Radio commentator Paul Harvey dies at 90

Vertigo58

Truly sad to hear this news early this morning on NPR. -_-

Legendary radio commentator Paul Harvey died today at a hospital in Phoenix. He was 90. Known for his distinct staccato delivery, dramatic pauses, and folksy intonations, Harvey's broadcasts were heard on over 1,200 radio stations and 400 Armed Forces networks and his commentary appeared in 300 newspapers, according to his website. He had been hosting his radio shows on a part-time basis for most of the past year, during which he suffered various illnesses as well as the death of his wife Lynne "Angel" Harvey. Paul Harvey's seven-decade broadcasting career includes more than 50 years working for ABC Radio.

"Even after the passing of his loving wife Angel in May 2008, Paul would not slip quietly into retirement as he continued to take the microphone and reach out to his audience," ABC Radio Networks president Jim Robinson said via a statement. "We will miss our dear friend tremendously and are grateful for the many years we were so fortunate to have known him."

I remember that distinctive voice since childhood. I know he was always broadcast here locally from Chicago on KQUE at least until that stations demise if memory serves well. I do recall mom always hearing him even in the mid 60's here in Houston and she said she remembered hearing him since the mid to late 40's? What a career span. I admired his spirit to continue trying to find something fresh to work on even at 90. What a man.

NPR story:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...ft=1&f=1001

I would hear that voice and immediately be transported to the dining room table at my grandparents' house in Brownsville - the main meal was about to be served, and Paul Harvey was on Weslaco's Channel 5 before the noon news. Not even the blessing could be said before we heard "Good Day". Somehow bad news wasn't so frightening when he commented on it. RIP.

For what it's worth... I've been listening to Paul Harvey all my life. His son had been doing the shows of late, so I thought he may have been ill or perhaps easing into retirement. Very sorry to hear of his passing. I will miss his show a great deal. It was a regular part of my morning commute.

Archived