How to estimate the value of MCM stuff.

flipper

From time to time I come across MCM items in houses we buy or remodel. I usually just donate them to goodwill, because I've never had any luck guesstimating their value online. I'm sure some collectors would like some of the stuff I find though. Are there any good online retailers I can look at to help identify pieces and assess their value? In particular, I have an orange, metal cone fireplace now and I don't know what it's worth.

Thanks,

flipper

The best way I have found is to go to ebay and search the completed auctions--it's under the advanced search function. You can get an idea for what has sold and the going price. You can even check the date of the sale to see when the best time of the year is.

The best way I have found is to go to ebay and search the completed auctions--it's under the advanced search function. You can get an idea for what has sold and the going price. You can even check the date of the sale to see when the best time of the year is.

Thanks! I had no idea you could search completed auctions. It didn't work for this particular fireplace, but I'm sure it will come in handy in the future.

flipper

I can only find one blemish in the finish.

I'm going to try to disassemble it tomorrow. We'll see how that goes :)

Do you know of a resale place in town that might want to buy it?

flipper

Here's some sites by googling if it is a Preway:

http://www.danripley.com/catalogs/oct%20mo...0_0541_0560.htm

Lot 553 - Orange Enamel 1970s Fireplace Mod Vintage Retro

Orange enamel Preway brand 1970s free standing fireplace. 23"H with 30"pipe x 36"W x 26"D. Great Mod Retro accessory. Very good condition. Looks complete. No bolts for pipe. Sold as-is.</B>

Estimate: 100-300

http://homepage.mac.com/breezahontas/

1970s PREWAY free-standing fireplace, $500.00

We have Metro Retro Furniture over on Washington Avenue. Their warehouse is in Pasadena. You might call them to see if they do consignments.

http://www.metroretrofurniture.com/cgi-bin/

Metro Retro is out of my price range--we usually just scavage off of Craigslist. If you decide to donate it, it would look lovely on my back patio!

De

I uninstalled it this morning. I got the whole unit out in 1 piece including the gas logs. I have two of the "chimney" pipes too. I didn't bother with the pipe that goes through the attic since it is a custom length for this house.

I'm wondering if it's even safe to have a wood burning fire in this thing.

flipper

I have found the same to be true. I've never bit the bullet and bought from them. Just slightly overpriced enough to keep me away... I have seen lots of great pieces there though, and who knows, maybe I'll get the Eames ESU Modernica copy from them as an entertainment center. I've gotten my stuff from Karen Moyers, Travis Stodelle, Ebay, craigslist, and Sunset Settings (new queen bed I couldn't get vintage).

Hey, you might be able to consign with Travis Stodelle at the 20th Century Market? It would be worth a shot just to try to sell it over that weekend and then if it doesn't sell to craigslist it.

Jason

We have Metro Retro Furniture over on Washington Avenue. Their warehouse is in Pasadena. You might call them to see if they do consignments.

http://www.metroretrofurniture.com/cgi-bin/

Metro Retro is out of my price range--we usually just scavage off of Craigslist. If you decide to donate it, it would look lovely on my back patio!

De

I'm kinda diggin the way the fireplace looks on my back porch. I don't know how long it would last out in the elements though.

flipper

you come up with a price? I'd like it...

Definitely keep it on your porch. If you don't have a cover, time to build one!

You're killin me :) - We are too much of "sun worshipers" to have a cover over our porch. We finally just got an umbrella though.

flipper

Archived