I need a new wireless router. HALP!

I need a new wireless router for my home network. I keep my router by my tv (plugged into slingbox) and use wireless from a laptop all day. It needs to have a good signal ~50 feet away through several walls. One computer on my network is 802.11n compatible so I'd like the router to be "n" with backward compatibility to "g".

I'm overwhelmed with all the choices and mixed reviews.

Can anyone recommend a router they have had a good experience with?

flipper

Have no fear Flipper this one rocks, Linksys WRT310N Wireless-N Gigabit Router. It has the best range I have seen yet, and it doesn't have all those funky antennas on it. I have my DVR, and desktop and three laptops running through it. I have mine bridged with a 8 slot switch also, so my office printer has wireless access, as do my two backup servers.

I need a new wireless router for my home network. I keep my router by my tv (plugged into slingbox) and use wireless from a laptop all day. It needs to have a good signal ~50 feet away through several walls. One computer on my network is 802.11n compatible so I'd like the router to be "n" with backward compatibility to "g".

I'm overwhelmed with all the choices and mixed reviews.

Can anyone recommend a router they have had a good experience with?

flipper

Get an Airport and then you can feed your N-speed gear N-speed data and your B/G gear B/G-speed data at the same time. Your N-speed stuff doesn't have to fall back to the slower speed when your other gadgets link up.

It also acts as a wireless print server, a wireless bridge, and you can slap a USB drive on it to make a wireless NAS. Add up to four more Gig-E drives to make a huge wireless server. (There's also a model with a built-in 1TB drive)

I have an Airport hooked up to a USB printer so I can print wirelessly, a USB drive so that I can back up my laptop wirelessly, my Vonage box and two ethernet drives I use as a redundant archive.

I've had no problem going through walls with it, but if you do it has a port on the back so you can add an external antenna.

I love D-Link products. I have their basic wireless G router, but when I upgrade it will be to another D-Link.

I hate D-Link products. I had a wireless camera from them and the FTP function on it would choke if the connection string was more than 50 characters (most are over 200). D-Link tech support said they knew about the problem, but had no intention of issuing a fix or firmware upgrade. It would also overheat rather quickly.

I ended up going with the airport extreme. Setup wasn't bad, but I still gotta figure out why the macbook is connecting but I can't get my xp laptop to connect to the network. I liked the idea of the wife being able to utilize the 'n' while i'm stuck on the ol' 'g'.

flipper

You might consider something like the Apple Time Capsule. It's basically an airport extreme with a built-in hard drive so you can do automatic backups over the network. I've had it for about a year with no problems. Funny thing is, it took several attempts before finding something that worked with all my gear (Linksys, Netgear, Belkin...all had one issue or another).

You might consider something like the Apple Time Capsule. It's basically an airport extreme with a built-in hard drive so you can do automatic backups over the network. I've had it for about a year with no problems. Funny thing is, it took several attempts before finding something that worked with all my gear (Linksys, Netgear, Belkin...all had one issue or another).

This is what I am going to do when we ever manage to finally get our house sold and move into a new house. I ran Cat 5 and coax throughout all the walls of the existing house and have gotten spoiled having a direct ethernet connection in every room in the house. I am going to have to upgrade to N and figure I might as well get a network backup running as well.

Archived