining spots popping up in Houston.

Most restaurants billing themselves as vibe dining either offer hookah or don't. Also, most have a club atmosphere (Ciel, Bisou, Kiss, etc.) As for the vibe dining restaurants with hookah, they have a specific target demographic in mind. That demographic consists of customers in their 20's-40's who are usually either African-American (or of African descent) or Latino. Granted, casual Middle Eastern and Mediterranean restaurants have been offering hookahs for some time.

So, while you don't understand it (maybe because of your age and not being their target market), there are lots of younger Houstonians who do. The concept is popular enough here that these vibe dining spots with hookah are popping up almost every month around the Greater Houston area. Besides Victory, Ocean 12, which opened not too long ago in Montrose, has the same concept.

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

I don't think this place will be busy enough to last for several reasons. I think it's bizarre that such similar concepts have opened so close to each other on Main. I expected it to be much more crowded than it has been since it opened (almost a full year after they remodeled the space). It's mostly empty every time I walk by it.

I don't see how Bungalow, Taste, and Victory won't cannibalize each other's business. They appear to have similar higher-priced menus and the same vibes and are operating within a few blocks of each other. However, what do I know? I'm just a guy walking past these restaurants to go to dive bars and parks, and I'm not a restaurant operations expert. 

The other thing is they've also managed to piss off the HOA / Owners / Residents at the Capitol Lofts in the month or so since they've been officially open. Three employees recently entered the lofts via the shared fire escape egress, checked for unlocked doors, and tried to gain access to units. They found one unlocked, but the owner was home and caught them in the act. Victory fired the three employees, and the Lofts made changes to prevent it from happening again. But this incident, paired with the bass you can hear in the lobby, on lower floors, and faintly on the upper ones, isn't helping make them super popular with the neighbors.

I'm happy something is in the operating space to keep the overnight campers from gathering in front of the building, leaving trash, and using it as a toilet, but this is already off to a rocky start.

Edited by jermh
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, jermh said:

I don't think this place will be busy enough to last for several reasons. I think it's bizarre that such similar concepts have opened so close to each other on Main. I expected it to be much more crowded than it has been since it opened (almost a full year after they remodeled the space). It's mostly empty every time I walk by it.

I definitely don't think that it's a coincidence that such similar concepts have opened up so close to each other. As I had commented previously in this thread, this is the fourth black owned business to open up on main street recently. I don't know if it's fair or even politically correct to imply that downtown Houston is becoming the go-to spot for black Houstonians to go out, but take a walk down main street on a Friday or Saturday night, then go to 19th or 20th Ave in the heights and you'll see wildly different demographics. Personally I'm not a fan of this on either side - what's effectively self segregation. It exists to a degree in every city, but one of the things I've come to love about Houston is how integrated the diversity is generally. To have the heart of the city then not reflect this would be a bummer for Houston imo

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/10/2023 at 5:39 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Victory is the latest in a growing trend of vibe dining spots popping up in Houston.

If by "vibe" dining spots you mean "gimmicky," then yes, I've noticed that most restaurants that open in Houston these days are mostly about gimmicks.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, editor said:

If by "vibe" dining spots you mean "gimmicky," then yes, I've noticed that most restaurants that open in Houston these days are mostly about gimmicks.

Vibe dining is not liken to gimmicky. Nor is it referred as such. I was clear as to what vibe dining is. Furthermore, there are countless articles pertaining to vibe dining if you really wanted to know what all it entails.

Now, there are places that can be gimmicky. And that can go beyond food and beverage-type places. So, in that sense, those businesses aren't vibe dining.

However, since you  brought it up, in terms of food related businesses, gimmicky would apply to places like Magical Dessert Bar. The dessert shop had an unicorn and rainbow motif. Everything sold had something to do with unicorns, although all of the desserts were outsourced. There are other examples for sure, but that should give you an idea to the difference between the two.

Twitter, Instagram, and Tik Tok gave rise to Instagram-worthy or Instagrammable menu items (which can also be gimmicky to some degree.) Those social media platforms also led to an uptick of restaurants and bars adding splashy backdrops, along with other interior decor. All those aesthetics are specifically for people to take photos and videos to post. And in turn, those details are meant to attract new business. 

Again, there are lots of articles from reputable sources describing all of this in further detail. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

However, since you  brought it up, in terms of food related businesses, gimmicky would apply to places like Magical Dessert Bar. The dessert shop had an unicorn and rainbow motif. Everything sold had something to do with unicorns, although all of the desserts were outsourced. There are other examples for sure, but that should give you an idea to the difference between the two.

Twitter, Instagram, and Tik Tok gave rise to Instagram-worthy or Instagrammable menu items (which can also be gimmicky to some degree.) Those social media platforms also led to an uptick of restaurants and bars adding splashy backdrops, along with other interior decor. All those aesthetics are specifically for people to take photos and videos to post. And in turn, those details are meant to attract new business. 

While the first paragraph obviously describes a gimmick, I fail to see how the second doesn't. 

Clearly, there's a market, and people seem to enjoy it, so while I'd personally never go, I don't think there's anything wrong with their existence. But playing up non-flavor-related elements to the tune of higher prices is classic gimmickery, if you ask me, whether it comes in the form of ironed tablecloths and tuxedoed waitstaff or splashy backdrops and DJs and Instagram-oriented dishes.

26 minutes ago, 004n063 said:

While the first paragraph obviously describes a gimmick, I fail to see how the second doesn't. 

Regarding the fourth paragraph, restaurants (bars included) and those tasked with covering dining trends (or the food scene), don't really consider decors as a gimmick. Though, to some degree, this could extend to viral menu items. Some restaurants or bar may created a dish (or drink) that is specifically for the 'Gram. Other times, some items take off organically due to social media. That in turn makes those items Instagrammable. The end result is some wanting to try an item for themselves to see what the hype is about. While others only want to post about it for added content and gain new followers. I said as much here:

8 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Still none of those describe what Editor claims is vibe dining.

• Like 1

Without getting too deep into this, I would agree that vibe dining is a current trend (or fad assuming it quickly tapers off). Gimmick would fall more along the lines of all the bars that advertise themselves as speakeasies, which is antithetical to the whole idea of a speakeasy yet drives their business.

• Like 2