Recycling containers taken back?

SecondTour

Wednesday was recycling day for my neighborhood. I have 3 of the green containers from the city. I keep cans, plastic, glass, & paper separate. I take the glass to the Westpark center every two weeks or so.

Anyway, the truck came by Wednesday morning and collected the recycling, just as it always does. However, they also took back all the green containers for our neighborhood.

I called the city and could not get an answer from anyone, nor can I find any information on the city's web site.

WTF?

Looks like I'll have to buy three similar containers and start hauling the stuff to collection centers myself.

Are you in one of the neighborhoods in danger of losing recycling? There was a letter than went around last summer ago saying that neighborhoods with less than 10% would be removed from the recycling program.

The people on my street aren't very good recyclers, even the young people who should know better. I have often thought of asking 311 to deliver bins to every house to drive the point home, but I doubt the City would do that!

ETA: found it

http://www.houstontx.gov/solidwaste/200807...clingletter.pdf

Thanks for the link. If I had to guess, I'd say we're probably being dropped. Not many houses on my street, or in my neighborhood, put the bins out. We have neighbors we're close to and discuss these types of things with, but it's like you said - they know better, but they're just too lazy to be bothered with it.

Weird, just a couple of weeks ago the Civic Association newsletter said some parts of our neighborhood had been chosen as part of a program where the small green bins will be replaced with one full-sized bin. I was hoping it was us, but when they took the smalls and never came back with anything, I figure it's not us.

We're going backwards.

They may be implementing a new program like we have here in Austin now. My recycling can is now larger than my actual trashcan. The recycling is a 60 gallon now, no seperating necessary, and my trash is only 45 gallon.

Yeah why the hell can't Houston catch up and do it this way? No BS separating, they should take glass, and it's a bigger container. If Baton Rouge is doing it already, Houston is way behind.

They may be implementing a new program like we have here in Austin now. My recycling can is now larger than my actual trashcan. The recycling is a 60 gallon now, no seperating necessary, and my trash is only 45 gallon.

Yeah, that's exact;y what our newsletter was talking about - but not the entire neighborhood.

Well, maybe they haven't gotten around to replacing the ones they took. If they don't, I'll do it myself. I already take the glass every other weekend anyway and have plenty of room in the truck. A few more containers isn't anything to lose sleep over.

The COH is talking about phasing in a system of wheeled containers into which all recycling can be placed - including glass - that are then sorted by a mechanism in the truck. The thing that makes me worried is that the plan was announced before the economy went to the dogs. I hope your bins are being collected in preparation for this, and not because your subdivision is being dropped.

Got home today and there was a new, full-size green recycling container. Before, I was separating into four different small containers. I had three small greens from the city and one of my own for glass that I took myself. Now it all goes into the big one for pick-up twice a month.

Well done Houston. Hope it's a success.

• 1 month later...
Got home today and there was a new, full-size green recycling container. Before, I was separating into four different small containers. I had three small greens from the city and one of my own for glass that I took myself. Now it all goes into the big one for pick-up twice a month.

Well done Houston. Hope it's a success.

I hope it's a success!

all you guinea pigs in this pilot program - recycle like mad. I am looking forward to the day that OUR neighborhood has this service.

http://www.houstontx.gov/solidwaste/autorecyclingmap.html

http://www.houstontx.gov/solidwaste/press-20090311.html

all you guinea pigs in this pilot program - recycle like mad. I am looking forward to the day that OUR neighborhood has this service.

Man, the thing is full to the top every other week - and that's with me breaking down all the boxes and packaging and arranging them so they don't waste space in the big container. I also rinse all plastic food containers and metal cans.

I have to say, there's a strong showing on pick-up days in my neighborhood. Hope it makes a difference.

Archived