Sign in to follow this  
NancyB

Las Alamedas

Speaking of places that have been around for years but are now "temporarily closed" , what's up with Magic Island?

Speaking of places that have been around for years but are now "temporarily closed" , what's up with Magic Island?

they had a fire.

Overheard from a reliable source today that Las Alamedas is relocating. And when I drove by earlier -- sure enough! -- I saw moving trucks out front. No word yet on what will be done with the building itself or where Las Alamedas will be moving to.

Ahh, they'll probably tear the building down and build a CVS whose parking lot has a nice view. Between this, and the Wilshire Village, and the Tudor house on Hyde Park, and the Staub demo, I'm not feelin' the love for our old wide open real estate market these days.

That building has always had such a stately presence. It always seemed or at least I assumed it was a very classy, elegant and expensive place. Went to a gathering there a few months ago and was not impressed at all. Perhaps it was lavish when it opened? Maybe the clientele is what changed it?

Oh well, bet this one bite's the dust like most Houston icon's...Rat's :angry:

Food was mediocre at best. At night, the views of the ravine were nice though. Great building, hope it is not torn down.

Agreed on all points. :(

I really hope that something wonderful is done with the property. It's a killer location all around; hope someone is able to make something beautiful out of it.

Overheard from a reliable source today that Las Alamedas is relocating. And when I drove by earlier -- sure enough! -- I saw moving trucks out front. No word yet on what will be done with the building itself or where Las Alamedas will be moving to.

They now have it posted on the message board outside the restaurant that they will be relocating, but don't give specifics as to where.

Last time I drove by their sign said something to the effect of "Thanks for 28 years", and then definitely said "we will relocate".

It's a shame to see them relocate, as the architecture of the building and its location on the bayou there are some of the best reasons to go there.

The good word is that that Las Alamedas might be relocating to La Centerra (or whatever it's called) out in Katy. Hmm...

The good word is that that Las Alamedas might be relocating to La Centerra (or whatever it's called) out in Katy. Hmm...

I doubt the clientele from the Villages and Voss area will trek to Katy for their mexican food fix.

I doubt the clientele from the Villages and Voss area will trek to Katy for their mexican food fix.

I second that. I must also add that I doubt they will track to Katy for anything except fuel for they vehicles whilst fleeing some kind of natural disaster...

I second that. I must also add that I doubt they will track to Katy for anything except fuel for they vehicles whilst fleeing some kind of natural disaster...

This is true. ^_^

I agree, don't see that happening. I was surprised when it survived all the road construction, the past few years. The bayou is awesome, in it's natural state in that area.

Oh well. They lost the charm they once had. The location made the place. La Centerra is very cookie-cutter.

You know, I'm not surprised by this. The food there never really impressed me, although the location did (backside forest and bayou). I think the landlord figured out if he got somebody in there with food to match the ambiance, that restaurant would make more money and therefore be able to pay higher rent.

You know, I'm not surprised by this. The food there never really impressed me, although the location did (backside forest and bayou). I think the landlord figured out if he got somebody in there with food to match the ambiance, that restaurant would make more money and therefore be able to pay higher rent.

Thus far it seems to have worked for Rainbow Lodge. Their new location (which happens to be about 5 blocks from my house) backs up to White Oak Bayou and the Foodarama at TC Jester and Ella and, while still nice, isn't nearly as exotic or scenic as their former location. Nonetheless, the parking lot is full every weekend.

Of course, the menu is I bit more original and unique than was Las Alamedas'.

Las Alamedas' building was the real draw, the dark, "Old Mexico" spanish colonial feel in the front, the big glass windows overlooking the ravine in the back. They did have some good fish dishes, but overall, I don't think I'll bother finding out where the new Las Alamedas will be, but I sure will miss the old one.

Las Alamedas Restaurant & Cantina will open its doors at LaCenterra at Cinco Ranch in spring 2010.

Owner Jorge Sneider said he considered several locations when deciding to relocate the restaurant from its longtime home at 8165 Katy Freeway.

He said the strong demographics in the area played a part in his decision to open the restaurant in the shopping center at 23501 Cinco Ranch Boulevard and Grand Parkway in Katy.

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/stories/2009/10/12/daily25.html?ed=2009-10-14&ana=e_du_pub

• Like 1

Las Alamedas Restaurant & Cantina will open its doors at LaCenterra at Cinco Ranch in spring 2010.

Owner Jorge Sneider said he considered several locations when deciding to relocate the restaurant from its longtime home at 8165 Katy Freeway.

He said the strong demographics in the area played a part in his decision to open the restaurant in the shopping center at 23501 Cinco Ranch Boulevard and Grand Parkway in Katy.

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/stories/2009/10/12/daily25.html?ed=2009-10-14&ana=e_du_pub

When they reopen in a new location it's never quite the same though, isn't it?

Looks to open in the spring of 2010 in La Centerra. Formerly at I-10 and Voss

HBJ article

Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 12:43pm CDT

Las Alamedas set for spring opening at LaCenterraHouston Business Journal - by Allison Wollam Reporter

Las Alamedas was one of the first upscale Mexican restaurants in Houston, and was the site of many elaborate weddings.

Sneider closed the 28-year-old restaurant in February while he was attempting to negotiate a new lease with the landowners.

The new 7,654-square-foot location will serve the same traditional Mexican cuisine for lunch and dinner and will continue to cater private events.

Two tracts are fenced with a green screen. The tracts of land are separated by Old Voss road.

Anybody know the scoop? This could potentially be great mixed-use.