Reliant Energy's Retail Business Bought By NRG

Chron article:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headli...iz/6289157.html

Can I not read, or does this not make sense?

The Reliant brand name is part of the deal, the companies said, meaning billing and marketing including the name of the Houston Texans' football stadium and surrounding facilitites at Reliant Park should continue to look the same.

I'm expecting a "not" after the first "is" for it to make sense, unless I'm just reading it way too hard and missed it completely. Any other ideas as to what this deal might mean?

EDIT: never mind, I see that the retail part that was sold keeps "Reliant", and that the remaining unsold Reliant operations will get a new company name once they finish the deal.

Chron article:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headli...iz/6289157.html

Can I not read, or does this not make sense?

I'm expecting a "not" after the first "is" for it to make sense, unless I'm just reading it way too hard and missed it completely. Any other ideas as to what this deal might mean?

Makes perfect sense. They bought the name, too, so you'll still see Reliant everywhere.

I used to work at Reliant and I have to say that I love this story.

It's not being reported anywhere, but in 2004 Reliant declined to spend $1.2 billion buy the Texas Genco assets from Centerpoint that NRG eventually bought (from an intermediate owner) for around $5.5 billion a year later.

So with today's news, NRG has spent another $300 or so and has in total paid 5 times as much to create the same company that Reliant could have had back in 2004 and everyone in the news is saying that it's a great move for NRG to make.

I am so glad not to be working for those idiots anymore, I just wish someone in the news would point out the rest of the story.

So with today's news, NRG has spent another $300 or so and has in total paid 5 times as much to create the same company that Reliant could have had back in 2004 and everyone in the news is saying that it's a great move for NRG to make.

I am so glad not to be working for those idiots anymore, I just wish someone in the news would point out the rest of the story.

I wish that they would point out that their stupid naming rights deal ($300 million over 32 years) costs more than the entire company ($288 million).

I wish that they would point out that their stupid naming rights deal ($300 million over 32 years) costs more than the entire company ($288 million).

If someone did point that out, they would be incorrect (not that that would stop a journalist). As noted above, the $288 million is for the retail operations of the company. It does not include power plants with 14,000 MW of generating capacity.

(Note that you may still have a good point, just not quite as entertaining.)

• 3 months later...

Well apparently the "new" Reliant, as they like to call themselves, is as bad as the old Reliant. Tried to renegotiate my extremely high contract with them and they wouldn't budge. Guess I will be looking for a new provider and suck up the $295 cancellation fee. At today's rates I will make that up in just 3 months with another company. I wasn't looking for any thing spectacular. I told them I would be glad to sign a new contract if they would just come down some on there ridiculously high rate but they wouldn't budge. Now I remember why I left them in the first place. Their customer service sucks.

• The title was changed to Reliant Energy's Retail Business Bought By NRG

Archived