Advice on finding an architect with modern sensibility?

KimW

Well, sorry if this has been asked many times over. I'm moving back to Houston from Boston. We're looking for an architect who specializes in modern design to help us create our home. Any advice? Or suggestions?

Some useful information:

- West U, Bellaire, Meyerland

- We seek a 9000+ sf lot

- 5 Bedrooms in 4000sf or less

- Seeking firm to manage the construction process, too

- We've been through this process before, see Boston Globe, One Sweet Condo, http://www.boston.com/realestate/gallery/kitchen_redo1104/; not bad for 975sf

Thanks,

Kim

Well, sorry if this has been asked many times over. I'm moving back to Houston from Boston. We're looking for an architect who specializes in modern design to help us create our home. Any advice? Or suggestions?

Some useful information:

- We seek a 9000+ sf lot

- We've been through this process before, see Boston Globe, One Sweet Condo, http://www.boston.com/realestate/gallery/kitchen_redo1104/; not bad for 975sf

Thanks,

Kim

Wish I could do it myself, but residential design is not my specialty. A few names to throw out there:

Gordon Wittenberg, AIA (Wittenberg Oberholzer Architects)

Glassman Shoemake Maldonado

Natalye Appel

There are lots of others, but these three come immediately to mind.

Good luck!

I would check out Su Nguyen, architect/owner of Metropolitan Design Group, inc. and StudioMet.net.

Websites are www.mdgi.net and www.studiomet.net. Send me an email or message if you have questions.

Some useful information:

- We seek a 9000+ sf lot

Thanks,

Kim

Kim,

Your going to get a million opinions on this subject. So here's mine.

One firm stands out that I know that BenH notes at the top of his list.

M+A Architecture Studio.

A great "Mom and Pop" design/build firm, who's work has always impressed me.

They are very popular on the AIA home tour.

Good luck and keep us posted on your search, selection and construction.

Ben - great rundown and list!

My first reaction is to say I wouldn't want to see new construction in these areas if possible. There are plenty of amazing houses already standing in Meyerland.

But if you find a lot already scraped then I guess you can't go backwards anyway.

M+A will build my house if I ever have the desire to leave my current home (not likely). I also really liked the Strasser/Ragni on the last AIA tour. That house was beautiful. MC2 (is that right?) are also fantastic at modern.

Are you going to be in town at the end of March? If you go on the RDA tour this year you will probably find several architects you like.

Could we have a "sticky" with Ben's info at the top of the forum? We do see this type of question quite a bit.

Jason

Some useful information:

- We seek a 9000+ sf lot

Thanks,

Kim

I agree with Strasser/Ragni and MC2. They both have the ability to design breathtaking spaces (i.e. MC2's Johnson House on Haskell), although the same can be said for all of these firms if the budget is right.

I'm a little biased toward M+A and Collaborative Designworks, though. I've worked for both of them and found them to be great people, both personally and creatively, and I want to see them do well. If you can wait a bit, M+A's home & studio is going to be on the RDA Tour this year and it's definitely worth checking out.

Archived