Ductless A/C Systems

Knocking on wood the central a/c and heat system are chugging along well. But I am looking at available alternatives to central systems for a 2000 sq ft single story house built in 1959.

Have any of you had any experience converting from a central system to a ductless system? I've done enough research to know my interest in picqued.

I wonder how if would work in our August/September sauna days.

Any advice/feedback/comments are appreciated.

I've been looking into A/C alternatives for my detached garage and the next step up from a ductless system is a Mini-split A/C where the compressor is remote located outside to solve the noise problem, but you still have one ductless type unit on the wall.

It seems like a good alternative, but I'm assuming that since it's two pieces that it's not a total DIY job since you'll need an A/C guy to install the freon.

Split units are the norm in most of the world. In the 7 or so years I've lived overseas since 1990, I've had split units. They are not quiet, and they cost more to run than central AC, because you have multiple compressors running - one for each unit. I wouldn't have them in Houston except on a garage or very small house. Or, in a house with concrete walls, floors, and ceilings, where it's impractical to run ducting.

I've been looking into A/C alternatives for my detached garage and the next step up from a ductless system is a Mini-split A/C where the compressor is remote located outside to solve the noise problem, but you still have one ductless type unit on the wall.

It seems like a good alternative, but I'm assuming that since it's two pieces that it's not a total DIY job since you'll need an A/C guy to install the freon.

Actually that is what I have. the compressor is on the roof. there is a small amount of ductwork for the vents but the return is on the wall right in front of the blower. Still noisy.

These systems (the type with inverter driven compressors) are probably better suited to our climate than typical central systems since they are totally computer controlled and can modulate the amount of cooling and dehumidification delivered. You can also get systems which have a single condenser that will increase and decrease the amount of heat removal it is providing to serve multiple indoor units....a big money saver if you only need to cool a couple rooms.

• 10 years later...

didn't want to create a new thread so....

I've bought a lovely old house that someone put split units in.  Does anyone know of a a/c company in central houston that might specialize in these units? I kind of just need someone to walk me through maintenance best practices, etc.   

Archived