Classic Video Games (computer, handheld, system...anything)

I just haven't kept up with the times when it comes to video games. I still have my Atari and Super Nintendo (never had a regular Nintendo, dammit)...anyway, I was digging through one of the boxes from my parents' attic, and I found the ultimate handheld game. I thought it was lost, I used to play it all the time when I was little. Now that I found it, it has replaced brickbreaker (blackberry) as my, um, sit-down game of choice. Anyway:

Mattel Electronics: Football 2 (1978 - mine has "2" and not "II", not sure if there's a real difference)

Red blips on a screen - you can pass, run, and after you go to the edge of the screen, you show up at the other side, and all the defenders stay in the same place. Makes long plays an maze-ish adventure.

Mattel-FootballII.jpgMattel-Football2Canada.jpg

Pic is from http://handheldmuseum.com (http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Mattel/FB2.htm), which is a pretty awesome site.

Wow, you went way back!

First thing I gotta name is the original Doom, and Doom 2. I never played a lot of Wolfenstein 3D but remember playing a few levels way back.

On Nintendo it was all about Super Mario Bros. 3

On Super Nintendo my usual fav's were Super Mario Kart, Mortal Kombat 2, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Super Metroid, and NBA Jam TE

Wow, you went way back!

First thing I gotta name is the original Doom, and Doom 2. I never played a lot of Wolfenstein 3D but remember playing a few levels way back.

On Super Nintendo my usual fav's were Super Mario Kart, Mortal Kombat 2, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Super Metroid, and NBA Jam TE

I started way back just because I had the thing in my hand at the time. I played a lot of Wolfenstein, some Quake 2...definitely Super Mario 3. The very first Zelda, gold cartridge, is the best game ever though. I would invite myself over to friends' houses to play it. I have the game now, but no NES. One day...

For the Atari I had/have Combat (awesome 2 player super slo-mo tank battles), River Raid (this was a next generation Atari game that was awesome), Pac-Man, and Breakout. Breakout was so annoying, because the paddle controller (turny-knob thing) was screwy and would jump all over the place.

For years I played it on a black and white 13 inch TV, when I finally got a 19" color in my room it was like getting new games all over again.

Early/Mid 1980's - Atari 2600 and Intellivison. I still have them both. My step-sister and I could play Pitfall for hours and hours on end. And Combat... you could do sexual things with that game (position one tank right behind the other tank and try to drive forward... and then push the button, at just the right time). Nostalgic for the old system, I recently showed another adult the trick. He was unaware of that. But when I showed it to him, he couldn't stop laughing. Good to know they had a sense of humor back then... and that I had such a dirty mind.

I hated the Intellivision game controller. "How can we make a hand controller that is the most difficult, most uncomfortable to use?" My hand is crippled!

1987 was 7th grade. Was so into Nintendo then. Super Mario... 1, 2, and 3. Legenda of Zelda. Metroid. RC Pro AM.

...and then nothing until ~1 or 2? years ago. Bought a PS3 - for the BluRay player. I did play the game that came with it, for about week. And nothing since. I don't understand how people over 30 play video games.

Anyone nostalgic for Atari 2600 games can download the Stella emulator.

There are binaries for Mac OS X, Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP/Vista, Mandriva, Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex, and WinCE.

With a little hunting you can find OS/2, Amiga, Acorn, FreeBSD, DOS, and even IRIX versions.

And this link will get you hundreds of games to download for it.

Definitely the NES - I still have a few games I used to play (except for Mike Tyson's Punch Out - and that was my favorite for some reason)..

ztd854.jpg

Love those! I got a Nintendo Wii for Xmas, and one of my favorite things about it is that you can download for like $5 a piece any Nintendo Games from the past... I have already downloaded Super Mario Bros. 3 and The Legend of Zelda. I was so bummed when my mom told me she got rid of my NES and SNES... but now I don't need them.

Love those! I got a Nintendo Wii for Xmas, and one of my favorite things about it is that you can download for like $5 a piece any Nintendo Games from the past... I have already downloaded Super Mario Bros. 3 and The Legend of Zelda. I was so bummed when my mom told me she got rid of my NES and SNES... but now I don't need them.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need a damn Wii. Then again I'm cheap, ebay might be the answer. I'm guessing I can't get an NES emulator online, someone at Nintendo is probably monitoring that pretty well.

Anyone nostalgic for Atari 2600 games can download the Stella emulator.

There are binaries for Mac OS X, Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP/Vista, Mandriva, Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex, and WinCE.

With a little hunting you can find OS/2, Amiga, Acorn, FreeBSD, DOS, and even IRIX versions.

And this link will get you hundreds of games to download for it.

I have been doing that for the past hour now. Didn't take long to remember that Combat is way more fun with 2 people. And they didn't have River Raid! WTF? Probably some Activision nonsense.

My first system was a Sega Master System I got from my aunt for Christmas with Alex Kidd in Miracle World.

256px-Ms1v1.png240px-AlexKiddInMiracleWorldBox.jpg

Unlike most kids, my parents, dad in particular, did not understand the upkeep with the Sega Master System and never bought another game for it. Kind of cruel if you ask me as a kid at the time, but you have to admit, if a parent does not get it, they won't spend $30-$50 on a game. But I made up for it as an adult with my PS2 and PS3 love. :lol:

1989 - Sega Master System

1993 - Super Nintendo

1998 - Nintendo 64

2000 - PlayStation 2

2007 - PlayStation 3

Atariadventure.gif

The infamous Adventure dragon duck! :lol:

I'm with sevfiv. I was a NES girl growing up. Jaws, Paperboy, Super Mario Brothers...*sigh*.

On a related note, y'all will probably enjoy this guy's work:

http://kotaku.com/5145909/a-second-serving...ned-game-covers

Classic video games reimagined as books. Freaking awesome.

I read that one too K, very nicely done.

What was the price of Super Marios Bros 3 back in the day? Was it $39 or $49. My Babbages memories don't recall.

All you spoiled children with your gaming systems... Whatever.

Load "*",8,1 was where it was at !!!!

Spoiled. . moo. I was pretty much stuck with games on the PC downloaded from BBS's (remember those half naked .gifs of Paula Abdul. . .LOL)

Heck, I had to wait for the SNES to drop to $139 before I was allowed to get it for my birthday. It was a tough time with all the other "cool" kids ahead of me in the the video game console curve.

You pretty much could not get your friends to come over to your house if you did not have a game system. It was a status symbol whether you want to admit it or not.

You pretty much could not get your friends to come over to your house if you did not have a game system. It was a status symbol whether you want to admit it or not.

I dont know.. me and my friends rocked the C64 games.

First new gaming system I ever bought myself was an Xbox, and only then when Halo2 came out.

What was the price of Super Marios Bros 3 back in the day? Was it $39 or $49. My Babbages memories don't recall.

I remember it being as much as $70... I think I acquired mine for around $59.99. Parents hated paying those high prices, but it kept me entertained and happy, so they did it.

Heck, I had to wait for the SNES to drop to $139 before I was allowed to get it for my birthday. It was a tough time with all the other "cool" kids ahead of me in the the video game console curve.

Indeed, back around 1993 my house was the place to go. My friends came to me, I hardly ever went to them. Video games helped immensely, as did cable TV.

I remember it being as much as $70... I think I acquired mine for around $59.99. Parents hated paying those high prices, but it kept me entertained and happy, so they did it.

Indeed, back around 1993 my house was the place to go. My friends came to me, I hardly ever went to them. Video games helped immensely, as did cable TV.

That first Mario Kart, and later Mario Kart 64 ate my summers up.

All you spoiled children with your gaming systems... Whatever.

Load "*",8,1 was where it was at !!!!

RUN STOP/RESTORE, dude!

I didn't do much gaming on the 64, but it was my first gateway to the internet (1982) via a 300 bps connection to a college's Pr1me mainframe.

I ran a BBS from it for about three years. Me and a group of about 30 other people had an e-mail relay network across about six states. Back then an e-mail to Europe could take a couple of days to get there. Even domestically inter-network e-mail was only marginally faster than snail mail.

My first e-mail address was sysop.nowhere.arb

My first internet e-mail address was waynel!killer!jolnet...

Downtown there is an arcade machine store called Joystix that sells a bunch of old arcade machines. Next door there is a bar called 1820 (at 1820 Franklin St.) On the first and last Friday of each month, 1820 opens the door connecting to Joystix and for a fixed rate ($5 I think? Maybe 10) you get a wristband and can play unlimited video games in Joystix. They have the old sit-down Pacman/Galaga and many other relics. Its a real treat. There's nothing like drinking a beer and playing your old favorites.

Downtown there is an arcade machine store called Joystix that sells a bunch of old arcade machines. Next door there is a bar called 1820 (at 1820 Franklin St.) On the first and last Friday of each month, 1820 opens the door connecting to Joystix and for a fixed rate ($5 I think? Maybe 10) you get a wristband and can play unlimited video games in Joystix. They have the old sit-down Pacman/Galaga and many other relics. Its a real treat. There's nothing like drinking a beer and playing your old favorites.

I think we've found the location for the next HAIF meetup.

Sad, there's only one Atari 7800 on eBay right now. That was my dream machine.

Archived