Armadillo Mall

IronTiger

Apparently, there was ANOTHER mini-mall in Houston that managed to go under the radar...the ARMADILLO MALL, now apparently a Garden Ridge (which one?)

Does anyone know about this mall? What were the anchors?

The Armadillo Flea Market Mall is on Airtex in northern Houston. It is a "mall" in the sense that there are multiple vendors under one roof. Their website is still up, so I don't think it has become a Garden Ridge.

Not positive but I think this mall started life as a Deauxville Mall. There is a thread here about it.

No, the Armadillo Mall was never the Deauville Mall. That was on Cypresswood near where the old blimp base was. I'm not sure what the Armadillo Mall originally was, but I don't think it was originally a Garden Ridge. I believe that came later, like around 1990 or so. I think it was originally some kind of mall, too, just not the Deauville Mall. But like the Deauville Mall, it didn't last long at all, going bellyup in the mid 1980s oil bust.

I know I went into both places when I went to North Harris County College, but they were so unimpressive that as you can tell, they didn't leave much of a memory. LOL!

I think it happened the other way around. It used to be a Garden Ridge and now it's a Flea Market.

I recall visiting the airtex location as a garden ridge sometime in the 2000 - 2001 time range. It had a similar feel to the garden ridge in katy, which appears to be in a building that was repurposed from some sort of multiple vendor setup. Does anyone know if the orignal garden ridges in houston took over older buildings that were flea markets or some sort of indoor shopping centers?

I recall visiting the airtex location as a garden ridge sometime in the 2000 - 2001 time range. It had a similar feel to the garden ridge in katy, which appears to be in a building that was repurposed from some sort of multiple vendor setup. Does anyone know if the orignal garden ridges in houston took over older buildings that were flea markets or some sort of indoor shopping centers?

I know the Garden Ridge in Webster took over what used to be a Fiesta and had a multiple vendor setup.

• 1 year later...

And before that a mini-enclosed mall! I think thats how it was. But what were the (main) stores?

Both the former Garden Ridge at Airtex and the current Garden Ridge at Fry Road were originally opened as Buyers Market malls. They were developed as anchorless, off price malls by a Canadian company, named Bramalea Ltd, in 1984. Some of the stores in the mall included Draperies, Etc, Lavenders (craft store), Kids Capers and Holcombe Linquist Pianos. Bramalea was unable to secure anchors for both malls due to the stiff competition from Deauville, Houston's sagging economy at the time and competition from area department stores in the form of stiffer sales promotions. Tenants starting leaving in droves after the first six months of opening and within a year, Bramalea closed both malls.

Off price retailing was a hot trend during this time period and Houston saw several other similar developments, such as Deauville's four, off priced malls (Southwest, North, South and Kingwood). Even though Deauville was more successful in luring numerous recognized anchors for all four of their developments, they too, failed not long after Bramalea's centers did.

Both the former Garden Ridge at Airtex and the current Garden Ridge at Fry Road were originally opened as Buyers Market malls. They were developed as anchorless, off price malls by a Canadian company, named Bramalea Ltd, in 1984. Some of the stores in the mall included Draperies, Etc, Lavenders (craft store), Kids Capers and Holcombe Linquist Pianos. Bramalea was unable to secure anchors for both malls due to the stiff competition from Deauville, Houston's sagging economy at the time and competition from area department stores in the form of stiffer sales promotions. Tenants starting leaving in droves after the first six months of opening and within a year, Bramalea closed both malls.

Off price retailing was a hot trend during this time period and Houston saw several other similar developments, such as Deauville's four, off priced malls (Southwest, North, South and Kingwood). Even though Deauville was more successful in luring numerous recognized anchors for all four of their developments, they too, failed not long after Bramalea's centers did.

Thanks for jogging the old memory circuits! I remember the mall in Kingwood...it didn't last very long and sat empty for a while. It is now Kingwood Medical Center.

If the Deauville was the mall on Cypresswood near the blimp base, I remember it was empty for a long time. At one time, they had a monthly gun show in it...which was probably the best business it had!

BTW...the Armadillo Flea Market (advertized as "the largest indoor flea market in Texas") took over the old Garden Ridge pottery on 45 and Airtex. If I remember correctly, it always WAS and was originally built as a Garden Ridge.

I've been to it under both incarnations and WAS NOT/AM NOT impressed.

Garden Ridge also had a location not too far awy from this in Humble on FM 1960 across from Wally World (WalMart)...it didn't last very long, either and is now some sort of church.

BTW...the Armadillo Flea Market (advertized as "the largest indoor flea market in Texas") took over the old Garden Ridge pottery on 45 and Airtex. If I remember correctly, it always WAS and was originally built as a Garden Ridge.

I've been to it under both incarnations and WAS NOT/AM NOT impressed.

Garden Ridge also had a location not too far awy from this in Humble on FM 1960 across from Wally World (WalMart)...it didn't last very long, either and is now some sort of church.

Armadillo Flea Market was originally built as Bramalea's, Buyers Market mall, not Garden Ridge. After the mall flopped, the center morphed into a Garden Ridge and then lastly into the Armadillo Flea Market.

• 1 year later...

Anyone know what stores were in the Deauville mall in Webster? Or any of the other Deauville malls? I'm asking because I'm working on a list of malls in the US, including outlet ones.

Also, are there any enclosed outlet malls in Houston or elsewhere in TX that I've missed? I know there was one in Kingwood that's now a hospital — anyone know what was in that one?

You don't really get an appreciation for the Fry Rd. Garden Ridge, until you've walked the ENTIRE THING, office space included, for a fire alarm at 3 A.M.... In full turnout gear... Holy hell...

Ha. I don't miss those days at all.

I seem to recall that a bunch of nicer-than-usual strip malls in Houston were developed i(in the 80s, if not the 70s) and branded with the Deauville name. Not sure, but maybe the one on 290 near Antoine was another.

There was one in Stafford off Kirkwood or Airport right off 59...Federated was the lead store

Found it: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=stafford+tx&hl=en&ll=29.647941,-95.575771&spn=0.003369,0.004259&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=35.547176,69.785156&t=h&hnear=Stafford,+Fort+Bend,+Texas&z=18

Looks like it's abandoned. Any idea on the closure date?

Also, anyone got anything on the one in Webster?

Archived