Where is the best place to buy live crawfish?

I was very disappointed when I searched for "crawfish" in post titles...I got 3 and one was about some poor soul not liking them.

Anyway, where should I be looking for a good deal and big ones? I got some from Fiesta last year and they sucked, were very small. I am not picky and am willing to drive a little if it's worth it. I usually get mine on the way to Baton Rouge at exit 53 or some random place without a town, in a "building" that doesn't have walls where they clean them right there next to the pond. But that's too far to go to do a boil in Houston.

And please no responses about where to get them at restaurants, I'm not paying a premium on my crawfish to have someone else do them completely wrong. Season the shells...yeah great idea sherlock, and charge $3 a pound for them to boot!

L&L Seafood is where we have always gone in past. I would recommend you call in mid-week and pre-order/reserve so you don't have to wait in line on a Saturday morning as they can get pretty busy with walk-up business. Haven't been this year so I do not know what is happening with size or pricing.

L&L Seafood

517 W Mount Houston Rd (just east of I-45 & Hwy 249 intersection)

Houston, TX 77037

(281) 445-0044

Airline Seafood (my favorite place to get fresh fish and seafood in town) has crawfish in right now for $2.95 per pound. They're average sized, not huge, but GOOD.

If you want them already cooked and just want to pig out without all the work, Pappadeaux is running a special through April 30th: 1 1/4 pounds for $4.95. Mondays and Tuesdays only, from 5pm till close.

Happy eating! :)

ETA: Forgot to mention Bayou City Seafood. Their crawfish are pretty big this season. Running a special now for $4.95 per pound on Wednesdays from 2pm till 9pm and all day on Sundays. Otherwise, the crawfish there is $5.95 per pound.

Also, Baja Party Bar is running a special for $1.95 per pound on Fridays and Sundays, but I've heard their crawfish aren't that good this season. But, hey, for $1.95 per pound, who really cares?

Thanks for all of the suggestions, we will be checking them out in the next few weekends.

Definitely not paying more than $1.50/lb for live crawfish...and I'd rather see that drop to around $1.25. If they don't get cheaper than that here, I just won't get them here. It's worth a special trip back home to LA to get them cheaper and bigger. Hell we pay less than $2/lb to get them COOKED from a place in Baton Rouge, and they're awesome.

Don't have to drive all the way to Baton Rouge. Go on down to South East Texas Crawfish Farm, Exit 833, and then take the Frontage RD down to the next exit, they are on the South side of I 10. (409) 794-1387. They prepurge them for you and they are really nice mud bugs, prices are the best around.

Don't have to drive all the way to Baton Rouge. Go on down to South East Texas Crawfish Farm, Exit 833, and then take the Frontage RD down to the next exit, they are on the South side of I 10. (409) 794-1387. They prepurge them for you and they are really nice mud bugs, prices are the best around.

Now that's just about close enough to drive there and bring them back to Houston. I didn't mean to indicate that I go to BR just for crawfish, that's where our families live so it's just convenient that when we head there for a weekend we stop on the way or get them while there. My usual place is between Lake Charles and Lafayette, and sounds just like this place. They come very clean compared to the ones I got at Fiesta last year. Never again.

I'm adding that number to my phone now...

I'm looking for live bugs too, so thanks to all for the responses here. As an aside, a buddy of mine went to Mardi Gras Grill thinking they'd have good crawfish at a good price. They were $7/lb and he referred to them as 'plankton'. So I'd go elsewhere.

I'm looking for live bugs too, so thanks to all for the responses here. As an aside, a buddy of mine went to Mardi Gras Grill thinking they'd have good crawfish at a good price. They were $7/lb and he referred to them as 'plankton'. So I'd go elsewhere.

Is that the old Floyd's. If so, I've heard the same thing - SEVEN BUCKS!

You could also try 1800crawfish and give them a call.

Been getting crawfish from them for years. They are located down off or Hwy 6 and 45, but they do have a couple places in Houston where they make delivery stops you will just have to go meet them at designated location.

They have always told me they go get there crawfish from my neck of the woods in Pierre Part, La. Have no way to prove it but the bugs are always good and fresh although a bit full of swamp crap. Usually run around $1.50 to $2.00 a lb. Bit high sometimes but depends on the season and they do have to go get the things.

Man I miss the days of driving over to the boat launch and handing over $25 for a nice sack of crawfish straight out of the swamps and off the boat. Then agian I used to run traps and catch my own until I got tired of dealing with the damned Water moccasins.

Also as a note buying the very largest crawfish is the last thing you want to do. Stay with Medium to Large.

Just a suggestion though.

You gotta be crazy to pay that price for crawfish. Your looking at $110 + for a 35 lb sack and you gotta pick it up.

Watch your backside when bending over to pick up your crawfish. !!!!

Didn't realize they were that much. They will deliver if you are in a certain area, but that is pricy. Last year we had some at Woodrow's that came from this place that were the size of small lobsters.

Today bugs will run you:

Southeast Texas Crawfish Farm

11093 Bill Gaulding Rd

Beaumont, TX 77705

409-794-1387

Med/LG 2.60/lb purged

Doguet's Crawfish Farm

(409) 752-5105

Med/Lg 2.85/lb purged

Broussard's Crawfish Farm

(409) 253-2144

Nome, TX 77629

Med-LG 2.75/lb purged

Pickin's are pretty thin, they are not catching a lot. After this front blows through, prices will drop back down. to 1.50/lb. Traps are coming up short right now, so prices are holding. Two weeks ago, harvest was bwtter and the were a buck-fifty a pound, all large.

March252007051.jpg

SHORTYSPICS149.jpg

Archived