Lafayette Electronics In Clear Lake

Paul1956

• 1 month later...
Anyone remember Lafayette? Can't recall for sure if it was on BAB or Nasa1, but they had the most amazing collection of all kinds of electronic parts and gadgets. I even bought an electric guitar there once. I miss that store.

I was the manager of both the stores that had the Lafayette store franchise on NASA Road 1 and El Camino Real. My Mom and Dad owned it. We outgrew the smaller store next to Baskin & Robbins and moved across the street next to Kroger and Sakowitz. We serviced the marinas, police stations, NASA, and half of Houston with electronics. I must've installed about a cajillion CB radios, fish finders and radar, and lots of car stereo. I really miss that place.

Wow - small world... I had alot of fun in that store. Bought tons of small electronics in there over the years. Even bought a red Ventura electric guitar in there too and had it for years. (a beautiful Japanese copy of a Gibson ES-335.)

I really miss having ANYONE that can compete with RatShack...grumble grumble fuss fuss.

I'm reminded that over on Richie in Pasadena there was an electronics parts store called 'Olson Electronics' in the early/mid 70s. Olson had a large parts inventory, and even some higher end stereo equipment in there.

I could find just about anything I needed for any project at either Lafayette or Olson.

And for those of us on the other side of town, there was City Electronics. They started in Windsor Plaza, then moved over off Chimney Rock during the 80's bust. The owner told me he was tired of the garbage and bodies that were getting to be a problem at Windsor Plaza. I guess th eAgora Ballroom must have close dback then too.

• 2 weeks later...

I also remember Abcor there on the corner of El Camino Real and NASA1. It almost seemed as though this was my second home. They had stuff nobody else had and knew their stock. I could go in there and ask for a 1.2K 1% resistor and have it in seconds.

I miss Brook and Corkie (sp) and their shop as it was one of the last of a well run, family business. I have not seen either one of them in a long time.

• The title was changed to Lafayette Electronics In Clear Lake

Archived