Where can one purchase absinthe in Houston?

blueskies

Many of you are probably aware that absinthe has been legal here in the United States since March 2007 after decades of being banned in 1912. I am looking for some absinthe here in Houston.

I've never tried absinthe, but I just came from a one week vacation in Europe and didn't get a chance to try it while I was there. I know that Spec's downtown carries Lucid and Kubler 53, and Kubler 53 seems to be the better one of the two. Does anyone know of any other place that sells absinthe? Also, is there any absinthe that is recommended other than the two I mentioned?

It's my understanding that the two brands you mentioned, plus Saint George, are the only brands currently legal in the United States.

Since there's only three brands to pick from, just try them all and see what works for you. It's not like beer where you could try a different brew each day for a decade and never have the same taste twice.

• 3 weeks later...

Mrs. Porchman gave me an absinthe set, complete with spoons and glasses, for Christmas. It's Versinthe. I rather like the anise flavor after it's been diluted through the ritual..

The odd thing about this ritual, though, is that you probably should have consumed something before all this is that interesting. ^_^

They also have absinthe fountains. Some of the antique fountains with silver fittings run several hundred dollars.

Anvil (on Westheimer in the Montrose) serves absinthe. They've got the whole setup, so you can experience all the rigamarole and pomp that should accompany absinthe-drinking. But it's also a good way to try a little bit without wasting money on a bottle you may end up hating...like I did. :)

Anvil (on Westheimer in the Montrose) serves absinthe. They've got the whole setup, so you can experience all the rigamarole and pomp that should accompany absinthe-drinking. But it's also a good way to try a little bit without wasting money on a bottle you may end up hating...like I did. :)

What is the rigmarole and pomp? I wouldn't have guessed absinthe as a drink that had required ceremony.

Archived