Electrical Engineer allowed to do Electrical work?

Guest willijimon

Guest willijimon

hi,m

Have been reading in some other posts and the Electrical Safety Act 2002 that Electrical Engineers are able to carry out household electrical works? IS this true or have I misread the info? Also if this is the case, ie that electrical work can be carried out by an engineer, how does one get a cert of compliance.

Thanks

hi,m

Have been reading in some other posts and the Electrical Safety Act 2002 that Electrical Engineers are able to carry out household electrical works? IS this true or have I misread the info? Also if this is the case, ie that electrical work can be carried out by an engineer, how does one get a cert of compliance.

Thanks

If you want the COH to inspect your electrical work, a master electrician must obtain a permit for the work at the COH planning office in midtown.

flipper

If you want the COH to inspect your electrical work, a master electrician must obtain a permit for the work at the COH planning office in midtown.

flipper

Can you please provide a reference? Why a master electrician?

I can't find anything on the COH website that shows the statutory justification for requiring a licensed electrician to perform work that requires a permit. Nor is the site clear on what electrical work requires a permit. Such as, can I replace the 50+ year old wires in my garage by myself? The State law is pretty clear that the statewide requirements for a licensed electrician do not apply to the owner of a residence who lives in the residence. Anyone have a link that might clear this up?

I can't find anything on the COH website that shows the statutory justification for requiring a licensed electrician to perform work that requires a permit. Nor is the site clear on what electrical work requires a permit. Such as, can I replace the 50+ year old wires in my garage by myself? The State law is pretty clear that the statewide requirements for a licensed electrician do not apply to the owner of a residence who lives in the residence. Anyone have a link that might clear this up?

its your home...you can do what you want. I rewired my kitchen and a few rooms. just dont call an inspector

Save yourself some time and just call the number I provided.

flipper

but if you do end up having to hire someone, marksmu has the numbers of all the cheap electricians in town ;)

flipper

Ive searched for ANY cheaps electricians in town. They dont exist. Even if you promise that your wife will carry thier first born child for them. They are all greedy. :)

Good luck. You can do it yourself per code, if you take out the permits AND have a licensed electrician certify your work for you, and then have the inspection. (good luck with that)

But if you just want it done, and your not worried about getting caught - have at it boss. I would if I were you.

Archived