Husband transferred to the office

parw

My husband has been moved to the office after 23 years with his company and we have to move to Houston. We will not be selling our home/land at 'home' and have our only daughter at TAMU - whoop - so we are on somewhat of a budget. His office is on San Felipe so we would like to be near that area. Galleria or mid town if possible? We have been looking for the past month and it seems the property looks great online but when we get to the neighborhood it is less than desirable. My 'dream' spot would be a townhome with a pool in a decent neighborhood that's less than 10 miles from his office for less than $100,000. Is that a total pipe dream or is there a property out there that we just haven't found? Thanks so much for all your help!

Assuming you're talking about San Felipe somewhere near 610, I'd think you'll have some difficulty finding a townhouse (much less with a pool) for under $100k. Most TH's are built as 3BR, 200+ sf, and places priced below $50/sf probably aren't going to be even remotely desirable.

That said, there ARE some older condo complexes in the area, especially between Westheimer and San Felipe west of the loop. These tend to sell for about $100/sf, so maybe a 1BR condo in an older building can be had for that kind of money. Try http://www.har.com/MapSearch/ for listings.

You really aren't going to find a townhome for $100k in the Galleria or Midtown area. And to find one in that price range in a "decent" area, you'll need to move a bit farther out. Try Georgetown or Memorial Drive Townhomes (not Memorial Club) -- both are townhome communities located near Beltway 8 and I-10. Both communities have pools, are in very good neighborhoods and have an easy commute to the Galleria.

And if you haven't discovered it yet, HAR.com is your friend. :)

You might give consideration to renting a place. Those closing costs, HOA dues, maintenance/repairs, and property taxes really weigh heavily against any principal you're paying down. And then there's amortization. As a general rule, you shouldn't buy unless you're reasonably sure that you're going to be there for at least four years.

And on top of all that, there's the opportunity cost of the down payment you'd be making. This year and the next would be a good time to be investing if you have the spare cash.

A quick HAR.com search shows 90 condos/townhomes INSIDE THE LOOP that fit the description. (Only searched the "Central", "South" and "Southwest" areas inside the Loop.) Many around the Med Center, some around Greenway Plaza, some on Allen Pkwy, some around West U. I don't consider those to be undesirable locations.

Just saying it's not necessary to go out west (and fight traffic) to find something that fits the bill.

^There are some decent priced townhomes/condos in the areas you mentioned - they just have to be prepared to pay an additional $300-700/month in fees in most cases. Considering the selling price, though, the mortgage payment wouldn't be all that much..

Hi my name is Kallie. I used to live in the Galleria area. You can find a condo in the Galleria area for under a $100,000. My mom still lives there on Bering Dr. The best streets to look at are on Bering Dr. and Augusta. These are very nice streets. I'm a Realtor, so if you need any help, let me know. That zipcode area is 77057. The Galleria area is very nice. Close to shopping, freeways, and lots of restaurants. I highly recommend it. Good luck to you, and welcome to Houston. People are very nice and polite here.

Kallie Shepherd

Archived