Deauville Fashion Mall?

IronTiger

what other information are you looking for? the stores were relatively unknown IMO. i believe there was a place that sold electronics (federated perhaps?) the theater was torn down a few yrs ago but the rest of the buildings are still there.

I mean, what was it like inside? Did Builder's Square open into the indoors?

I vaguely remember an off-white metal ceiling, maybe flocked with insulation. I think I saw "Brazil" there. It had stores and people shopping in them.

I mean, what was it like inside? Did Builder's Square open into the indoors?

Builders Square and the Loews were standalone stores in the parking lot.

Only the part where currently Bed Bath Beyond, Sports Authority, and Bel Furniture is (I think that is the former Best Buy) was an indoor mall.

I think I remember a Bealls being there but i dont remember anything else.

I used to go here fairly often in the early 90s. Mostly to the theatre, but I also shopped at Oshman's (later Sports Authority) and the Builders Square. I once bought a dishwasher from an appliance store next to the theatre, but it's name escapes me.

In my opinion, it was a misnomer to call this place a mall. I was more of a strip-mall. It looked like any other strip mall, and thus it had no special attraction, which could be why it failed.

In my opinion, it was a misnomer to call this place a mall. I was more of a strip-mall. It looked like any other strip mall, and thus it had no special attraction, which could be why it failed.

In the 90's it had already been converted to a strip mall.

Deauville Fashion Mall closed in the mid 80s and then later it was remade as a strip center.

The part that currently houses Bel Furniture, Bed Bath & Beyond, and Sports Authority used to have interior hallways with smaller stores and such and that was Deauville.

I am not sure that Builder's Square and the Loews Theater were ever considered part of the Deauville Mall.

They just happened to share the parking lot.

I believe there was another Deauville Mall on the northside somewhere.

I hate malls. Anyone else hate malls?

Hating a mall is a pretty useless function. It's an inanimate object. It does not live, breath, think--it does not conspire against you. Don't hate the mall, hate the user.

And even then, I would think that some users of malls can be excused. For instance, I have been known to go to a mall for a hair cut if that means that I can avoid going to someplace that is either insufficiently masculine or where the Vietnamese women badtalk you in their native language while you're getting your cut. I have also been known to drop in at a J.C. Penney or Sears for a shirt, tie, belt, or shoes, or to go to a Lenscrafter's if I need a repair done to my glasses. These are not inherently annoying or dysfunctional stores, so I do not believe myself to be in any way, shape, or form culpable for the negative aspects of malls...such as Hot Topic.

There were several of these Deauxville Malls around Houston. One on 45 North had a Gardenridge move in after it closed. So did the one on I 10 West. The one at Baybrook just closed the mall portion and extended the buildings back through the mall area to enlarge them. This is a perfect example of why you don't base your entire business plan on a State Law that can change. The whole theroy of these places were they were going to be open on Sundays at a time when the "real" malls were not. It was a major challenge to the Blue Laws in the state of Texas. After they opened they were crowded on Sundays but dead the rest of the week. When the "real" malls saw that there was no major outcry with them being open and the State publically stated that they would take no action against them then the "real" malls started opening with limited hours on Sundays (12 till 6). As soon as that happened Deauxville lost what customers it had on Sundays and they were closing up or converting soon afterwards.

Any relation to Deauville Square? Despite the name, it was a strip mall at I-45 North and Dyna, just north of West Rd. It had its heyday around the same timeframe that Greenspoint Mall did, and the anchor tenants were Randall's, Walgreens, Furr's Cafeteria, and a two-screen movie theater. Like many other places in that vicinity, it looks pretty sad now, but it was a popular destination back in the day.

Any relation to Deauville Square? Despite the name, it was a strip mall at I-45 North and Dyna, just north of West Rd. It had its heyday around the same timeframe that Greenspoint Mall did, and the anchor tenants were Randall's, Walgreens, Furr's Cafeteria, and a two-screen movie theater. Like many other places in that vicinity, it looks pretty sad now, but it was a popular destination back in the day.

Didn't that movie theatre show x-rated flicks? Kids I grew up with always said they did.

The one in Kingwood became a hospital. You could walk around inside the "mall" and go to different clinics and diagnostic departments. Kind of odd for a hospital but different enough. It was part of HCA/Humama/Columbia.

Hating a mall is a pretty useless function. It's an inanimate object. It does not live, breath, think--it does not conspire against you. Don't hate the mall, hate the user.

And even then, I would think that some users of malls can be excused. For instance, I have been known to go to a mall for a hair cut if that means that I can avoid going to someplace that is either insufficiently masculine or where the Vietnamese women badtalk you in their native language while you're getting your cut. I have also been known to drop in at a J.C. Penney or Sears for a shirt, tie, belt, or shoes, or to go to a Lenscrafter's if I need a repair done to my glasses. These are not inherently annoying or dysfunctional stores, so I do not believe myself to be in any way, shape, or form culpable for the negative aspects of malls...such as Hot Topic.

LOL...the Vietnamese hairdressers aren't badtalking you in Vietnamese unless you really did something to piss them off. :o They're just yaking about the weather or what they ate for lunch etc.

• 2 weeks later...

There were at least four Deauville Malls in the Houston area.

Kingwood - This became a hospital like the other poster said.

Stafford - A majority of this mall was converted into a Garden Ridge, but then the Garden Ridge went out of business. Some parts remain. Located right next to Stafford police department and therefore undesirable to enter.

Spring - Some portions have been converted into a tile store, a church, and a small strip mall, but over half of the mall sits unleased, and un-remodeled from it's status when it closed down.

South Houston - This became the large strip mall type deal as the one poster said.

There is another strange mall off 45 and Richey which was formerly Garden Ridge. I have no idea what mall this used to be but I do not think it was related to Deauville. Same with the mall off I-10 out in Katy. Both of these malls have identical construction and both were taken up by Garden Ridge. The 45 one is now a really terrible flea market and they have gutted the inside so it is no longer congruent. The I-10 mall is still open with Garden Ridge, and still retains the mall "feel". There are even secret restrooms you can access in the store!

I have been inside of the Spring mall. It is abandoned, although they are trying to lease it. It is as it was left when the mall closed. There are still signs for some of the old shops posted. The food court shows evidence of a Brother's Pizza, maybe a Subway, and other shops. Next to that is a Waterbed Hut or some such type store, and then a jewelry store. There is one area which was an electronics store operated by Federated.

In the back is a very large store which was operated by Kmart Corporation. It was a discount clothing store but the name escapes me right now.

Off to one side is the mall administration area. This is the only part with electricity. The fluorescent tubes have been burning here since 1993; most of them have died. The mailboxes still contain new in package 1993 Southwestern Bell Yellow Pages. A filing cabinet contains old mall documents including a floor plan of the Kingwood mall as well as receipts and other paperwork.

If you ever wanted to explore an abandoned building, the Spring Deauville mall is the place to go. However, watch out as the business across the parking lot (some sort of file storage company) has apparently made a deal with the mall owners to store items in the old discount clothing store. So there may now be security, etc. or cameras monitoring the mall.

I have pictures if anyone is interested.

Didn't that movie theatre show x-rated flicks? Kids I grew up with always said they did.

It didn't when it first opened, but at some point they started showing adult movies on one of the two screens. I think it eventually went x-rated on both screens before closing.

The way it was set up, each screen had a separate entrance at the front of the building, and a concession stand/candy counter bisected the lobby. Attendees to the first film would place their orders from one side of the counter, and attendees to the second film from the other. You could see all the way across the lobby, and if you were ordering food, you'd be facing the other film's customers across the counter.

This lobby configuration got a lot more interesting when x-rated fare was on screen one and regular Hollywood fare was on screen two. I always wondered if any screen two customers unexpectedly ran into a neighbor ordering a hot dog and some popcorn before heading into the screen one auditorium. :o

• 1 month later...

I stumbled upon this and thought it was interesting in a historical sense I guess. In 1985 Deauville Corporation brought a suit against Montgomery Ward and Federated, who was developing "GreensGate Mall" (now known as Greenspoint Mall). Apparently, Deauville had an agreement to build a mall anchored by MW on I-45 @ 1960, which was a couple of miles north of Greenspoint. Federated wasn't interested in having MW as an anchor at Greenspoint initially but they soon learned of the new Deauville/MW Mall. Federated then went to MW and made an offer to anchor at Greenspoint, effectively killing off any regional competition, including Deauville Corp new mall.

Deauville Corp vs. Wards/Federated

This is so weird..... I remember the Deauville Mall in Stafford... or Meadows Place, on 59 at W. Airport. It had the Federated and Loews theater. I also remember there being a place in the mall that was just a huge indoor playground/arcade/etc. that you could have birthday parties at (or whatever parties). Don't know if this has been mentioned, but what I seem to remember is that it was built right about the time the huge oil bust hit..... and like everything else opened during that period, it crashed and burned and never came back. The place was a ghost town from the time it opened.... must have been about 1985. Building's tenants have changed so many times, I can't even remember what's in there now.... a furniture place maybe?

There were at least four Deauville Malls in the Houston area.

Kingwood - This became a hospital like the other poster said.

Stafford - A majority of this mall was converted into a Garden Ridge, but then the Garden Ridge went out of business. Some parts remain. Located right next to Stafford police department and therefore undesirable to enter.

Spring - Some portions have been converted into a tile store, a church, and a small strip mall, but over half of the mall sits unleased, and un-remodeled from it's status when it closed down.

South Houston - This became the large strip mall type deal as the one poster said.

There is another strange mall off 45 and Richey which was formerly Garden Ridge. I have no idea what mall this used to be but I do not think it was related to Deauville. Same with the mall off I-10 out in Katy. Both of these malls have identical construction and both were taken up by Garden Ridge. The 45 one is now a really terrible flea market and they have gutted the inside so it is no longer congruent. The I-10 mall is still open with Garden Ridge, and still retains the mall "feel". There are even secret restrooms you can access in the store!

I have been inside of the Spring mall. It is abandoned, although they are trying to lease it. It is as it was left when the mall closed. There are still signs for some of the old shops posted. The food court shows evidence of a Brother's Pizza, maybe a Subway, and other shops. Next to that is a Waterbed Hut or some such type store, and then a jewelry store. There is one area which was an electronics store operated by Federated.

In the back is a very large store which was operated by Kmart Corporation. It was a discount clothing store but the name escapes me right now.

Off to one side is the mall administration area. This is the only part with electricity. The fluorescent tubes have been burning here since 1993; most of them have died. The mailboxes still contain new in package 1993 Southwestern Bell Yellow Pages. A filing cabinet contains old mall documents including a floor plan of the Kingwood mall as well as receipts and other paperwork.

If you ever wanted to explore an abandoned building, the Spring Deauville mall is the place to go. However, watch out as the business across the parking lot (some sort of file storage company) has apparently made a deal with the mall owners to store items in the old discount clothing store. So there may now be security, etc. or cameras monitoring the mall.

I have pictures if anyone is interested.

I would love to see any pics you have! Is this Spring location by the old blimp field?

• 2 years later...

The former Garden Ridge Pottery off I-45 and Airtex opened in approximately 1983 as "Buyer's Market - the off-price mall". It opened about the same time that the 3 Deauville Fashion Mall's opened. Their slogan was "everyone loves a bargain". They opened with great fanfare as a challenge to the Texas Blue Laws. The other shopping malls were closed on Sundays. The Buyer's Market and Deauville Malls did not have traditional stores or anchors. One of the anchors that faced the freeway in Buyer's Market was called "Lavender's". It was a large floral/greenery and crafts store. Once the regular malls opened on Sundays their business dried up and they closed shop.

Archived