Which has been the best decade for music?

Spiritinthesky

50's / Elvis, Chuck Berry and Rock & Roll

60's / The Beatles and The British Invasion, Motown, Psychedelia and the beginnings of Heavy Metal

70's / Arena Rock, FM Radio, Punk, Drugs and Rock & Roll. And disco

80's / New Wave, House, Hair Metal and MTV

90's / Grunge, Alternative, RockCountryPop and Boy Groups

00's / Pop Idol, The X Factor, American Idol, everybody reforms and every possible Genre and subgenre imaginable

If you fancy having a vote go to

http://www.thisdayinmusic.com

1900's / Widespread musical instruction and participation among the population. Sheet music and piano roll sales skyrocket. Dozens of American and European manufacturers build pianos and organs for the private-home market.

10's / Ragtime and early jazz. Improvisation and "Negro" influences begin to become important. Distinction between "classical" and "popular" music begins to be defined as a social phenomenon.

20's / Recording and radio begin to become practical and widespread. Jazz is a mature and fully developed art form.

30's / First major "household name" star performers. Big band jazz and swing are extremely sophisticated. Radio is ubiquitous.

40's / Apotheosis of instrumental jazz and the rise of solo singers and crooners such as Sinatra.

By the end of the decade a split between "jazz" and "popular" music occurs much like that between classical and popular a generation earlier.

Whether one likes country music or not, the CM Hall of Fame in Nashville is worth visiting to understand the history of music in America. It is very interesting to learn about the roots stemming from Ireland and Scotland.

I personally like the '70's. My kids are easy converts too. I'm always telling them that "my music" is so much better. I've introduced them to Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Queen, Steely Dan along with some R&B, Funk, and even a little disco! It was definitely an era variety in good music.

I love the 70s, musically. It had it all. When I was young and all punk rock in the 80s, I thought it used to be really shameful that aging rock stars where still strutting around. Now, with a much broader range of music in my life, I think it's pretty cool that Robert Plant is winning awards with nuevo-bluegrass albums. After having bought a jillion CDs since and gone to tons of concerts of all types, I recently got the latest Who DVD (Kilburn in 77) it reconfirmed for me that yes, they were/are the best rock and roll band of all time. (followed closely by the Clash). :)

Shout out to Lunatic Fringe for his cool Pete Townsend avatar.

50's / Elvis, Chuck Berry and Rock & Roll

60's / The Beatles and The British Invasion, Motown, Psychedelia and the beginnings of Heavy Metal

70's / Arena Rock, FM Radio, Punk, Drugs and Rock & Roll. And disco

80's / New Wave, House, Hair Metal and MTV

90's / Grunge, Alternative, RockCountryPop and Boy Groups

00's / Pop Idol, The X Factor, American Idol, everybody reforms and every possible Genre and subgenre imaginable

If you fancy having a vote go to

http://www.thisdayinmusic.com

Hard to pick between 60's and 70's. I was basically raised on the mid-to-late Beatles albums, but have variously gotten deeply into Cream, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, and Rush. I also had sort of a local phase, where I'd consume only music from Texas in the 1960's; 13th Floor Elevators, Janis Joplin, Doug Sahm, that sort of thing.

The 13th Floor Elevators are especially intriguing (in large part because they may as well be part of the family history), but I have to be in the right mood. Lots of sleep deprivation followed by driving around for hours at dangerously high speeds through the hill country is a kind of immersive, energetic, sometimes haunting experience.

(removing pretentious music historian hat)

Yes. The 1970s. Also the last decade where true instrumental virtuosity was celebrated and widespread. Listen to some of the bass playing and horn playing even on the trashiest disco stuff of the late 70s. By the 80s there was a lot more programming and processing, certainly an art form in itself, but not the same thing.

My fourteen-year-old LOVES the music of the 70s. When I was fourteen, I didn't see any too many of my peers LOVING the music of the 50s, I'll tell you that.

So are you saying you have a large dose of crazy in the genes? Are you related to Roky Erikson?

:D We will love you all the same, it's ok.

Yes, but not for that reason. :D Roky was my dad's best friend growing up. My grandmother didn't like him, though. It probably had something to do with the time that when he was over visiting my dad once, she tried to feed them with hotdogs. Roky promptly removed the hotdog from the bun, held it to his crotch, and stroked it, just to see what kind of reaction he could get. I'm sure he gave her plenty of other reasons not to like him, but that's the story that stands out in my mind. It gets told sometimes at Christmas or Thanksgiving.

When I was really young, probably about four years old, my dad had a manic episode. He's bipolar (so don't you mind me, but watch out for my progeny). He became driven to track down Roky and was successful. This is when Roky was somewhat of a recluse. I remember little, just a feeling more or less as comparable to accompanying someone on some kind of a spiritual quest that would take him to a guru who lived on the high peak of a mountain. I was apparently deemed an anointed one by this strange, very haggard man who spoke in tounges. My dad began to speak in tounges as well. I couldn't really understand what was going on, and so I unfortunately don't remember much. One of these days I'm going to have to prompt my dad to seek out the guru once more. That'd be really fun.

EDIT: I forgot to mention The Doors. I especially like the 'American Prayer' album, even though it isn't the kind of thing you listen to over and over ad absurdum. Some ZZ Top, Lynrd Skynrd, and Steely Dan songs get me going--not others. And there's this one band based in western Massachusetts that used to tour Texas pretty heavily called the Stone Coyotes. I only heard one of their songs, "Four Times Gone" and was hooked. Very energetic.

Yes, but not for that reason. :D Roky was my dad's best friend growing up. My grandmother didn't like him, though. It probably had something to do with the time that when he was over visiting my dad once, she tried to feed them with hotdogs. Roky promptly removed the hotdog from the bun, held it to his crotch, and stroked it, just to see what kind of reaction he could get. I'm sure he gave her plenty of other reasons not to like him, but that's the story that stands out in my mind. It gets told sometimes at Christmas or Thanksgiving.

When I was really young, probably about four years old, my dad had a manic episode. He's bipolar (so don't you mind me, but watch out for my progeny). He became driven to track down Roky and was successful. This is when Roky was somewhat of a recluse. I remember little, just a feeling more or less as comparable to accompanying someone on some kind of a spiritual quest that would take him to a guru who lived on the high peak of a mountain. I was apparently deemed an anointed one by this strange, very haggard man who spoke in tounges. My dad began to speak in tounges as well. I couldn't really understand what was going on, and so I unfortunately don't remember much. One of these days I'm going to have to prompt my dad to seek out the guru once more. That'd be really fun.

Wow!! I won't tell any writer friends of mine, I promise.

You have psychedelia bonafides, Niche. How does that make you feel? :)

I never would have linked TheNiche to Roky Erickson.

And The Clash, Crunch? Really?

I have to go with the 1970s. It's the decade that gave us Willie Nelson's "Red Headed Stranger", Eno's "Here Come the Warm Jets", the best Ramones albums, the best Parliament albums, Steely Dan's "Aja", etc. I'd probably take 1972-1982 as the best 10 years of modern music, just for the depth and variety. That contains "Ziggy Stardust", but not "Let's Dance".

I never would have linked TheNiche to Roky Erickson.

And The Clash, Crunch? Really?

I have to go with the 1970s. It's the decade that gave us Willie Nelson's "Red Headed Stranger", Eno's "Here Come the Warm Jets", the best Ramones albums, the best Parliament albums, Steely Dan's "Aja", etc. I'd probably take 1972-1982 as the best 10 years of modern music, just for the depth and variety. That contains "Ziggy Stardust", but not "Let's Dance".

Yay, Meme's here.

The Clash, shuh! London Calling was one of the best records ever. Actually I am a huge funk fan and just got the DVD of P-Funk's show at the Summit, Halloween 1976. OMG!!

You are like my BF and lean to the weedly-weedly-wee (Eno, etc.) But that's OK. ;)

Wow!! I won't tell any writer friends of mine, I promise.

You have psychedelia bonafides, Niche. How does that make you feel? :)

How I feel about it is supremely complicated; if I were ever to write a book, I'll talk about it there at length. There are lots of other stories that really date my father well. His time hanging out with Janis Joplin, back stage with Willie Nelson, that he was supposed to have performed in JFK's procession down Congress Ave. scheduled for just one day after he was killed in Dallas, etc.

And meme reminded me: I like Willie, especially Red Headed Stranger. Very strangely, I met my best friend in middle school when I lived in McAllen, and our fathers each went to some of the same parties at Willie's. Nobody realized it until years later. His father was in a band that opened for Lynrd Skynrd up until their popularity got to a point at which Lynrd Skynrd got pissed off and booted them off the tour.

Perhaps it is more accurate to say that I am steeped in the subtle traditions of southern music or of Texas music than anything else. Psychedelia is only a part of that legacy.

This question is way too hard. Maybe I'm just such an undecided person... but I'll say this decade. You'd be surprised what your well informed friend might make you listen to one night after buying some California-Grade stuff.

No seriously, after Chopin, the best music is easliy found off the charts these days. Except Lily Allen.

I definitely have to go with the 60's because it was all new and different. The Beatles, The Stones, Pink Floyd, The Who, Led Zeppelin. They went places no one had ventured before and changed the course of music forever. There was just so much to choose from and every new LP was eagerly anticipated. Groups back than were not just in it for the money. Not when you could go to a concert featuring several superstars for $5. Since then, with a couple of exceptions, everything pretty much sounds like it was copied from that era.

70's / Arena Rock, FM Radio, Punk, Drugs and Rock & Roll. And disco]

That and that...

10's / Ragtime and early jazz. Improvisation and "Negro" influences begin to become important. Distinction between "classical" and "popular" music begins to be defined as a social phenomenon.

...and that. I love ragtime.

• 2 weeks later...

Late 60 to mid 70s for sure!

It was the best music without a doubt, but it was the best years of my life, and I relate the music of the time to my enjoyment of that era. I can hear a particular song, and I can relate to a specific incident, or a particular person.

I really get a kick out of seeing some young teen wearing a T-shirt with Led Zeppelin on it. I guess that music crosses many generational lines.

• 2 weeks later...

Grunge was mainstream WAY before the spring of 1994. I think its funny that no one has mentioned rap music or electronic (synth) music.

They both have changed the fabric of music's effect on our society.

Archived