Midtown Bar Refuse Gay People

BryanS

Found this little note in my email box today... Somehow I got on the Houston Stonewall Democrats list... What makes this so pathetic is that it was a coordinated event, with the bar owner - who was notified in advance, and indicated all would be welcome. Shame. Shame on Union Bar and Lounge.

(Houston, TX, March 14, 2009) Nearly 100 gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender (GLBT) people were refused entry to Union Bar and Lounge in Midtown on Friday night while others were welcomed.

Patrons started lining up at about 9:40 p.m. and were told to wait in line and not allowed inside, even as straight-appearing people were waved through. As the line grew and patrons waited in the rain, employees at the door told those who were in line that they were maintaining a

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand the problem. Why would gay people (and for that matter, fair-minded straight people) want to patronize a bar run by homophobes in the first place? If the owner of a bar wants to economically punish himself for his backward beliefs by making a bunch of noise, I say let him. The bar won't be around for much longer. And there you have it: justice is served.

I've got a better question. Why would 150 gay people bum rush a bar and think that this tactic will promote tolerance? When I first read the story, I was pretty PO'd at the bar owner/staff. But, once I saw what the gay group was attempting to do, I applauded the barstaff for protecting their environment from a mob. This is especially strange considering that this bar apparently has a reputation for being gay friendly.

Let's be blunt. Gays are fine. Gays bum rushing an establishment deserve a swift kick in the junk. And, if the GLBT Caucus is supporting this type of trash, then this straight guy will withdraw his support of them, too.

I think it stems from this line:

"Though Guerilla Gay Bars are usually a surprise event in other cities, Houston organizers informed the bar owner in advance out of courtesy and were told they would be welcomed."

This is a load of crap - I was actually there inside with 4 of my gay friends since they thought it would be fun. I know the owner and from my understanding, he said it would be OK so long as they kept a certain guy/girl ratio...hardly uncommon. I was even told this before the event started, as we showed up at like 9 to avoid the rush. I never saw the line actually form, but from what I heard it was a long line of guys (like 150?). Gay or straight, that many guys showing up at once to any club will have problems getting in. I obviously wasn't present for any discussions with the owner but can assure that my gay friends have never had any problems there

The GLBT shouldn't toot their own horns about their "Guerilla Gay Nights". There isn't a bar in this city that wouldn't welcome 150 patrons with cash and good credit, to sip on appletinis or cosmos in their bar. For Pete's sake, just show up, it doesn't have to be an event. Can't the GLBT have a get together of friends without having to make it an event? Is that possible? Haifers don't announce to the Shiloh, "WOOoooo HOOoooo... LOOK... IT'S US, WE ARE HERE!"

Interesting quote in that piece Bryan, "Patrons started lining up at about 9:40 p.m. and were told to wait in line and not allowed inside, even as straight-appearing people were waved through." How do they know ? So, if you don't go to a bar dressed like these guys, you are automatically considered "straight" ?

Village_People_JPEG_002.jpg

BTW, I'm the one in the headress and warpaint.

Sounds like their ultimate goal was to maintain the ratio of men to women.. not strait to gay... for the benefit of the regular patrons since this is not a gay bar.

You dont need gaydar to tell men from women... i'm guessing there weren't any groups of lesbians being forced to wait in line. There were probably also groups of single guys looking to meet single girls that were forced to wait in the guy line.... talk about getting the shaft.

There is either more to this, or less.

Notice how the e-mail you pasted has "(Houston, TX, March 14, 2009)" at the start -- like it's pretending to be from a newspaper or news service or something, but it's not. A quick Google shows the only place this exists is in this thread, on two blogs, and a club web site -- likely all posted by the same person with an ax to grind (I'm not saying that BryanS has an ax to grind -- he's just re-posting an e-mail he received).

Someone sees, or hears second-hand about a situation, possibly misunderstands what's going on, writes a little fake news story about it and we're all supposed to believe it's real? Something happened Friday night and by Saturday morning a coalition of gay rights groups listed above came together and denounced this? Ever try to get in touch with the spokespeople for four different community groups on a Saturday morning? Good luck with that. You'll be lucky to get three to respond by Monday afternoon.

While the author may have been well-intentioned, this e-mail has by BS meter going off in so many ways. I'm not saying that there isn't some merit to the accusation. But we haven't heard the whole story and we haven't heard from the bar concerned. To me it sounds like one person who's gotten all worked up and is trying to cause some trouble.

I don't understand the problem. Why would gay people (and for that matter, fair-minded straight people) want to patronize a bar run by homophobes in the first place? If the owner of a bar wants to economically punish himself for his backward beliefs by making a bunch of noise, I say let him. The bar won't be around for much longer. And there you have it: justice is served.

You make a lot of assumptions and accusations here. You imply that the bar is run by homophobes. You imply that the bar owner has "backward" anti-gay beliefs. Any proof to those accusations, or are you just accepting that what came in an anonymous random e-mail is the truth?

This situation needs more light, less heat.

I had a bunch of friends who went to this and I probably would have had I been in town. I think they are making it a bigger deal than it was. Any bar in Midtown with a person working the door is going to have a strict guy/girl ratio policy. People just sometimes like to stir the pot when there is no need for it.

A few things...

First, I've only posted the above here on HAIF (way off topic!). I imagine that others, who are on that email distribution, posted it else where. I don't know how I ended up on that distribution, but I found that email rather interesting. I don

This is a load of crap - I was actually there inside with 4 of my gay friends since they thought it would be fun. I know the owner and from my understanding, he said it would be OK so long as they kept a certain guy/girl ratio...hardly uncommon. I was even told this before the event started, as we showed up at like 9 to avoid the rush. I never saw the line actually form, but from what I heard it was a long line of guys (like 150?). Gay or straight, that many guys showing up at once to any club will have problems getting in. I obviously wasn't present for any discussions with the owner but can assure that my gay friends have never had any problems there

Not if it was pre-coordinated. It's raining outside. There's no one inside. We know the gays are here. We knew they'd be here. Let them in.

Once we hear more of the details... your gay friends should consider not going there, if that is warranted.

Not if it was pre-coordinated. It's raining outside.

Who cares if it's raining. People aren't dogs. They're not going to smell funny if they get a little wet.

There's no one inside.

An assumption. We don't know yet how many people were inside. If it was a normal crowd, or a heavy crowd, or as you postulate "no one." Again, the e-mail was very light on facts and very heavy on hyperbole.

Once we hear more of the details... your gay friends should consider not going there, if that is warranted.

If it's warranted, I agree with you. But too many people are drawing conclusions when no evidence has been presented.

You're letting yourself be used by the author of an anonymous e-mail to trash a business. Someone's hard work. Unchecked claims posing as facts can destroy a business, which means that dozens of people are out of work and dozens of other businesses are hurt.

It's happened before. Heck, it's happened in Midtown. It happened to the first bagel joint that set up shop there. It had its reputation destroyed by false information and it went out of business.

I don

You make a lot of assumptions and accusations here. You imply that the bar is run by homophobes. You imply that the bar owner has "backward" anti-gay beliefs. Any proof to those accusations, or are you just accepting that what came in an anonymous random e-mail is the truth?

This situation needs more light, less heat.

Your points about the questionable legitimacy of the article, press release, or whatever the e-mail was intended to be are well-taken, and I completely agree that more light needs to be shed on this controversy. Having said that, I think that the same kind of skepticism should be applied to all journalism; certainly I can think of examples where I've been personally involved that stories have been botched and where I could only hope (against fate) that readers greeted an article with an open mind. The reality is that we're uncertain. We don't frequently don't have all the information and often have the wrong information, but unless you were there, assumptions are necessary to participate in a meaningful discussion.

All that aside, the very fact that this "news" is circulating reflects a tendency towards oversensitivity and overreaction on the part of (a significant part of) the gay community. Taken at face value (which you've established correctly should be in question), I still have to wonder whether this event really is a justification for some kind of a new legal protection for the reasons I submitted in post #2. If I can defeat the argument that is presented, then the validity of the premises is irrelevant.

So if a bar owner decides to "economically punish himself" but refusing to serve blacks, I suppose that would be OK too. After all, why would they even want to go to a bar owned by a racist?

There isn't a bar in this city that wouldn't welcome 150 patrons with cash and good credit, to sip on appletinis or cosmos in their bar. For Pete's sake, just show up, it doesn't have to be an event. Can't the GLBT have a get together of friends without having to make it an event?

That's where I am on this also. No one would turn away that kind of cash in a single evening. However, if the G&L community continues to push by using the tactic of event-as-statement, then they can expect to get some push back.

I'm as accepting a straight person as there is in the world, but I can tell you - if I were a bar owner and 150 people showed up en masse with the thought of being the face of my bar for an evening, regardless of group ideals\membership\etc, they would not be welcome.

The GLBT shouldn't toot their own horns about their "Guerilla Gay Nights". There isn't a bar in this city that wouldn't welcome 150 patrons with cash and good credit, to sip on appletinis or cosmos in their bar. For Pete's sake, just show up, it doesn't have to be an event. Can't the GLBT have a get together of friends without having to make it an event? Is that possible? Haifers don't announce to the Shiloh, "WOOoooo HOOoooo... LOOK... IT'S US, WE ARE HERE!"

Interesting quote in that piece Bryan, "Patrons started lining up at about 9:40 p.m. and were told to wait in line and not allowed inside, even as straight-appearing people were waved through." How do they know ? So, if you don't go to a bar dressed like these guys, you are automatically considered "straight" ?

Village_People_JPEG_002.jpg

BTW, I'm the one in the headress and warpaint.

is it me or does the cowboy in the back look like john tesh?

it's frustrating that the gay community prolongs the "we are victims" mentality by having "events" such as this. assimilate people. "events" are not required.

i see the mgmt put a statement out on a website which obviously conflicts with the bryans email:

The staff and management at Union Bar are very apologetic for the misunderstanding that happened at their place of business. Union Bar in no way refuses entry to any persons due to sexual orientation, race, gender or religion. We do have a capacity of 117 persons as set forth by the City Of Houston and The Fire Marshal. We follow this guild line to the letter for guest and employee safety. This was the main factor or refusing entry Friday night. Persons have booked parties 6 to 7 weeks in advance and have limited of RSVP so their guests have the right to entry first. The Guest in question was allowed to bring his 50 RSVP guest. His party showed up at 10 with approximately 200 guests and could in no way accommodate that. We offered to take all 50 guests and he demanded that we let in all. Accordance to city code we could not allow this. At no time was the staff of Union Bar rude or uninventive to their needs while inside. At 10pm we were almost at capacity and the enclosed pictures will show that (1) We were almost full (2) We had a very high numbers of male guests that were not turned away."

We would be open to speak with the GL community on this and help prove to the G&L committee that we are a gay friendly bar!

If you have any questions please contact Union Management for further assistance.

Not if it was pre-coordinated. It's raining outside. There's no one inside. We know the gays are here. We knew they'd be here. Let them in.

It was apparently pre-coordinated, but it sounds like there was potentially some miscommunication on the girl:guy ratio issue. For all we know whoever had the discussion with the owner failed to mention this in the invites...either way, we're probably never going to know the full story. I'm going to keep going there and so will my friends because we know the owner and know that this isn't a valid issue at this paricular bar

Simply having gay friends, taking up a "metrosexual" persona, living near/in Montrose or your local gayeighborhood, and liking the occasional gay/lesbian character on TV is not enough.

Maybe next time you could be even more condescending when you're speaking for people you don't know.

So if a bar owner decides to "economically punish himself" but refusing to serve blacks, I suppose that would be OK too. After all, why would they even want to go to a bar owned by a racist?

Yes, that should be legally permissible. And yes, why would blacks want to go to a bar owned by a self-acclaimed racist? For that matter, why would you or I want to go there?

So the letter-writer claims 100 people showed up. The establishment has a capacity of 117. Someone's going to be left out.

Unless some evidence to the contrary shows up, this appears to be a non-outrage. The letter writer will have to scream "hate crime" somewhere else.

So the letter-writer claims 100 people showed up. The establishment has a capacity of 117. Someone's going to be left out.

Unless some evidence to the contrary shows up, this appears to be a non-outrage. The letter writer will have to scream "hate crime" somewhere else.

From the bar's facebook:

Persons have booked parties 6 to 7 weeks in advance and have limited of RSVP so their guests have the right to entry first. The Guest in question was allowed to bring his 50 RSVP guest. His party showed up at 10 with approximately 200 guests and could in no way accommodate that. We offered to take all 50 guests and he demanded that we let in all. Accordance to city code we could not allow this. At no time was the staff of Union Bar rude or uninventive to their needs while inside.

He also mentions that they do indeed have a 117 person capacity. I don't remember how many were inside at 10 p.m. or so, but it was most certainly not empty. Sounds as if this was simply poor planning on the part of the "Guerrila Gay Bar" organizer

Appears that there is an actual news story on the matter:

KHOU Story

Archived