vh1 down?

Channel 61 (on Comcast) is vh1. The station seems to be down? There is a "VIACOM-NOC" message with the colored squares and prologned beeeeeeep. Is this an April Fools joke? Or is the station signed off or down?

I wouldn't know because I'm at WORK. :D

That stands for Viacom Network Operations Center.

Sounds like a problem with CBS in New York (VH1 is owned by Viacom/CBS). I doubt it's gone for good. If it was, either CBS or Comcast would replace it with another channel. CBS isn't going to spend a metric assload of money pumping out a test pattern unless something's gone terribly wrong.

The people at Comcast's head end should see the test pattern and switch you over to the west coast feed until things are back to normal in New York.

But maybe they're waiting for someone to come out and do it between 7am and 3pm next Thursday or Friday.

That stands for Viacom Network Operations Center.

Sounds like a problem with CBS in New York (VH1 is owned by Viacom/CBS). I doubt it's gone for good. If it was, either CBS or Comcast would replace it with another channel. CBS isn't going to spend a metric assload of money pumping out a test pattern unless something's gone terribly wrong.

The people at Comcast's head end should see the test pattern and switch you over to the west coast feed until things are back to normal in New York.

But maybe they're waiting for someone to come out and do it between 7am and 3pm next Thursday or Friday.

It seems to be on now, but it was like that for a while.

...metric assload ...

I will be using this term now. It just adds credibility to the assload quantity.

I don't know why they just don't have all available HD channels in HD. I'm tired of seeing that WGN is in HD, because it's not. Make it so, you can't even read the names on the back of the White Sox jerseys.

I will be using this term now. It just adds credibility to the assload quantity.

I don't know why they just don't have all available HD channels in HD. I'm tired of seeing that WGN is in HD, because it's not. Make it so, you can't even read the names on the back of the White Sox jerseys.

As much as I dislike cable companies in general, and Comcast specifically, upgrading a channel from SD to HD takes a lot of equipment and time to install it. Multiply that by the thousands of cities where Comcast has franchises, and the fact that some channels get higher priority than others, and it's a difficult proposition.

Knowing what I know about television, I would never want to own or run a cable company. I think it would be easier to juggle rabid ferrets. Oh wait... that's the customer service department.

Archived