Darby Douglas Fired From KHOU

editor

Morning traffic reporter Darby Douglas has been fired from KHOU television. He'd been doing the morning news there for nearly 13 years.

For those of you who were fans, or even just occasional viewers, how Darby was on TV is exactly how he is in real life -- nice, genuine, and unlikely to hurt a fly. Just a really nice guy.

They haven't deleted his profile page yet for some reason:

Darby Douglas joined the KHOU morning news team in August of 1996 after spending ten years in the radio industry as an on-air talent and traffic anchor for KLOL, KLDE, and KCOH, to name a few. Douglas is a native Houstonian, which comes in handy when doing traffic for a living, and a graduate of Stratford High School. Douglas attended the University of Houston, but now that he is "Married with Children," he plans on making sure that his two daughters finish their education.

Douglas has been reporting traffic for over ten years now and is "happy to be proficient at something!" Although Douglas is an avid golfer and fan of Tiger Woods, his favorite past time is spending time with his wife and kids.

http://www.khou.com/insidekhou/newsteam/ddouglas.html

Was he laid-off or fired? Has he been replaced?

I'm guessing he was laid off. Just a few weeks ago, Belo Corp announced that it would be laying off 14 percent of its national workforce. Here's a link to that announcement on KHOU's website:

http://www.khou.com/business/stories/khou0...s_.2a37683.html

They've either decided to do without traffic, or they've figured out a way to do it cheaper.

I really hate to see this, because Darby is one of the really nice guys in the local media biz.

And if he's part of a 14 percent RIF, it's very probable that he's not the only one at KHOU to get the axe.

The e-mail he sent me read, "fired." These days the terms are used interchangeably, especially by companies as politically correct as TV stations.

Whatever you want to call it, when your employer terminates your employment, no matter what the reason, they've fired you.

Whether it's "We don't need your services anymore", or "We don't want your services anymore", or, "We can't afford your services anymore", you're still out the door. Fired. I hope he got a good severance package.

As one who's been through that a couple of times, I know for a fact that no matter how much severance he got, right now Darby is sick to his stomach wondering where he's going to find a job in this collapsing economy, and worrying about how he's going to support his family. That's how decent guys like him react to being fired.

Fired or laid off -- the result is the same. He's out on the street looking for a job.

I'M TRYING TO FIND OUT IF THE GUY GOT FIRED FOR BEING A POOR EMPLOYEE OR IF HE GOT LAID OFF BECAUSE THE STATION COULD NOT AFFORD TO KEEP HIM.

I KNOW THEY ALL ULTIMATELY MEAN THE SAME THING.

I'M TRYING TO FIND OUT IF THE GUY GOT FIRED FOR BEING A POOR EMPLOYEE OR IF HE GOT LAID OFF BECAUSE THE STATION COULD NOT AFFORD TO KEEP HIM. I KNOW THEY ALL ULTIMATELY MEAN THE SAME THING.

I know what you mean.

It's almost certainly a lay-off. Belo did give notice on January 30th that 14 percent of the company's national workforce would be cut, and that every one of its TV stations and newspapers would be affected.

Darby is just the only one we know about, but I'm sure others behind the cameras and in various departments were also laid off.

It's almost certainly a lay-off. Belo did give notice on January 30th that 14 percent of the company's national workforce would be cut, and that every one of its TV station and newspapers would be affected.

Thank You. Sorry for yelling. :)

Thank You. Sorry for yelling. :)

Not a problem. I share your sorrow and frustration over seeing bad things happen to good people. :angry:

This is what happens when a company's profits go down. They have to cut costs and that means layoffs.

Every single one of us who has a job should be thankful and hang onto it with all our might.

Some clarification -- Darby isn't unemployed. Not exactly. He's still an employee of Metro Traffic, which KHOU contracts with for its traffic service.

KHOU just decided it didn't want Darby anymore. Instead, it's looking for a female traffic reporter to bring in more young male viewers.

Some clarification -- Darby isn't unemployed. Not exactly. He's still an employee of Metro Traffic, which KHOU contracts with for its traffic service.

KHOU just decided it didn't want Darby anymore. Instead, it's looking for a female traffic reporter to bring in more young male viewers.

Thanks for the clarification. Sadly, it makes financial sense for the news station to do that. Look at the attention Jennifer Reyna brings on for KPRC.

Thanks for the clarification. Sadly, it makes financial sense for the news station to do that. Look at the attention Jennifer Reyna brings on for KPRC.

I join Jeebus in thanking you for the clarification. I'm embarrassed to admit that I had completely forgotten that Darby and other TV traffic reporters are contract employees from Metro Networks.

And it's not just for traffic. TV stations also have video photographers under contract from Metro. Almost all the radio stations around town get their newscasters and traffic reporters from Metro.

It's good to know that Darby isn't on the street after all. Metro will find a slot for him somewhere.

There are only two reasos KPRC gets anyone watch in the morning: Lauren Freeman and Jennifer Reyna. KHOU has a good news program but not much flash; let's hope they don't sell out completely and turn into Channel 2.2.

That's what the MUTE button is for.

But I'm watching to get the Traffic Report. "We've got slows on the belt" - WTH?

It's like the weather men stating that we've got "high humidities today". Don't they mean high humidity levels? Stop trying to make up a new language.

But I'm watching to get the Traffic Report. "We've got slows on the belt" - WTH? It's like the weather men stating that we've got "high humidities today". Don't they mean high humidity levels? Stop trying to make up a new language.

Get used to it. It's a waste of time, energy and frustration to even try to get others to speak the way you want them to speak.

Besides, are you saying that you didn't understand the meaning of "We've got slows on the belt" and "high humidities today"?

11 was fun in the mornings when Debra Duncan was still there. She had a way of saying "David Paul" and "Darby Douglas" that made it sound like they were kids in Really Big Trouble meriting use of first and middle names. :P

The competition for cuter traffic chick reminds me of that "Married With Children" episode with Kelly getting a job as the weather girl.

Get used to it. It's a waste of time, energy and frustration to even try to get others to speak the way you want them to speak.

Besides, are you saying that you didn't understand the meaning of "We've got slows on the belt" and "high humidities today"?

Yes, I can understand slang, but I don't think news professionals should be speaking it, Dawg. Call me old fashioned, but I think proper English has been slaughtered enough.

Of course, it's nothing I'm going to lose sleep over. I just roll my eyes and change the channels.

Yes, I can understand slang, but I don't think news professionals should be speaking it, Dawg. Call me old fashioned, but I think proper English has been slaughtered enough.

Of course, it's nothing I'm going to lose sleep over. I just roll my eyes and change the channels.

Merriam-Webster lists humidities as a proper plural for humidity, so what do you mean by proper English? If humidity is a noun, and it is, what is wrong with using the plural form to refer to humidity readings taken at numerous places around the area?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/humidity

You should be hyphenating old-fashioned.

Merriam-Webster lists humidities as a proper plural for humidity, so what do you mean by proper English? If humidity is a noun, and it is, what is wrong with using the plural form to refer to humidity readings taken at numerous places around the area?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/humidity

You should be hyphenating old-fashioned.

Well, gawwwlaay! I guess I should research before going-on-a-rant. :lol:

Anyway, I've taken this off topic. Back to Darby.

Archived