Wellborn And Harvey Mitchell Overpass?

IronTiger

Unless you avoid the area, the Harvey Mitchell and Wellborn intersection is now under construction in

This Map Shows the intersection before construction began.

3331132199_e3c6b3dfdb_o.png

This map shows construction as of today.

The gray areas are active roads. These are driven on.

The blue line is the railroad. This isn't going anywhere.

The green lines are where roads are carved out. They are not paved yet nor accessible.

The black line is roads that are now closed.

The red line is a completed -with concrete- ramp.

The X's are piles of dirt.

See, I had heard a frontage road would parallel Harvey Mitchell and loop under the overpass. That would allow access for N. Dowling Rd. (as seen here, near the white warehouse) to access the road. An example of this loop is here.

Except the packed X looks like it won't happen.

The second X up above is likely to be smoothed out for the temporary road, which already has the railroad gates up. Finally, Wellborn looks like it's just gonna go straight (they even prepared the medians!) but it raises questions of how this is gonna work. How are people going to turn left? Is it gonna be like University and Wellborn? What are your thoughts? Please respond...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good topic.

I think this intersection will have a lot more going on than the Wellborn/Villa Maria underpass. I'm pretty sure I have read that the project will include N. Dowling (or maybe even Jones-Butler) and provide access across Harvey Mitchell (F.M. 2818).

The Villa Maria interchange is a great improvement for Villa Maria, but completely left Finfeather ease of access out of the equation.

This project can't do that to Dowling or else it is dooming the west side of the tracks to poor access for years to come.

If anyone could find the plans online I would appreciate it. The City of Bryan's website makes maps of projects easy to find. So far I haven't been able to find the same at the CS website.

The Villa Maria/Wellborn access is/was completely different than this one, in a couple of respects...

1) It was an underpass, this is an overpass.

2) It was three-way.

3) The residents in the nearby area had plenty of ways to "avoid the area". There isn't a lot of choices for the west-railroaders. Jones-Butler and Rock Prairie are crowded enough.

I made a couple of mistakes on the map:

The Southwest corner of the interchange should have the X where the green line is.

The Northwest corner doesn't have an east-west green line, though the green line west of the tracks is correct.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The NW exit is blocked off now. There are detour roads to the north and east.

There is a sign across from N. Dowling Rd. that appears to stay put. Personally, I think they should extend Holleman Rd. to Quail Run Rd., creating an exit path without dooming residents of the south part.

3461027026_1abcc2b449_o.png

The entrance to the Woodlands of College Station from Harvey Mitchell is closed (yay!) and the right side of the road is torn up near The Woodlands. Looks like they've done the initial blacktop between the red line and Wellborn Rd.

The crossing plates are in now, but the NW ramp is not closed yet.

Not much to say.

The North and East routes don't have turn lanes (until Southwest Pkwy. and Welsh, respectively)

A pit is being dug on the old NW exit

Work is being done on the west-of-the-railroad detour route

Survey sticks are being placed south of Harvey Mitchell (near where Jones-Butler and Dowling plug in to Harvey Mitchell)

Expect to see more soon.

There is a metal grid going in where the Woodlands of College Station entrance was

They're digging a huge hole for drainage in front of the western half of the temporary RR crossing

Some more dirt piles are piled on the old NE exit

Said hole has already been filled in.

The initial "sandy" layer is up to the tracks on the east side. I might make another map when something really big happens (construction of another ramp, more paving, closure of the SE or SW ramps)

I won't be traveling that way as much during the summer so I appreciate the updates. I'm wondering how much will be done before school starts back up.

Thanks! Unfortunately, we may see the detour for a while.

The only unfortunate (well, very unfortunate) thing is there's left hand turn lane on the detour, plus N. Dowling doesn't look like its going to go anywhere, and nothing is done on Holleman at all. Big trouble... :huh:

The lights are up on the wires.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for not updating, but everything is taking shape...the tree at the corner of Dowling and FM 2818 is gone, the detour is tarred, the detour entrance near Welsh will briefly feature concrete (look near The Woodlands entrance), the area near the RV park is scraped.

• 2 weeks later...

The detour is road is almost complete. The east transition (near Welsh) will be concrete for a bit, medians for the railroad guards were done today, and there looks to be a yield lane for the concrete Wellborn straightaway to the westbound FM 2818.

It's woefully late on my part, but the detour is open. Right turn in and right turn out of Jones-Butler south. Very dangerous. There needs to be a right hand turn lane from 2818 to Jones-Butler. And a stoplight at Cain and Wellborn.

If that map is true, then people living in the SW quadrant is doomed, unless there is an extension to Holleman. Going out and going in, one of which will be difficult.

The City of College Station is planning to extend Holleman over to Jones Butler.

Well, parts of old FM 2818 and Dowling have been stripped. Some rebar appears to have been stuck in the ground near the railroad tracks. It appears that the old crossing at 2818 will be restored to its original, non-plated state sooner rather than later.

Archived