Eleanor Tinsley has died

kylejack

Eleanor Tinsley, an eight-term veteran of the City Council who was among the first women elected to citywide office, died this morning, Councilwoman Sue Lovell has confirmed. She was 82.

The cause of death was not immediately available, nor was information about funeral services.

Tinsley was a fierce and early advocate for the visual environment, battling a profusion of billboards in a fight that only recently reached a resolution and committing great energy to the development parks and green space.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metrop...an/6256146.html

They should name a park or something after her. . . in her honor. . . :)

J/K

I actually never knew who she was and what she meant to Houston until now. It amazes me how people get more attention when the pass away.

There is a park. I think it's on Allen Pkwy near the Sabine bridge.

She did so many things for this city.

There is a park. I think it's on Allen Pkwy near the Sabine bridge.

She did so many things for this city.

I knew I should have included " :rolleyes: "

Actually that is the only reason I know "of the name", because of the park, but I never knew why she was so important to Houston.

I knew I should have included " :rolleyes: "

Actually that is the only reason I know "of the name", because of the park, but I never knew why she was so important to Houston.

At least she got to see in her lifetime, the removal of unsightly billboards (mostly). This was a major initiative of hers in the 80's.

Archived