Need a good Houston area optician / optometrist

Hello! I have been lurking, and have decided to get involved in this forum, and to start off, I need some help!

I just moved here last year, and needed new glasses. I have severe astigmatism / myopia, but can see great with the properly fitted glasses. I went to a local optometrist in Missouri City and it seems the prescription is OK, bu I can only see clearly when I move the glasses away from my eyes. This is unworkable, and creates a horrible tunnel effect. I have given up on my new glasses, and my optometrist can seem to fix the problem.

I need the name and location of a really good optician. In my old town of Midland, MI, I went to the same old optician for many years. He took my prescription, carefully took measurments with the frames I picked out, and I was always very happy with the results. With my eyesight, it is critical to align the prescription with the frames, and a good optician can do this. I probably need to check the prescription again, too, just in case. Unfortunately, the option of going back to Midland, MI is off the table - the optician passed away recently.

Any suggestions? I cannot wear contacts or get Lasik surgery due to my severe astigmatism, so please do not suggest that. I just need a good optician or optician / optometrist combination.

This reminds me that I need to get an eye exam. I'm the past I've always had perfect vision, but haven't had an exam in 2 years. What's most efficient way? I used to go to my family's eye dcotor but it's way too much of a hassle from where I live now. I've had people tell me Costco. I just want to do a quick walk-in for a basic exam.

This reminds me that I need to get an eye exam. I'm the past I've always had perfect vision, but haven't had an exam in 2 years. What's most efficient way? I used to go to my family's eye dcotor but it's way too much of a hassle from where I live now. I've had people tell me Costco. I just want to do a quick walk-in for a basic exam.

I didn't have much time last time around, so I actually went to the Sears optical on Main and Wheeler - eye exam/dilation, lenses and frames, and it was decent and fast.

Thanks to all who replied! I think I need "expert" help, so I am going to try the Houston Optometry school first. I just went there on Monday for the first time (U of H) with my son for a campus visit - he is a high school senior this year.

I should present a challenging case for them. If this does not work out, then I will try the private practice suggestion.

Archived