Houston Wax Museum

I think we need a Palace of Wax. You know, the Louise Tussaud's Palace of Wax/Ripley's Believe It Or Not" that you find in all the other major cities. We need more fun and affordable family attractions. Indeed they are kitschy, but they're also a load of fun. Surely I'm not alone on this am I? I've always had a thing for wax museums having visited them in Tucson, Dallas, San Antonio and L.A. I want one in Houston!

I think we need a Palace of Wax. You know, the Louise Tussaud's Palace of Wax/Ripley's Believe It Or Not" that you find in all the other major cities. We need more fun and affordable family attractions. Indeed they are kitschy, but they're also a load of fun.  Surely I'm not alone on this am I? I've always had a thing for wax museums having visited them in Tucson, Dallas, San Antonio and L.A. I want one in Houston!

See what I mean, you all think Houston is fine the way it is, but when you think about it, its missing alot of stuff other cities have. I want Houston to have one to.

We'll, I still want one despite my "experience" in San Antonio's when I was 15. I was with my aunt and cousin when I noticed they had gotten ahead of me and I found myself alone with the dummys. My imagination started going everywhere imaginable, and I about spooked myself to death. I literally ran all the way back through the museum to the entrance. I encountered a few other visitors along and way and nearly knocked them over. When I finally made it out, one of the employees asked if I was alright. Of course I was humiliated and everyone found out when we got back home.

Ahh...wax museums. Come on, Houston, get us one!

It would be awsome to have Palace of Wax/Ripley's, a mini golf course and a mega pizza restaurant with an arcade and a little stage inside for live entertainment. Have the three of them right there together. It would make a great destination for both tourists and local families looking for an alternative to Saturday night at the movies.

An ideal location would be the downtown area maybe around the aquarium, but I'm not sure where they'd put it.

I gotta admit it, I would like to see a wax museum too.  :)  I remember going to one in Gettysburg PA that was pretty cheesy.  You gotta love'em.

Ive been to that wax museum before and I agree it was pretty cheesy...but I would recommend a trip to the Gettysburg battlefield to anyone that is going to the area...even though they took down the giant lookout tower...but it is really neat and they did a great job preserving the history of the area

i travel a great deal and every city (and country) i've visited that has a wax museum seems to be the same. not to say they're not interesting but once you've seen one it's like you've seen them all. funny thing, my kids always seek out a wax museum as soon as we hit ANY hotel and when i give up and drag myself to yet another one, it is filled with grownups, who are usually quite amused!

we spent last christmas in niagra falls, ontario and visited their ripley's believe it or not. as customary we got wax hands made and now that we've got quite a collection i think it's cool to compare the new ones to old ones. they hold up very well. houston could for sure use a ripley's, as every city that has one seems to do well with tourists.

deb martin

Ive been to that wax museum before and I agree it was pretty cheesy...but I would recommend a trip to the Gettysburg battlefield to anyone that is going to the area...even though they took down the giant lookout tower...but it is really neat and they did a great job preserving the history of the area

They had a model of President Lincoln with a mouth that moved while they played his speech. Pretty funny. :lol:

I also would love to see one in Houston they can be interesting if nothing else.

I hate to be controversial, but when am I not :)? This goes back to what I have been saying for a while about Houston focusing a little more on tourism in the future. We are a business town......that is established, but large international cities being tourist friendly is a common thread that most of them have, and Houston is not a tourist friendly city, despite what some say. When visiting other cities as tourists, not having cheesy places like those Wax Museums can become noticable. If they are nothing else, their presence seems to say that particular city is a place for visitors as well as residents, which is the way most dynamic cities are. Houston doesn't have a Wax Museum but Dallas and San Antonio does. Although Houston is the largest city in Texas, it was the last of the 3 to get one of those ill-faited PlanetHollywoods. Although Dallas isn't a tourist city, it is far more tourist friendly than Houston and they get more tourists for it.

I am not saying a Wax Museum is going to make Houston into the ultimate world class city, but for me, those little trivial things or the lack thereof, speaks volumes.

NOW, should I tell the story of how I couldn't sleep after the first time I visited one of those places? But the sad part is I was an adult at the time. *Please no jokes*

I hate to be controversial, but when am I not ? This goes back to what I have been saying for a while about Houston focusing a little more on tourism in the future. We are a business town......that is established, but large international cities being tourist friendly is a common thread that most of them have, and Houston is not a tourist friendly city, despite what some say. When visiting other cities as tourists, not having cheesy places like those Wax Museums can become noticable. If they are nothing else, their presence seems to say that particular city is a place for visitors as well as residents, which is the way most dynamic cities are. Houston doesn't have a Wax Museum but Dallas and San Antonio does. Although Houston is the largest city in Texas, it was the last of the 3 to get one of those ill-faited PlanetHollywoods. Although Dallas isn't a tourist city, it is far more tourist friendly than Houston and they get more tourists for it.
Agreed.
I am not saying a Wax Museum is going to make Houston into the ultimate world class city, but for me, those little trivial things or the lack thereof, speaks volumes.

Wax museums are the epitome of class.

NOW, should I tell the story of how I couldn't sleep after the first time I visited one of those places? But the sad part is I was an adult at the time. *Please no jokes*

I'd love to hear it!

If anyone's interested:

407-345-8010

Rilpey Entertainment, Inc in Orlando; the corporate office

Ripley's is of course the company behind the wax museum chain. That number was given to me after I emailed the San Antonio location. I haven't called the number; I've been searching for an email contact. If you email from the Ripley's website, it will return undelivered.

• The title was changed to Houston Wax Museum

Archived