Wellborn And Harvey Mitchell Overpass?

IronTiger

- Concrete poles are in place on the west side.

- There's some construction going on west of Jones-Butler: the old road is torn up.

- The original concrete between the tracks is still there, as is the guard rails on the side of the road (east of the crossing)

- Turns out the Rock Prairie area was closed heading EAST. The railroad is there (and low!)

- There needs to be a stoplight at Cain/Navarro and Rock Prairie.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

-There's a sign on the corner of Holleman and Harvey Mitchell advertising office space. Unfortunately, it looks like the extension of Holleman they show will curve around and become Jones-Butler. I wish it would connect to Quail Run instead or something.

-Some more concrete walls are up on the west side

-Part of the frontage road has been blacktopped.

• 2 weeks later...

- The retaining walls are a good five feet or so, and feature images of cowboys.

- A few more pillars are being filled...one is wrapped up, indicating curing concrete. A mold for the "cross-section" that connects the pillars together is also on the scene.

- The metal-and-wood "guard rails" are finally gone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The crossbeam mold has been moved and the first crossbeam is complete.

No progress on the east side right now. I don't even see any dirt.

A sign advertising the Holleman extension continues to exist, but I haven't gotten a good look at it.

Well, the East Side does have dirt, but there's just a strange pile separating the original road from the detour road. But it appears to be moving soon.

West of Jones-Butler seems to be getting slow progress. There appears to be some rebar planted in the road. What's going on? huh.gif

I still haven't paid attention to the strange sticks, but it appears there's FINALLY progress on the frontage road west of Jones-Butler. It's still not a "road" yet. Also: there's some survey sticks between Welsh and Wellborn, north side.

• 3 weeks later...

The concrete "edge" for the retaining walls on the west side are complete!

The east side retaining wall is starting. One of the "cowboy" plates are put in.

What I'm worried about is that they'll have to close the existing part of Wellborn Road to complete the retaining wall. While they already to have a right-turn yield lane from Wellborn to 2818 (west bound), it's way too close to the railroad for comfort. The left hand turn is already long as it is! I'd hate having to be held up turning from Jones-Butler to 2818 due a long LHTL.

Unless they complete Holleman. From the plan, it looks a gentle curve, which would put it between Quail Run and Jones-Butler, roughly across from the water plant. If they connected it to Quail Run directly, they could eliminate the people turning right from Quail Run to Dowling then turning LEFT on Holleman.

Am I going insane or has this thread been truncated?

ANYWAY:

Retaining walls on east side are growing.

The mold is still on the West to South exit

The frontage road is slowly starting to take shape

South Wellborn is definitely looking better

Part of Wellborn Rd. south of the area is striped.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

It's been over a year and still isn't open. It's much different now, there's some signage on the eastern side (Exit signs among them), some paving for the turnaround lane, Holleman extension almost done, and some h-u-m-o-n-g-o-u-s light poles, highway style.

It's been over a year and still isn't open. It's much different now, there's some signage on the eastern side (Exit signs among them), some paving for the turnaround lane, Holleman extension almost done, and some h-u-m-o-n-g-o-u-s light poles, highway style.

That thing has taken them a really long time. When I left CS and headed back down to Houston back in August of last year, they had most of the structure up it seemed...and it's still not done. Once it does open, it will be nice. The traffic at that intersection was always bad around 5 pm when I was a student worker over at the fire field.

That thing has taken them a really long time. When I left CS and headed back down to Houston back in August of last year, they had most of the structure up it seemed...and it's still not done. Once it does open, it will be nice. The traffic at that intersection was always bad around 5 pm when I was a student worker over at the fire field.

Apparently there's going to be another lane change tomorrow. There was a lane change back in the summer, when they switched Wellborn traffic over to the new stretch and even had two stoplights up for a while.

At least the Holleman extension is pretty much done and will be opening in a few days (March 1st on paper, but it still looks unlikely at this point, given the last few touches they need to do)

Apparently there's going to be another lane change tomorrow. There was a lane change back in the summer, when they switched Wellborn traffic over to the new stretch and even had two stoplights up for a while.

At least the Holleman extension is pretty much done and will be opening in a few days (March 1st on paper, but it still looks unlikely at this point, given the last few touches they need to do)

Cool, I always drive up through Millican on 2154/Wellborn when I head up there, so hopefully all the improvements will greet me the next time I come up to College Station.

• 2 months later...

When will the Villa Maria and 2818 overpass begin? 2818 aka Harvey Mitchell is becoming more like a freeway. I heard that was the original plan, it was supposed to be the Westside freeway of BCS, but they went the cheap route and had streets intersecting it. In the future 2818 will be like the center of town with HWY 6 and HWY 47 becoming like the east and west loops.

The light rail in the video is impressive, I wonder if it will really happen? Looks better than Houston's. LOL! If they are building it, I beleive that it would work better if it was not on the streets with cars. I want to see it go all the way to downtown Bryan at least. And how could I forget, the light rail should swing over to the airport and then maybe we can get an expansion their with flights to destination across the country. This region is growing fast enough and it could be the next Hobby.

When will the Villa Maria and 2818 overpass begin? 2818 aka Harvey Mitchell is becoming more like a freeway. I heard that was the original plan, it was supposed to be the Westside freeway of BCS, but they went the cheap route and had streets intersecting it. In the future 2818 will be like the center of town with HWY 6 and HWY 47 becoming like the east and west loops.

The light rail in the video is impressive, I wonder if it will really happen? Looks better than Houston's. LOL! If they are building it, I beleive that it would work better if it was not on the streets with cars. I want to see it go all the way to downtown Bryan at least. And how could I forget, the light rail should swing over to the airport and then maybe we can get an expansion their with flights to destination across the country. This region is growing fast enough and it could be the next Hobby.

Oh, geez, just noticed the light rail. In real life, those lanes with the light rail would be the freight train line, but possibly leaving the existing crossing intact (with the underpass just provided for through access for those westbound, notice there are no "curling exits" like University and Harvey Mitchell.

Alternately, those train cars could be someone's commuter rail dream. Austin has a commuter rail that resembles light rail, except it runs on regular freight lines and is powered like a regular train. Unfortunately, however, College Station just doesn't have the existing railroad infrastructure to build such a thing, because the reason Austin's commuter rail exists was a semi-abandoned track running into downtown, and additional parallel freight lines. Here in College Station, we just don't have that same luxury.

On the issue of the 2818 overpass, it seems to be going along very well. The old detour road is now a single-lane entrance ramp, with the entrance ramp to replace it currently being built. Giant highway light poles are being erected. Jones-Butler is being brought back up to level, with the "other" Jones-Butler closed and without access (the pavement, however, has not been removed). Also not removed is the concrete plates of the original crossing.

Today the whole thing is open, right? You can now turn right while going north on Wellborn to go west on 2818 with the final ramp opening up.

The cool looking train, which appears to be a generic low-floor streetcar 3D model the design firm probably uses in other videos, is just an artist's depiction to illustrate how the existing railroad tracks will go over the road. It probably does not represent anything that is likely to be operating on that line in the near future, unless of course commuter rail does pan out.

Also, I wish Simcity(well the good ones in the series) looked like that. Maybe CitiesXL, but I don't have it.

Archived