Someburger Stand At 745 E. 11th St.

flatline

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm..what would happen if Tillman wanted to build a skyscraper for his company? What would that look like?

Hmm..what would happen if Tillman wanted to build a skyscraper for his company?  What would that look like?

Go to www.kirksey.com Click on "Portfolio" Then on "Commercial"

Then click on the number 3. You can get an idea of what kind of skyscraper he might build by looking at the company headquarters he already built. (It's only 8 stories, so probably not really a skyscraper. Nevertheless, it might give some indication of the style, level of design, etc.)

Anybody know what the deal is with the bell tower behind the Someburger? 

I think the neighborhood would have a big issue with a Joe's Crab Shack, even though it would probably do decently.

The bell tower is one of two things -- I can't exactly remember which

A few years ago a cellular company was trying to put up a cell tower on that site. There was a universal outcry by the neighborhood. Either they built that bell tower to disguise the cell equipment, or they built the tower to foil the height requirements for the site to defeat the cell tower. I'm not sure which.

Funny, in the northwest there are cell towers disguised as trees alongside some highways. Unless you're really looking for them, they blend right into the forest. Seems like a pretty good idea, yes?

I'm all for Tillman to place a restaurant right there. I just want him to take the community into consideration and build something appropriate. I don't think it'll be too hard though for him to comply to some neighborhood requests. Just as long as the Heights do go into it saying they don't want anything.

I say, hope that he uses the same sensitivity he uused in developing Inn at the Ballpark and Vic and Anthony's -- both are great and fit right in with the neighborhood. In fact, they are leading a very slow -- too slow -- revival of that area around the Ballpark.

But...this is Tillman, so expect a Rainforest or something like that. I think Grotto would be a great call for the area. It's the most moderate of the Signature line. If I were to bet my own money on his intentions, I'd bet on a Cadillac Bar opening up. I think it would fit the area and would probably print money at that location. Perhaps it would be a new concept -- with food only, so as not to cannibalize from the Shepherd location. Or, maybe the Shepherd location is closing to make room for a more theme-parky restaurant and this will take its place.

Just my opinions. I don't have any info to back them up.

Why couldn't he have bought any of the blighted, dilapidated lots along that stretch of 11th? Why did he have to pick the one place where there's something good?

Also, that's a pretty shallow lot. They have enough trouble providing parking for all the people who use the hamburger stand. How are they going to put in a restaurant?

Guest danax

If the guy wants to really create something that gets noticed, which seems like one aspect of his creations, and at the same time, sends a message to the city and the Heights residents that he is sensitive and not just an egomaniaical showman, he could do his Vegas-type theme restaurant by creating, say, a turn of the century mansion where it decorated in fine antiques and all of the staff wears old clothes from that era. The Heights would love him for that. The food, hmmmm. Not sure on which food would fall in line with the Victorian theme and be profitable.

The Heights is about the only area in town where there is a semi-voluntary (since the City couldn't care less) cooperation in terms of architectural style of new construction. If he goes in there with one of his in-your-face type deals, to many, including myself, he'll remove any lingering doubt as to his being as superficial and obnoxious as his ferris wheel and blue-eyed tigers (can anyone ever get close enough to the tigers to actually see their blue eyes? So what's the point?).

knowing the heights and their community involvement, i think that they'll work to get the project like they want. The heights associations have many friends on the planning commission

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There is something strange about this whole thread. The lot on 11 1/2 is only 12,500 sq. feet. If Someburger is not part of the deal and the building next door is for sale, then the 12,500 sf lot is all that was bought. That is not large enough for a Tilman style restaurant, especially when you include parking requirements.

Perhaps the Someburger is a separate property that he has purchased in another transaction. The burger joint could continue to operate until the property behind is completed, Then Someburger could become a parking lot. This is strictly speculation, mind you.

Could Tillman just be building a neighborhood restraunt? Do you have to provide enough parking. BerryHill didn't. A lot of people walk there anyway.

Not everything Tillman builds has to be a large facility.

City has parking requirements depending on the size and use of the building. Berryhill not only has parking on the side of the building on 11th, but also bought a lot behind the bldg. for additional parking, added some street parking on both sides of Beverly and bought the house across Beverly on 11th to use the back yard for parking.

If the building is situated right and not too large, the lot behind Someburger could hold a restaurant and provide adequate parking. I just don't think Tilman would limit himself to that size, IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

I have read all these reply's about Tilman Fertitta..My question goes out to all those being so critical of him.......Whatever he decides to do with any business venture it is almost assured he trys to keep in mind and heart the feelings and concerns of the business district and the community of where ever he is going to develop..Why all the criticism about this, it will bring in jobs and revenues..and he is a family man and he probaby understands the community concerns of fitting in an area and how it would reflect the area respectfulness..It is true that at a time he had a dream he wanted to come true, so with hard work and imagination and compassion he made his dream come true..There are many envious of his success from creations of pure business skills, and they should not be, they have a brain they can achieve the same success..This man does what he does and we should all give him the repect of trying to be what we all at a time in our lives all want to be..a success to our friends and families and the world and to be proud of ourselves for accomplishing our dreams. :)

Archived