Dallas & Houtson Rank Top 10 Relocations

slfunk

Dallas ranks fifth on relocation list

11:07 PM CDT on Monday, April 11, 2005

By STEVE BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

-------------------

This message has been edited to remove copyrighted material.

Please do not post copyrighted photos or articles from newspapers or magazines. We have already received a warning from the Houston Chronicle, and the legal departments of other publications have visited the site. If you would like to discuss a published article, please summarize the article and provide a link to the original source.

-------------------

TOP U.S. RELOCATION MARKETS

Based on homebuyer referrals through Reliance Relocation Services' nationwide network in 2004.

1. Washington, D.C.

2. Jupiter, Fla.

3. Atlanta

4. Chicago

5. Dallas

6. Raleigh, N.C.

7. Charlotte, N.C.

8. Houston

9. Tampa, Fla.

10. New York

SOURCE: Reliance Relocation Services

Dallas and Houston should both do better than Atlanta!

Well..I think ATL might have a larger office glut than both cities, and probably lower rents due to that.

How did we beat NY!!? WOW!

Does seem shocking at first. After my living in NY and meeting several professionals in different industries, I came to find many (would not give a percentage or even say most) go to NY for a short time for the work experience and overall experience before relocating to somewhere else. The quality of life in NY is vastly different then other places, one thing makes NY, NY. I heard this over and over that New York is either in you or not. Either you absouletly love it there or you will end up in another city. If you look at some of the job growth projections (I forget the book that gives these statistics) you will find the mid size and other large metro's suprass many of the NE cities in professional growth. I'm recalling from memory so bare with me, but I believe for 2003-2004 NY and Dallas had a difference of 5,000 in the number of new "white collar" jobs with Dallas in the lead. That says a lot for DFW seeing that NY metro is easily 2-3 times the size of DFW. I believe Houston was neck and neck for those numbers as well. New York will always continue to grow in numbers as will Dallas and Houston, but the rates have slowed for the NE cities while many of the Sunbelt cities and Southern cities are able to provide less expensive labor and better quality of life (which is objective). We are obvisouly doing something right here in Texas. I've got one friend who is coming to visit Dallas for the first time next weekend. He's got a house in West New York, NJ overlooking the Manhattan skyline. He's alluded at times of keeping his house as a rental and moving to some place with more room and warmer. But I think he is one who has gotton tired of all the crowdedness of NY and wants some place a little quiter. He has mentioned Florida, but isn't that the typical place for people of NY to relocate? Should be interesting to hear his thoughts when he comes here. He had tenants that where from Dallas and moved back here, and a lot of his friends and co-workers who speak very positively of Dallas and Houston saying Texas is beautiful and he'll love it.

NY actually had a rather large number of "blue collar" jobs. Most of those jobs draw on people already living in the area, while "white collar" usually attracts applicants from other regions and brings more economic development.

My friend in Conn wants to transfer her job from there to here because she feels a special affinity to Texas (not just Houston alone)

My friend from Toronto loves it down here so much!! She doesn't want to come stay down here but visit as much as she can! :)

I can see why Sandra Bullock calls Austin home and works in L.A. she says its quieter here then going to Los Angeles to live.

Archived