Sign in to follow this  
wxman

Baylor St.Luke's McNair Campus Expansion

They ran out of money which is no surprise since there wasn't sufficient funding for the billion dollar hospital in the first place. That's what happens with an organization run by a bunch of egotistical physicians with knee jerk reactions. With the possibility of socialized medicine on the horizon they have no chance of ever paying for this project. I look for them to put the place up for sale although it's doubtful they will find a buyer.

• Like 1

Has anybody heard about the potential Rice/BCM merger? I wonder how that might affect this.

Where is the exact location of this hospital by the way? Somewhere near VA? I don't remember seeing the construction.

Has anybody heard about the potential Rice/BCM merger? I wonder how that might affect this.

This was released today:

March 26, 2009

To the faculties, staffs and students of Rice University and Baylor College of Medicine:

We are pleased to announce that the governing boards of Rice and BCM this week approved the signing of a memorandum of understanding (MOU) that lays out a broad framework for formal negotiations about a possible merger of our two institutions.

While no decision on a merger has yet been made and many issues remain to be resolved, our boards have concluded that a closer affiliation has abundant potential benefits for both institutions, as well as for our home city of Houston. Months of informal discussions have confirmed that the missions and aspirations of our two institutions are in fact closely aligned, that both institutions would benefit in many ways from a merger and that, together, Rice and BCM could be one of the world's leading research universities.

Yep I got that email too. And another one saying if the press wants to talk to me, I should refer them to the Rice press office. I guess somebody has been giving the press incorrect information/rumors.

• Like 1

They ran out of money which is no surprise since there wasn't sufficient funding for the billion dollar hospital in the first place. That's what happens with an organization run by a bunch of egotistical physicians with knee jerk reactions. With the possibility of socialized medicine on the horizon they have no chance of ever paying for this project. I look for them to put the place up for sale although it's doubtful they will find a buyer.

Actually, if you look at the board roster, most of them are not physicians, they are CEO's, chairman, lawyers, etc.. So, its actually a bunch of incompetent folks who know nothing about academic medicine.

Board Members

* Mrs. Barbara B. Allbritton

Director and Executive Vice President,

Allbritton Communications Company

* Mr. Robert H. Allen (Chair of the BCM Board)

Private Investor

* Mrs. Laura Elena Mu

Edited by frid

Where is the exact location of this hospital by the way? Somewhere near VA? I don't remember seeing the construction.

I drove by the other day... its roughly at the corner of Cambridge and OST if memory serves me correctly...

For a month now, I have seen workers digging, adding more light poles, and other stuff that is hidden from view.

Does anyone have an update since BCM has a new president? :unsure:

For a month now, I have seen workers digging, adding more light poles, and other stuff that is hidden from view.

Does anyone have an update since BCM has a new president? :unsure:

We've heard that it is costing Baylor close to $100,000.00 per month, just to maintain it as is.

It would be nice if they kept their lights off! I have noticed that the entire building has lights on all night long.

Turning their lights off would save them some money, but I'm sure that there must be a logical explanation for keeping the lights on. Maybe they are required by the city while construction continues? Otherwise, I can't explain why they would keep them on.

We've heard that it is costing Baylor close to $100,000.00 per month, just to maintain it as is.

The latest alumni newsletter had a feature on two new alumni members of BCM's board, and they were both talking like outpatient care is the future of treatment  (as though Baylor is now not planning to build out the translational-medicine bench-to-bedside hospital once planned).  If Baylor begins going head to head with the private physicians, it hasn't been good for town-gown relations anywhere else.

http://www.bisnow.com/commercial-real-estate/houston/708-the-deal-sheet/

DEVELOPMENT

59129_1390861359_StLukesBaylorTeam.jpg

Ken Hoge

Baylor College of Medicine's unfinished hospital is getting new life. Construction stalled in '09, but now Baylor and St. Luke's (now owned by Catholic Health Initiative) are partnering to complete and operate the property, which will be called Baylor St. Luke's Medical Center and will open next year. (Above, the team at the announcement ceremony.) The property sits at Old Spanish Trail and Cambridge on Baylor's 35-acre McNair Campus and will eventually replace St. Luke's Hospital on Bertner Avenue. Baylor's partnership with CHI St. Luke's is unique; medical schools usually affiliate with systems but aren't part owners with them.

59129_1390861485_BaylorStLukes.jpg

The exterior of Baylor St. Luke's Medical Center (pictured) is already complete, and some of the interior is as well. The first phase of its build-out will be a 250-bed inpatient facility opening spring 2015. A second phase, adding 400 beds, will complete in 2018. The partnership will also develop a new cardiovascular center and comprehensive cancer center on the campus. Catholic Health Initiatives has not decided the fate of the current St. Luke's Hospital building, but has announced that the property, which was built in 1954, would be expensive to renovate.

• Like 1

It would not be surprising for Texas Children's Hospital to acquire the adjoining St. Lukes properties on Bates and Bertner. They are already attached, sharing infastructure, heating, cooling and other life safety systems.

• Like 1

Was just talking about this site a couple days ago.

the next day there's an article on HBJ.

second tower is planned. not sure if this is new info.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/2014/10/exclusive-first-look-at-the-baylor-college-of.html

The 1.2 million-square-foot facility is in various stages of completion, renovation and construction, with the next wave of openings slated for January. In addition to the current construction plans, there are also plans for a second patient tower as well as a medical office building. Construction of the second patient tower is estimated to start in November 2015, and the office building could begin within the year

• Like 1

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/2015/05/baylor-st-lukes-to-move-forward-on-mcnair-campus.html

The Baylor College of Medicine and CHI St. Luke's Health appear to be moving forward on construction at the Baylor St. Luke's McNair campus in the Texas Medical Center.

CHI Baylor St. Luke's filed $16 million worth of building permits with the city of Houston last week. Two of the permits list hospital build-outs valued at $8 million and $4 million, and the third permit is for a hospital remodel, valued at $4 million.

The new McNair campus hospital is a big focus for the Baylor College of Medicine and CHI St. Luke's. The campus opened in January, and during a tour in October, Charles Gianfagna, the commissioning officer for the master facility plan, had said there were plans to build a second patient tower, as well as a medical office building possibly as early as November of this year.

It will become the primary hospital for the Baylor St. Luke's Medical Center, and will eventually replace CHI St. Luke's hospital in the TMC, officials have told the HBJ.

• Like 4

^^^ wonderful and exciting!  we've all been wondering just what is the new outlook for st. lukes episcopal hospital... now we know.

• Like 1

I have no idea exactly how the entire permitting office works, but does the "$16 million worth of permits" really correlate to a $16 million project?

$16 million is a pretty minor commitment. We'll have to see if they get to that second patient tower.

The permits for $16 million are just for remodeling and build outs on the current buildings on site. The second tower and office building will have their own separate permits.

logo.gif

logo_baylor-mobile.png

^^^ whenever these two medical powerhouses decide to build upward, they are not known for their ultra conservative edifices.  therefore, i am looking for their brand new medical towers to be showstoppers!

Edited by monarch
  • Like 1

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/2015/11/baylor-st-lukes-plans-to-move-forward-with-new.html

Baylor College of Medicine and CHI St. Luke's Health have plans to move forward on a second patient tower at their Baylor St. Luke's McNair Campus near theTexas Medical Center.

The organization is moving forward with the design and planning for the second tower, with more information to be released in December, according to CHI St. Luke's spokeswoman Ty Morrison. Plans for a second patient tower were first announced in October 2014. There are also conversations around adding a second office building to the campus.

• Like 8

I was born at St Lukes. Will they tear it down and build something else?

The HBJ article referred to the tower as outdated. It doesn't sound good. I spent the last new years eve with my wife at St. Luke's watching fireworks in the distance while she and the children slept.  It is painful to think of its demise. 

• Like 2

These are very sleek buildings that, unlike the old St. Luke's, are designed with an eye to marketing and competition rather than practicality. The cost is ultimately borne by our health insurance premiums.

• Like 1

SGkGprlx.png

^^^ st. luke's always goes big, bright, and extremely futuristic!

i am not at all surprised, as per this ultra modern rendition approach.

congratulations.png

• Like 1

Plans for the existing medical center facilities are still being discussed.

"We're considering all of our options with it and have a lot of ideas on the table," Keathley said. "In the next couple of months our plans will become much more clear."

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Work-proceeds-on-massive-health-care-campus-at-TMC-6706134.php#photo-9128060

• Like 1

460x1240.jpg

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/money-makers/2015/12/whats-to-become-of-iconic-tmc-hospital-once-mcnair.html

CHI St. Luke's Health and the Baylor College of Medicine will move into their new McNair campus in 2019, which will leave the existing iconic double-spired tower in the Texas Medical Center vacant.

"The needles" as the current Baylor St. Luke's McNair Center is sometimes referred to, was built in 1954 and has fallen behind compared to other major facilities in the TMC. So when CHI St. Luke's does move, it will be for good.

"The intent behind those facilities has always been to sell them," Michael Covert, CEO of CHI St. Luke's Health, told the Houston Business Journal.

The buyer hasn't been determined yet. However, Covert did say that he's had early conversations with leadership at Texas Children's Hospital and other institutions who would be interested in the real estate. It could be upgraded and used for research or clinical care, or torn down and rebuilt into a brand new facility, Covert said.

• Like 1

I'm confused because the John O'Quin double towers or needles were built in 1991

much more recently than 1954, so is there some misunderstanding in his quote.

Exactly right.  The Business Journal really screwed up that story.  Breathtaking incompetence!  They also referred to the O'Quinn tower as the McNair Center.  WTF?

Edited by Houston19514

I'm confused because the John O'Quin double towers or needles were built in 1991

much more recently than 1954, so is there some misunderstanding in his quote.

Yeah that's some extremely avant garde 1954 design ;)
  • Like 3

I think they confused the older St Lukes hospital that was probably built in 1954. That sounds about right.

I can remember in the fifties visiting a family member in old methodist and looking down across the street

at vacant lots between Fannin and Main, and a one story fried chicken restaurant. Maybe it was called

Bill Williams Chicken. Back then it was a very popular place, along with the Ye Olde College Inn, in the

area. Sorry I digress. It just amazes me to remember back to those early days here in the fifties.

• Like 1

And the hbj could probably explain better that texas childrens west tower connects every floor to the 1954 building they are talking about which is why tch may want it. It is impossible to tell when you leave tch and go to St Lukes at that spot. In fact the McDonalds is right there too.

And the hbj could probably explain better that texas childrens west tower connects every floor to the 1954 building they are talking about which is why tch may want it. It is impossible to tell when you leave tch and go to St Lukes at that spot. In fact the McDonalds is right there too.

It is Abercrombie building. back in the days when I work in TCH I always turn to tour guide when giving directions to clueless visitors. "Right here you're in TCH, one step further you're in St Luke's", I'd say.