HAIF Statistics of Interest

editor

About a month ago I installed a new bit of software to collect statistics on HAIF and its users. Nothing evil or personal, just aggregate statistics.

There are a lot of chart and stat junkies on HAIF and I get a lot of requests for information about the forum. Unfortunately, most of the systems I have in place for analyzing traffic on HAIF prohibit me from sharing the data. But this new one doesn't.

Anyway, with almost a month of data, here's the most interesting point IMHO:

- Only 2.25% of HAIFers connect via dialup.

The last time I saw a dialup statistic for HAIF was about five years ago when I was testing another system, and it reported closer to 40%.

I think it's interesting to see how much broadband has penetrated the state. I can say "state" because the same application shows that 75% of HAIFers are in Texas. 61% of HAIFers are within the city of Houston and its immediate enclaves (i.e., Bellaire). The next highest area is the Barker (but not Cypress) area along I-10 with 4%, and then Dallas, Alief, and Cypress tie with 3% each.

Sadly, Galveston is less than half a percent. Any suggestions about what we can do to bring more people in from the island is appreciated.

If there's any specific statistic you're interested in, let me know and I'll see if I can dig it out.

Another one I just found:

An average of 35 people a day HAIF from their iPhones.

Sadly, Galveston is less than half a percent. Any suggestions about what we can do to bring more people in from the island is appreciated.

Nobody knows for sure what Galveston's population is, but let's say that it is 30,000. Houston is nearing 2,300,000, and that's probably about right if you add in the enclave cities.

If you set up and solve a proportion 2,300,000/61% = 30,000/x, then x is 0.8%. That would be what you should expect from Galveston assuming that HAIF is just as appealing and useful for them as it is for the typical Houstonian. ...but that's just not the case. Personally, I think you ought to just accept that. Houstonians like to think of Galveston as being in their own back yard but Galvestonians tend to scoff at the idea. Most of them prefer to think of Galveston as exerting its own independent sphere of influence. A Houston forum isn't directed at them.

Do you have any statistics on average amount of time per HAIFer spent on the forum? (per day maybe)

I think you may have said this before, but how many people can you guesstimate come upon it by accident, like from a google search.

Do you have any statistics on average amount of time per HAIFer spent on the forum? (per day maybe)

Four minutes, 14 seconds per day.

I think you may have said this before, but how many people can you guesstimate come upon it by accident, like from a google search.

60% of each day's visitors come from search engines.

• 87% from Google
  • 9% from Yahoo!
  • 2% from AOL
  • 0.8% from MSN
  • 0.6% from Search
  • 0.4% from Live
  • 0.2% from Ask
  • 0.1% from CNN (I'm not sure why that's considered a search engine)
  • 0.1% from Altavista
  • 0.1% from Netscape

One thing i am curious about is how many core users you have.

I know there are a good sized number on here, but only a few of us loudmouths post regularly on here.

30% of HAIFers visit HAIF every day -- seven days a week. For some reason I'm uneasy about giving an exact number, but let's say it's somewhere between 5,000 and 10,000 people.

Then there is a group of people who visit HAIF between 2-5 days a week. This is about 20% of the HAIFers.

The third group is 50% of the HAIF visitors, who come here once, view an average of 1.78 pages, and then are never seen again. Or at least have not been seen again in the just-under-a-month that I've been running the new tracking system.

I always told my mom i was above average.

flipper

I wish there was a way to figure out how long those hard-core seven-day HAIFers spend on HAIF each day, but it doesn't tell me that. It might violate my self-imposed privacy policy, anyway.

Four minutes, 14 seconds per day.

30% of HAIFers visit HAIF every day -- seven days a week. For some reason I'm uneasy about giving an exact number, but let's say it's somewhere between 5,000 and 10,000 people.

Then there is a group of people who visit HAIF between 2-5 days a week. This is about 20% of the HAIFers.

The third group is 50% of the HAIF visitors, who come here once, view an average of 1.78 pages, and then are never seen again. Or at least have not been seen again in the just-under-a-month that I've been running the new tracking system.

I had no idea the number was that high, although I now know that my neighbor is a lurker, since he called me RedScare the other day. He put 2 and 2 together when I talked about my 2 neighbors dealing in death. Yeah, Bub, I'm talking about you again!!! :D

I had no idea the number was that high, although I now know that my neighbor is a lurker, since he called me RedScare the other day. He put 2 and 2 together when I talked about my 2 neighbors dealing in death. Yeah, Bub, I'm talking about you again!!! :D

If I was able to distribute about 10,000 HAIF hats to the HAIFers and everyone wore them on the same day, I think a lot of people would be very surprised by who's wearing them.

If I was able to distribute about 10,000 HAIF hats to the HAIFers and everyone wore them on the same day, I think a lot of people would be very surprised by who's wearing them.

It would be kind of funny if we had a day where all HAIFers decided to wear the same thing, like red button up shirts or something like that. Of course, we'd be suspicious of everyone who wore them and wondering if it's coincidence or a real HAIFer, until we stop, sort of stared, pointed fingers with palm up by the hip at each other, wonderng if, wait...yes...you're a HAIFer!

But then again, I guess that would only work if you worked a big company most likely.

My guess is I don't know any HAIFers

My guess is I don't know any HAIFers

It's not the people you know -- it's the people you don't know. The grocery store clerk, the politician, the garbage man, the news anchor, the guy in the car next to you at the traffic light that you notice are all wearing HAIF buttons.

I wear my HAIF shirt about once a week or so, and I've never had anyone comment on it or ask about it. I get lots of comments about my Frisky Dingo and Metalocalypse shirts, though. So I'm guessing the people I meet on a regular basis aren't HAIFers, and predicting that HAIFers don't smoke a lot of weed and watch late night cartoons.

Interesting statistics. Poor Souls that still use dial up, id probably put a bullet in my head. =(

Right now I'm HAIFing tethered to my iPhone. Since it's the older model, I get pretty much dialup speeds. It's not all that bad.

I think the reason I remember dialup as being horrible is because back then the computers were less powerful and rendered the pages more slowly. Of course, I'm not trying to stream any video here, but at least HAIF works pretty well.

So I'm guessing the people I meet on a regular basis aren't HAIFers, and predicting that HAIFers don't smoke a lot of weed and watch late night cartoons.

That's only because I still have a day job. The minute AIG cans me, it all changes. Hell, last night I watched 2 of the worst Keanu Reeves movies ever (Bram Stokers Dracula, Constantine) back to back. I'm one step away from the bong and Nickleodeon.

I have the HAIF bumpersticker. 5 people have asked me what it was, and then I got to pimp the HAIF. I'm sure one day I'll run into someone at a light or in a parking lot.

That's only because I still have a day job. The minute AIG cans me, it all changes. Hell, last night I watched 2 of the worst Keanu Reeves movies ever (Bram Stokers Dracula, Constantine) back to back. I'm one step away from the bong and Nickleodeon.

I have the HAIF bumpersticker. 5 people have asked me what it was, and then I got to pimp the HAIF. I'm sure one day I'll run into someone at a light or in a parking lot.

You'll be on my level.

Is there a sticker that says "Honk if you're a HAIFer"?

Now there's an idea! Reminds me of the Buccee's bumper sticker's that reads "I break for Beaver's" :lol:

I still say a little Haif gavel is very appropriate because most on here act like they are judges in a courtroom and are always right. A close second would be a bullet proof Haif vest.

Now there's an idea! Reminds me of the Buccee's bumper sticker's that reads "I break for Beaver's" :lol:

I still say a little Haif gavel is very appropriate because most on here act like they are judges in a courtroom and are always right. A close second would be a bullet proof Haif vest.

that's funny, especially since one very opinionated haifer has spent many many hours in local court rooms.

i always enjoy haif stats. keep 'em comin' editor.

I wear my HAIF shirt about once a week or so, and I've never had anyone comment on it or ask about it. I get lots of comments about my Frisky Dingo and Metalocalypse shirts, though. So I'm guessing the people I meet on a regular basis aren't HAIFers, and predicting that HAIFers don't smoke a lot of weed and watch late night cartoons.

You'd be surprised...

Right now I'm HAIFing tethered to my iPhone. Since it's the older model, I get pretty much dialup speeds. It's not all that bad.

I think the reason I remember dialup as being horrible is because back then the computers were less powerful and rendered the pages more slowly. Of course, I'm not trying to stream any video here, but at least HAIF works pretty well.

I've been HAIFing from my t-mobile phone. What does that show up as? The Browser leaves the last website I visited and stays up until I go to another one or turn off my phone.

You'd be surprised...

I've been HAIFing from my t-mobile phone. What does that show up as? The Browser leaves the last website I visited and stays up until I go to another one or turn off my phone.

It would show up as an Android phone. I believe I listed the exact identity string in another thread. It's the 10th most popular browser & OS combination on HAIF with 0.37% share.

Here is the ranking of mobile devices on HAIF:

• 1.15% - Danger Hiptop (T-Mobile Sidekick)
  • 0.97% - iPhone
  • 0.37% - Android
  • 0.11% - iPod Touch
  • 0.02% - Palm
  • 0.01% - Blackberry 9530
  • 0.01% - Samsung SGH-I617
  • 0.00% - Blackberry 9000
  • 0.00% - Sony PSP
  • 0.00% - Blackberry 8900b
  • 0.00% - HTC 8500
  • 0.00% - HTC 8900
  • 0.00% - LG LX600 Polaris
  • 0.00% - Non-Safari iPhone
  • 0.00% - Blackberry 8900a
  • 0.00% - HTC P3701
  • 0.00% - Samsung SGH-I907

Other Platforms Worth Noting (for obscurity uniqueness or whatever):

• 0.10% - Konqueror on Linux
  • 0.03% - Firefox on SunOS
  • 0.02% - Playstation 3
  • 0.01% - Nintendo Wii
  • 0.01% - Seamonkey on Macintosh
  • 0.00% - Seamonkey on Linux
  • 0.00% - Netscape on SunOS
  • 0.00% - Netscape on Linux
  • 0.00% - Firefox on AIX
  • 0.00% - Firefox on FreeBSD

Do your stats show which topics are most found via google and other search engines?

These are the top 25 searches that brought people to HAIF in the month I've been monitoring:

1. haif
  2. houston architecture forum
  3. darby douglas
  4. shane mcdermott
  5. haif forum
  6. darby douglas khou
  7. raveneaux country club
  8. dominique sachse
  9. houston architecture
  10. lisa foronda
  11. "tea party"
  12. southpointe houston
  13. houston warehouse district
  14. houston nicholson bike trail map
  15. pets
  16. cookbook
  17. historicaerialscom marmer
  18. tillman fertitta
  19. smitty's lockhart
  20. drainage
  21. spring shadows
  22. "flood plain" meyerland
  23. houston haif
  24. shadow creek marketplace

How many unique HAIF accesses were created by the time you get down to the bottom of the list. Some of these are pretty obscure.

The 0.00% rounding error range is mostly a couple of dozen unique devices/visitors each.

Wow my Nokia N95 didn't show up?

I looked again and I don't see it. It's possible that it's not explicitly identifying itself. There are a bunch of devices reporting themselves as generic Mozilla, generic IE, or generic Netfront compatible browsers but that refuse to identify their operating system. It could be in that group.

These are the top 25 searches that brought people to HAIF in the month I've been monitoring:

1. haif

I bet a bunch of those were me. Somehow I lost my HAIF bookmark, and for at least a month, I just typed 'haif' into the google bar of my browser to get here. I probably did this 2-3 times a day. Don't ask me why I didn't just create a new bookmark until about a week ago. :unsure:

Archived