F.U.N. Football Stadium At 6400 Bissonnet St.

e streeter

it was on bissonnett near hillcroft. i think the football stadium is still there but the F.U.N. name is no longer used. i think it was for 5th and 6th graders. they had drillteams and cheerleaders associated with each team.

in 6th grade i was raiderette for the raiders who were mostly red elementary students. we had very cool uniforms and had silver glitter on our tennis shoes.

• Like 1

it was on bissonnett near hillcroft. i think the football stadium is still there but the F.U.N. name is no longer used. i think it was for 5th and 6th graders. they had drillteams and cheerleaders associated with each team.

in 6th grade i was raiderette for the raiders who were mostly red elementary students. we had very cool uniforms and had silver glitter on our tennis shoes.

I certainly remember the F.U.N (Football United National) league very well (South Main Mustangs and Frilly Fillies rocked!). As I understand it, the teams were originally affiliated with several elementary schools, primarily in southwest Houston - Parker, Kolter, Anderson, West University, Red, Alameda, etc. Later the teams were supported by booster clubs. Back in the day, the league was extremely well organized and offered a quite good level of competition for elementary aged football. A number of former players actually went on to play professional sports - Greg Swendell, Thurman Thomas, and OJ Brigance played FUN football, and I'm sure there were others. The competition for the girls drill teams ("the drill bowl") was only slightly less intense, and I remember the Westbury Cougarettes and Steerettes putting on particularly lavish performances. Of course, as these areas changed the level of support declined, and I'm not sure what has become of the league. Perhaps someone can add some additional info.

I was a Redraider from 1970 to 1973. Learned allot under Coach Fowler, made great friends that lasted through high school and it prepaired me for the next leval of football.

Edited by redraider

post-7786-1234566475_thumb.jpgpost-7786-1234566475_thumb.jpg

My son was in FUN football for The Bears when he was in elementary school. And he went to the field on Bissonnett. He played a few years from 79 to 81 I believe. However, he was too worn out to play football in High School!

I was a Westbury Steer for 4 years, players came mostly from Anderson Elementary. As for the televised games, I believe they were shown Saturday afternoons on channel 39 through the 1969 season. I think Fun Stadium is now used as a soccer stadium, big surprise. However the stadium was used in the mid 80s as the home training facility for the Houston Gamblers of the short lived (USFL) United States Football League.

• 1 month later...

I remember.

I was a Sharpstown Tigerette!! The drill team for the Sharpstown Tigers. My brother played for them... I loved it.

We went to Sutton elementary and then Ed White. Most of the kids were from the Pat Neff elementary and Ed White elementary area.

I remember the cheer: "Nixon, Nixon he's our man, McGovern throw him in the garbage can!" We had no idea what we were saying but it was fun.

I competed in the Drill Bowl and it was very exciting. We actually won one year and came in second another. I still have my trophies!

We marched at a Rice game, and in the St. Patrick's Day Parade.

Marvin Zindler even participated. It was a blast.

• 3 months later...

I was on the F.U.N. drill team for the Shamrocks. I'll have to dig up an old photo. For some reason, my mother always lost my S for my uniform, so she would cut out a cardboard one and pin it on.

• 1 year later...

I certainly remember the F.U.N (Football United National) league very well (South Main Mustangs and Frilly Fillies rocked!). As I understand it, the teams were originally affiliated with several elementary schools, primarily in southwest Houston - Parker, Kolter, Anderson, West University, Red, Alameda, etc. Later the teams were supported by booster clubs. Back in the day, the league was extremely well organized and offered a quite good level of competition for elementary aged football. A number of former players actually went on to play professional sports - Greg Swendell, Thurman Thomas, and OJ Brigance played FUN football, and I'm sure there were others. The competition for the girls drill teams ("the drill bowl") was only slightly less intense, and I remember the Westbury Cougarettes and Steerettes putting on particularly lavish performances. Of course, as these areas changed the level of support declined, and I'm not sure what has become of the league. Perhaps someone can add some additional info.

I (John Simpson) played RB for the Steers from 74-77

Thurman Thomas was a teammate of mine at Willowridge, he didn't play FB til 7th grade and we had to talk him into actually playing after the season started...he did not play FUN football.....I believe OJ did..a couple years behind me...

• 3 years later...

Late to the discussion, but I played 4 years in F.U.N. Football for the Parker Cougars.  1963-1966.

The Freshman team consisted of 3rd and 4th graders.  My coach was Benny Valone and I can still see him kick at the ground and yell "Jimminy Crickets" when we made mistakes.  

The Varsity team consisted of 5th and 6th graders.  My coach was Fred Curry who had played as a lineman for Rice.  I think he was an insurance salesman and had all daughters.  We had coaches for every position, had trainers and doctors and played a very sophisticated game.  Plays called from the press box through the headsets.

Rumors were that the Oilers wanted to practice on the field, but were told no.  The turf was built for kids.  On the Varsity team you couldn't weigh more than 120 pounds at the start of the season.  

When I was 14 I worked at the stadium as part of the "chain gang" with the down markers.  The next year I was promoted to operate the electronic scoreboard and was official timekeeper.  Spent a lot of nights and all day on Saturdays there making some pretty good money for someone too young to get a regular part-time job.

Great memories.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Hello All,

I just wanted to inform you that F.U.N Football (www.funfootball.org ) still exists, and we still play at the same stadium on 6400 Bissonnet in Bayland Park. I currently serve as the president of the Bellaire Bears (www.bellairebears.org) organization and we are ramping up for the 2014 Season. If you have children that want to cheer or play football consider us. I am actually interested in connecting with former Bellaire Bears football players and cheerleaders, to compile a "Where are they Now" press booklet or informational packet for the current members and there parents.

If you played football or cheered for the Bellaire Bears contact me at bellairebears@gmail.com or leave a message on our Facebook Page.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

Wow, this brings back some memories. My dad coached the South Main Mustanges in the late 70's to the mid 80's ( Coach Fuzzy ). I was just a toddler in those days, actually the first place I ever went was to F.U.N. stadium. I still have all of his memorabilia, like his championship trophies, team photos, and game programs. I know he coached OJ Bigance because we'd go watch him play at Rice and they kept in touch over the years. I remember my dad telling me that some of the Houston Oilers would come out and help coach the team, you don't see that anymore. Great times!!

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Yes!  I remember! I played first string offensive halfback and defensive end on the Red Elementary School

team from 1960 to 1962   Those games were the most fun I’ve ever had in sports.  

Some of the other team members were Kirk Peters, Ted Smith, Tim Ohearn, David Arnsburger, Tom Johnson, Larry Rubinstein, and Billy Kircheimer.

Competion was intense!  We had miserable two a day workouts in summer training in 90 degree heat.  One was about 7:00 AM.  The other about 5:00 PM.  Full pads.  I got so sore, I could barely get out of bed the morning!

Those days were the only time I ever played full pad football.  In 1963 I tried out for the Johnston Jr. High team but didn’t make team.  Could no longer take the punishment of practice.  

Most of us also played Little League Baseball in the Willow Creek League.  I was on the Pirates.  Kircheimer was on the Dodgers.  The last year I played, Kircheimer hit a walk off homer off me in the league championship game.

Those were the days!

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I played for the Mustangs in 69-70.  The toughest team we played was the red devil's my varsity year. Seems they were from Angleton.  Years later I played at Dulles against Angleton and Brazoswood.  Those were fun times but 2 a day practice was a real eye opener.  I rember the night practice after daylight savings time like around October.  That was about the time Monday football started and we would get so pumped up when the stadium lights started flickering as they came on like they would at the start of Monday night football.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/25/2017 at 10:17 AM, Texasmusicman said:

I coached my son for 3 years in F.U.N. football. We started the West Side Rams. If anyone from that organization remembers those days it would be nice to hear from you. I really enjoyed teaching those boys about the game.

On 1/25/2017 at 10:17 AM, Texasmusicman said:

I coached my son for 3 years in F.U.N. football. We started the West Side Rams. If anyone from that organization remembers those days it would be nice to hear from you. I really enjoyed teaching those boys about the game.

We were called the “Voss West Rams”.

My Father, Charlie Milstead, coached us to 3 consecutive championships in ‘77, ‘78, & ‘79. I have the ‘79 game ball to this day!

16 hours ago, Lyle Milstead said:

We were called the “Voss West Rams”.

My Father, Charlie Milstead, coached us to 3 consecutive championships in ‘77, ‘78, & ‘79. I have the ‘79 game ball to this day!

I remember your father from the Oilers, and the Aggies before that.

• 3 months later...
On 3/26/2009 at 10:37 AM, laurap said:

I remember.

I was a Sharpstown Tigerette!! The drill team for the Sharpstown Tigers. My brother played for them... I loved it.

We went to Sutton elementary and then Ed White. Most of the kids were from the Pat Neff elementary and Ed White elementary area.

I remember the cheer: "Nixon, Nixon he's our man, McGovern throw him in the garbage can!" We had no idea what we were saying but it was fun.

I competed in the Drill Bowl and it was very exciting. We actually won one year and came in second another. I still have my trophies!

We marched at a Rice game, and in the St. Patrick's Day Parade.

Marvin Zindler even participated. It was a blast.

Ohhhh, I was one of the the starting running backs for maybe 74 - 78. We sucked bad, but it was a ton of fun. I’ve a pic I can upload … I got to go home and dig it up. I lived in tam o shanter street and went to Neff then Auty then second Baptist, then out of town and off the team. 

when the net first grew big in the mid 90s I found video of some of the games. Sadly not of the Tigers. We were filmed too I recall. We’re is that footage! Of us getting killed! Boy what ide give. 

• The title was changed to F.U.N. Football Stadium At 6400 Bissonnet St.