Houston Tea Party

Zippy

Houston Tea Party:

Disco Green

Date: Friday, February 27, 2009

Time: 11:00am - 2:00pm

Location: Fondren Green at Discovery Green Park!!! Right in front of Amphitheatre!!

City/Town: Houston, TX

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=52553704859

Don't see any other published location for it other than Facebook.. It's part of the Chicago Tea Party: http://www.officialchicagoteaparty.com/

This is a protest against "out of control government"? What aspect of government is out of control?

The fact that a (and not just any bill, but a massive spending bill) bill was passed by congress before any individual member of congress had the opportunity to read it in full, much less receive feedback from stakeholders. That's worth getting pissed off about.

The fact that much of the 'stimulus' only exacerbates the problems faced by our economy by continuing to encourage over-consumption in lieu of savings or investment. That's worth getting pissed off about.

The fact that so many of our elected officials use executives and executive compensation as a red herring for structural economic risk and believe that part of the solution to get big firms back on their feet is to underpay management during a crisis. That's worth getting pissed off about.

The fact that slips of tongue from individual congressmen can cause markets to cause an intraday crash and recovery. That's worth getting pissed off about.

The fact that market analysts are so clueless about what government is going to do in the next month or so that they are reduced to analyzing individual word choices within what they already know is 99% vapid rhetoric as a way to try and derive some sense not only of how individual firms or industries might be supported but as to how financial systems could be re-ordered. The one thing worse than pessimism is uncertainty, and government is only exacerbating the problem. That's worth getting pissed off about.

And this is all completely besides the point that many of the new "stimulus" programs will probably become somewhat permanent fixtures that prove very difficult to dismantle once the crisis has passed. I'm pissed off about that too, but nobody else seems to care much about the future, so I don't begrudge the government that most people are pissed off about that.

Even if they don't have a handle on the economy, government is doing a piss poor job at calming people down and preventing increasing panic and frustration. In fact, it is quite apparent that many in government are themselves very frustrated and not in control. When Obama, specifically, first welcomes constructive bipartisan effort and is then surprised that Republicans don't behave like Democrats, causing him to have to retract his position of openness, he demonstrates that he isn't in control. When he gives a speech and smears talk radio and cable news, he demonstrates that he isn't in control. He demonstrates that there are outside influences that get in the way of doing any particular thing, and that undermines confidence in any kind of knowable future.

You ask what aspect of government is out of control...well in the context of the economic and financial systems, I ask you what aspect of government is in control? And perhaps just as importantly, what has the government done to demonstrate that it is in control?

You ask what aspect of government is out of control...well in the context of the economic and financial systems, I ask you what aspect of government is in control? And perhaps just as importantly, what has the government done to demonstrate that it is in control?

From where I sit, the whole thing seems to still be under our control. We elected them.

From where I sit, the whole thing seems to still be under our control. We elected them.

Indeed. Whining about what democratically-elected officals are doing is not quite the same thing as protesting taxation without representation. Invoking the Boston Tea Party (much less trying to position a Facebook group as some true-blue band of patriots) in order to advance the standard conservative tax-cut agenda is weak. I'm not in favor of the bailouts, but to co-opt 'tea party' for marketing purposes is just making a mockery of history.

hmm.. would you say the same thing 4 years ago?

Absolutely. Why wouldn't I?

Indeed. Whining about what democratically-elected officals are doing is not quite the same thing as protesting taxation without representation. Invoking the Boston Tea Party (much less trying to position a Facebook group as some true-blue band of patriots) in order to advance the standard conservative tax-cut agenda is weak. I'm not in favor of the bailouts, but to co-opt 'tea party' for marketing purposes is just making a mockery of history.

And the web site just isn't clear. It says we're supposed to show up and protest our government being "out of control", but that's so vague I can easily see gay rights activists, NORML, American Atheists, and all kinds of groups showing up.

And the web site just isn't clear. It says we're supposed to show up and protest our government being "out of control", but that's so vague I can easily see gay rights activists, NORML, American Atheists, and all kinds of groups showing up.

I agree with Crunch that calling it a Tea Party is a little misleading. And I agree with you that "out of control" could be interpreted normatively rather than literally.

But in the strictly literal sense, government does seem to have lost control of itself, at least on economic matters. And hysterical pissed off people like to be hysterically pissed off together. In fact...that's it! I'm going.

Personally, I don't see government trying to gain control of an unruly financial system as being "out of control", any more than I would see a battalion of police attempting to stop a riot as being out of control. It may LOOK out of control, but only because of the unruly mob (like the banks), not because of the police attempting to restore order.

There are some who appear unwilling to admit that the unregulated market can be...and has been...corrupted by unethical 'free marketers', also known as thieves. Rather than admit that the thieves have brought down the markets, they blame the cops (the government) for the problem. However, having a bunch of them gather in one place to rant their misdirected anger does sound entertaining.

Absolutely. Why wouldn't I?

Nothin' like a buncha Queers & devil worshipers to ruin a Tea Party.

When I first saw the topic title I thought "oh, how lovely & proper". Now I'll probably just show up to take pictures.

Personally, I don't see government trying to gain control of an unruly financial system as being "out of control", any more than I would see a battalion of police attempting to stop a riot as being out of control. It may LOOK out of control, but only because of the unruly mob (like the banks), not because of the police attempting to restore order.

There are some who appear unwilling to admit that the unregulated market can be...and has been...corrupted by unethical 'free marketers', also known as thieves. Rather than admit that the thieves have brought down the markets, they blame the cops (the government) for the problem. However, having a bunch of them gather in one place to rant their misdirected anger does sound entertaining.

To the extent that the cops haven't been doing a good job at enforcing the law or catching those who don't abide by it, I actually do blame the cops. And I blame the cops all that much more when they even get to make the rules the way that the SEC does. Maybe they got infiltrated by anarchists, or perhaps they were just incompetent. But in any conceivable way, those cops would be "out of control" in the literal sense. And I'm pissed off about it. Why aren't you?

To the extent that the cops haven't been doing a good job at enforcing the law or catching those who don't abide by it, I actually do blame the cops. And I blame the cops all that much more when they even get to make the rules the way that the SEC does. Maybe they got infiltrated by anarchists, or perhaps they were just incompetent. But in any conceivable way, those cops would be "out of control" in the literal sense. And I'm pissed off about it. Why aren't you?

Because the ones responsible have largely been voted out of office. The new police chief has been in charge for 36 days. I am still waiting to see how they handle things. If they appear to be no better than the last regime, I'll act.

These clowns at this 'party', on the other hand, are upset that the corrupt or incompetent (or both) FORMER regime is gone! They want the ones who fell asleep at the switch BACK! So, no, I won't be at the 'party'.

Take pictures. I love riots. :)

Because the ones responsible have largely been voted out of office. The new police chief has been in charge for 36 days. I am still waiting to see how they handle things. If they appear to be no better than the last regime, I'll act.

These clowns at this 'party', on the other hand, are upset that the corrupt or incompetent (or both) FORMER regime is gone! They want the ones who fell asleep at the switch BACK! So, no, I won't be at the 'party'.

Take pictures. I love riots. :)

I'm not clear that the Tea Party is of one mind, nor that they all are just partisan protesters with a united goal. It seems to me that they're just hysterically pissed off. And in this uncertain environment, that's good enough for me.

I really really hope that was sarcasm

Nah.

Personally, I think the DMV is running amok.

Maybe we should start with them. I mean, if we can keep them back on track, the rest will be fairly easy.

Well, perhaps the FEMA would be a slightly bigger challenge, but not by much.

But I figure after thr DMV, we could all go out for a HAIF waffle house trip.

Our govenrment it totally out of contral at the moment, fiscally speaking. Why should my money be used to help those in foreclosure? We are teaching our society "don't worry, the government will take care of you" mentality. While the goverment does have certain responsibilities, this is not one of them.

In 5 years from now, when the economy has recovered, are we going to still bail out foreclosed homeowners?

Just today it was announced that GM lost 9.6 billion in the latest quarter. Should your money be used again to bail them out?

We'll miss you..

btw Red, you seem like a pretty intelligent guy, but thinking that if you have a D behind your name makes you as clean as the wind driven snow is folly. Just a small example is to take a look at the tax evaders who currently serve and who were nominated to the current non-corrupt administration..

Also: A billion dollars to save a rat in Pelosi's district is not going to stimulate any economy. A train from LA to Vegas (Reid) is not going to stimulate the economy. Tattoo removal I guess would stimulate something..

If Dear Leader takes 100% in taxes of the money from people who make over $200K, the proposed spending for this year still cannot be covered.

For one who most likely protested the "wasteful" spending of 8 billion a month in an illegal war, 1.2 Trillion of spending in 12 days should make you a little bit upset..? Maybe?

Congress has already spent more in 12 days then ALL of the wars the US has waged since its existence.. But if you don't care and 'want to see how things turn out'.. leave some in the pipe for me..

I might also suggest turning off NPR and CBS news, and try out some non-state run media.

Edit: Portion of "stimulus" which will help create government jobs:

• $2 billion earmark for FutureGen near zero emissions powerplant in Mattoon, IL

• $39 billion slush fund for "state fiscal stabilization" bailout

• $5.5 billion for making federal buildings "green" (including $448 million for DHS HQ)

• $200 million for workplace safety in USDA facilities

• $275 million for flood prevention

• $65 million for watershed rehabilitation

• $200 million for public computer centers at community colleges and libraries

• $650 million for the DTV transition coupon program

• $307 million for constructing NIST office buildings

• $1 billion for administrative costs and construction of NOAA office buildings

• $100 million for constructing U.S. Marshalls office buildings

• $300 million for constructing FBI office buildings

• $800 million for constructing Federal Prison System buildings and facilities

• $10 million to fight Mexican gunrunners

• $1.3 billion for NASA (including $450 million for "science" at NASA)

• $100 million to clean up sites used in early U.S. atomic energy program

• $10 million for urban canals

• $2 billion for manufacturing advanced batteries for hybrid cars

• $1.5 billion for carbon capture projects under sec. 703 of P.L. 110-140 (though section only authorizes $1 billion for five years)

• $300 million for hybrid and electric cars for federal employees

• $198 million to design and furnish the DHS headquarters

• $255 million for "priority procurements" at Coast Guard (polar ice breaker)

• $500 million for State and local fire stations

• $180 million for construction of Bureau of Land Management facilities

• $500 million for wildland fire management

• $110 million for construction for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

• $522 million for construction for the Bureau of Indian Affairs

• $650 million for abandoned mine sites

• $75 million for the Smithsonian Institution

• $1.2 billion for summer jobs for youth

• $412 million for CDC headquarters

• $500 million earmark for NIH facilities in Bethesda, MD

• $160 million for "volunteers" at the Corp. for National and Community Service

• $750 earmark for the National Computer Center in MD

• $224 million for International Boundary and Water Commission – U.S. and Mexico

• $850 million for Amtrak

• $100 million for lead paint hazard reduction

We'll miss you..

btw Red, you seem like a pretty intelligent guy, but thinking that if you have a D behind your name makes you as clean as the wind driven snow is folly. Just a small example is to take a look at the tax evaders who currently serve and who were nominated to the current non-corrupt administration..

Also: A billion dollars to save a rat in Pelosi's district is not going to stimulate any economy. A train from LA to Vegas (Reid) is not going to stimulate the economy. Tattoo removal I guess would stimulate something..

If Dear Leader takes 100% in taxes of the money from people who make over $200K, the proposed spending for this year still cannot be covered.

For one who most likely protested the "wasteful" spending of 8 billion a month in an illegal war, 1.2 Trillion of spending in 12 days should make you a little bit upset..? Maybe?

Congress has already spent more in 12 days then ALL of the wars the US has waged since its existence.. But if you don't care and 'want to see how things turn out'.. leave some in the pipe for me..

I might also suggest turning off NPR and CBS news, and try out some non-state run media.

Zippy,

That you can make so many wrong assumptions from my two sentence post makes me doubt your ability to grasp the current economic crisis and the best way to confront it. Further, having listened and watched some of the "non-state run media" that you suggest, I have doubts that many of the participants in this party do either. There are no "D"s after my name, and if you have read some of my other posts, you would know that I think Democrats are just like Republicans.

I do not like excess government spending, but I recognize its value during a recession. I also note the hypocrisy of the sudden outrage at deficit spending while you didn't say a word for 8 years. Spare me the lecture and your riot. I know a hypocrite when I see one.

I have a suggestion for a chant at your party. It was inspired by none other than Dick Cheney, your neo-conservative hero. "DEFICITS DON'T MATTER! DEFICITS DON'T MATTER! DEFICITS DON'T MATTER!" You ought to start it up and see if anyone sees the irony.

PS - I hope my sarcastic tone incites you to attend the party. I really like riots and want pics. :D

Archived