KPTY - Party 93.3 Shuts Down

citykid09

Will Houston get a new Hip Hop Station?

KBXX needs competetion, or it will go down hill.

I hate to see the station go but maybe it will leave room for a new Hip Hop & R&B station.

Troy Goodwin from the radio-info.com boards says:

First of all, after the Party was over in Houston, I can tell you that COX & Cumulus are in position to flip either KHJK or KHPT-two poorly rated stations-to Hip-Hop & R&B to directly compete with The Boxx. Right Now, KHMX is safe-for now, so I believe it's too close to The Boxx. Meanwhile, KRBE has tweaked its Top-40 format to go head to head with MIX, although that station has lost Sam Malone and I believe They might pick Seacrest up for its morning show fix, currently vacated by Michele Fisher.

Will Houston get a new Hip Hop Station?

KBXX needs competetion, or it will go down hill.

I hate to see the station go but maybe it will leave room for a new Hip Hop & R&B station.

Univision set the station up to fail but Im glad it will room for a new station

Univision set the station up to fail but Im glad it will room for a new station

Yeah, it was harder to tune in when they moved it to 93.3fm. Every time I listened though, there were good radio personalities, hate to see them leave.

Thursday, Jan. 27, 2005

Cumulus Makes Expected

Rock Move In Houston

In a move that has been expected since the hiring earlier this month of 20-year Houston Rock radio veteran Pat Fant as Market Manager, Cumulus today at noon flipped KRWP (Power 97.5) from Urban AC to "Rock 97-5." Cumulus/Houston execs are presently at a launch party to celebrate the station's flip to mainstream Rock, and a station executive tells R&R that its new call letters will be KIOL. The calls are reminiscent of KLOL, the longtime Houston Rocker that became Hispanic Urban "Mega 101" in November 2004. Cumulus is in the process of purchasing Country KVST/Willis, TX, which is upgrading its facilities by moving to 100kw and shifting its tower to La Porte, TX, located between the Houston and Beaumont, TX markets. The company is expected to eventually return KRWP's Urban AC presentation to KVST upon completing its acquisition of the station.

Here are some more hip hop/Urban stations I can remember in Houston:

Hot 97.1

Party 93.3, Party, 104.9, House Party 100.??

Power 97.5

95.7 the Wave

Anyone remember others?

Yeah, it was harder to tune in when they moved it to 93.3fm. Every time I listened though, there were good radio personalities, hate to see them leave.

Thursday, Jan. 27, 2005

Cumulus Makes Expected

Rock Move In Houston

Here are some more hip hop/Urban stations I can remember in Houston:

Hot 97.1

Party 93.3, Party, 104.9, House Party 100.??

Power 97.5

95.7 the Wave

Anyone remember others?

Would the old Jammin' 98.5/103.3 count as Urban?

93.3 sucked anyway. I hated all the Reggaetone songs they put on. We need pure Hip-Hop stations and 97.9 is it.

Well it was owned by Univision, so you know they are going to cater there own peoples urban music.

Archived