Dallas Park Lane Place

Park Lane Place is now open! Here's the DMN photo gallery:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...09/03/parklane/

Huge Park Lane retail project opening across from Dallas' NorthPark

11:54 PM CDT on Wednesday, March 18, 2009

By MARIA HALKIAS / The Dallas Morning News

mhalkias@dallasnews.com

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...ne.3b8b039.html

Park Lane is looking less like a construction fortress. The urban mixed-use development on North Central Expressway across from NorthPark Center is ready for shoppers. Nordstrom Rack and Dick's Sporting Goods, stores that required a trip north of LBJ Freeway for Dallas residents, are now open.

By early next year, you'll be able to continue on NorthPark Boulevard to the development's elevated Greenville Avenue side. It will be anchored by North Texas' largest Whole Foods Market at one end and restaurants at the other, where a cascading fountain will follow steps down to the street level.

Future stores include some that are common in suburbia but not inside LBJ.

In April, Children's Place and Lane Bryant/Cacique open, and Old Navy is scheduled for fall. Developer Harvest Partners says it may have a replacement to fill a large space that had been reserved for now-defunct Circuit City.

Park Lane secured its financing long before funds for construction projects dried up. Although much of the project is up and ready for an economic recovery, many retailers are unable to commit to new stores, so Park Lane's retail and restaurant space will open in phases.

Bailey's Prime Plus, Village Burger Bar and other restaurants won't begin opening until summer. Two more components, a hotel and a sports club, have been pushed back and have no opening dates.

The Heights at Park Lane, apartments developed by PM Realty in a joint venture with Harvest Partners, is about one-third leased. Amenities, views and verandas in 20- and 15-story high-rises are similar to Uptown's new projects. Three of four penthouses that rent for more than $10,000 a month are leased.

Pulling it together

It had to be a 24-hour, densely populated place, Lee said. "People had to live here, come for shopping and entertainment, work here and go to school here."

The corner is also home to the Art Institute of Dallas and the International Culinary School. Aveda Institute, the salon company's first school in North Texas, is opening in July.

Harvest Partners estimates the development will draw 15 million visitors a year, compared with NorthPark's 23 million. About 7,500 people will work or live on the property. About 500,000 live within a five-mile radius.

The developers credit the former landowners

I was in Dallas last week looking for a place to live, and saw this development for the first time. I love it, it's funny that people compared it to the Houston Pavillions project. This project in my opinion is more urban chic, but Dallas is more so than Houston. I think this development will be sucessful with the DART station located right there, as well as being across the Central Expressway from Northpark Center. I think when the owner sold the land he was very smart, and I don't think it will affect Northpark at all, I think they can play off each other, but I wish the Ikea could have gone over there instead of way out in Frisco.....

I was in Dallas last week looking for a place to live, and saw this development for the first time. I love it, it's funny that people compared it to the Houston Pavillions project. This project in my opinion is more urban chic, but Dallas is more so than Houston. I think this development will be sucessful with the DART station located right there, as well as being across the Central Expressway from Northpark Center. I think when the owner sold the land he was very smart, and I don't think it will affect Northpark at all, I think they can play off each other, but I wish the Ikea could have gone over there instead of way out in Frisco.....

It looks like a very nice project... I'll have to go visit it next time I'm up.

No secret that Houston Pavilions is struggling, but I don't think that comparisons are warranted with Park Lane Place. They are 2 different projects with 2 different goals. PLP chose to build in a high density area, and encourage existing rail usage as a TOD. With their situation, they pretty much assured themselves of success b/c people are always going to be around to see them.

HP was a much bigger risk. It is being built directly in downtown, so the success of HP fully depends on the success of downtown Houston. Being TOD is not just an attribute of HP, it is absolutely CRUCIAL. HP needs people from the Medical Center, Museum District, and Reliant Park to hop on the rail and visit. I personally think that (considering the current economic conditions) HP is doing ok.

PLP on the other hand had all of the right cards lined up at the start... near lots of people, playing off of the success of Mockingbird Station, already on an established rail line with high ridership. It was a very good bet, and I'm glad to see that it's paying off.

• 4 weeks later...

I think Park Lane and City Centre are very similar - although I believe City Centre is larger and allows more room for expansion (please correct me if I am wrong).

I believe the City Centre project is going to create a true destination for West Houston - I can't wait to visit!

I think Park Lane and City Centre are very similar - although I believe City Centre is larger and allows more room for expansion (please correct me if I am wrong).

I believe the City Centre project is going to create a true destination for West Houston - I can't wait to visit!

But Park Lane has rail and City Centre never will.

Archived