Home At 4306 Gibson St.

margokorin

So i took some pictures on my walk today to share with you all. This house is located on Gibson in between Snover and Jackson Hill. It has been under construction for over a year now. I dont think you can really tell in the pictures (thats just my bb camera) but there are 2 trucks parked inside the garage area. I assume they have access from the back. It is either 2 or 3 stories, kind of hard to tell. This place really fascinates me, as it made mostly of containers. It has a great steel staircase in the front of the house. Dont know if it will end up enclosed or not. Take a peek for yourself. My neighborhood had lots of hidden gems like this. Not all townhomes, even though it sometimes seems that way. ENJOY!

post-6783-1233609837_thumb.jpg

post-6783-1233609861_thumb.jpg

post-6783-1233609880_thumb.jpg

The house belongs to a reporter for fox and was apparently designed by her husband... though I couldn't find anything on him or the firm this was designed at for potential plans or more photos to share.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/pages/In...mp;pageId=5.2.1

There's some stuff on Swamplot about it, I think. Its got a neat driveway, too, made out of recycled glass of various colors.

There's some stuff on Swamplot about it, I think. Its got a neat driveway, too, made out of recycled glass of various colors.

Swamplot is about a different container house. And now that I really think about it, maybe it was someone at swamplot that asked me to post pics. <_<

There was a mention of it in the January/February 2008 issue of the Port of Houston magazine (part of a larger piece on shipping containers):

A new home rapidly going up at 4306 Gibson relies on the strength of numerous steel containers in an ingenious design that is stopping traffic in this quiet West End neighborhood. The owner and designer of this innovative home is Aaron Scott, a young, energetic offshore oil and gas platform engineer working for SBM Atlantia. On nights and weekends since December, he has been assembling his dream home from 16 containers and eight flat racks. Scott had only a few conditions he wanted to meet in the design of his home. “I wanted a pool and spa on a roof high enough to enjoy Houston’s skyline and a big garage,” said Scott. His new home achieves that and much more.

The first floor of the house is garage and storage. Not just any garage, but a garage that is eight shipping containers deep. The eight containers are parallel to the street with the rear doors facing inward so that they can be opened up for storage. Containers perpendicular to the street line the ground floor on the right side of the house and provide storage for motorbikes and similar machines. Flat racks covered with concrete form the floor for the second level. There is an open kitchen and living area overlooking the street through a gigantic two-story glass wall. Two bedrooms and a bath are also on this level. Shipping containers in the rear and on the side of the second and third levels offer space for dens, a home gym and storage. A third floor loft area overlooks the living area. The master bedroom and bath open onto a balcony that includes stairway access to the rooftop pool and spa. Steel beams hold the concrete walls in place. The doors of the containers that form the back wall of the house face outward so that they can be opened up to take advantage of the breeze or for light to come in through the glass door that will be installed inside the home to create a balcony beyond. When Scott began working on the design, he quickly realized that his rooftop getaway was too much for traditional wood frame construction. But by using a stack of shipping containers made from steel that are used to holding 60,000 pounds apiece, Scott’s dream is rapidly becoming a reality.

http://www.portofhouston.com/pdf/pubaffair...MagJanFeb08.pdf

A bit of a tangent, but does anyone know whatever happened to the container house built on Cordell Street? I went to an open house there by the builder when it was about 75% done in December of 2007, then work kind of stalled on it. I'm not sure if anyone is even living in it, but the redwood "shade" wall on the south side was never completed and the company that was building its website has vanished.

Are the bottoms of these containers waterproof as well?

Could one or more of these things be used as Houston basement or more realistically a half-basement ?

The bottoms are made of 1 & 1/4" marine grade plywood. Water resistant, maybe...but not waterproof, and certainly not suitable for long term burial below ground.

Thank you for all your kind words in regards to our still "soon-to-be" home. I am incredibly proud of my husband's design and his dedication in getting it done. When we started building (Jan.07), we knew there would be people who didnt share our unconventional taste, but we've been pleasantly surprised by all the compliments we've received. Thank you again...

-Kristine Galvan Scott

I'm not sure I understand your question.

I dont usually visit this site, as you can probably tell by the number of posts I've made. I simply signed up to say 'thank you' to those with kind things to say. Since I'm not sure if your question is meant to be hostile and I didnt come here to argue, this will be my last posting here.

-KGS

I dont usually visit this site, as you can probably tell by the number of posts I've made. I simply signed up to say 'thank you' to those with kind things to say. Since I'm not sure if your question is meant to be hostile and I didnt come here to argue, this will be my last posting here.

-KGS

Pretty sure he was complimenting how well your house integrates with the neighborhood, specifically the houses at 4302 next door. :)

Link <--- Looks like the Google car drove by when your home was still under construction, kinda cool!

Anyone know where you purchase shipping containers, or what one costs? Edit: NM, see some on eBay for $1800-$2100.

-KGS

Wow, sorry..it was totally meant as a compliment, bc i actually loved those townhomes next door to you (specifically 4302) and i also admire your home as well..I hope i didn't permanently run you away from HAIF, bc that was not the plan :(

Wow, sorry..it was totally meant as a compliment, bc i actually loved those townhomes next door to you (specifically 4302) and i also admire your home as well..I hope i didn't permanently run you away from HAIF, bc that was not the plan :(

:D Sorry, my bad. Please accept my own apologies...

KGS

A bit of a tangent, but does anyone know whatever happened to the container house built on Cordell Street? I went to an open house there by the builder when it was about 75% done in December of 2007, then work kind of stalled on it.

It has been done for some time now:

http://www.jillhunterphotography.com/numen/album

I'm not sure if anyone is even living in it, but the redwood "shade" wall on the south side was never completed and the company that was building its website has vanished.

Really? http://www.numendevelopment.com comes up just fine for me.

The bottoms are made of 1 & 1/4" marine grade plywood. Water resistant, maybe...but not waterproof, and certainly not suitable for long term burial below ground.

Isn't the bottom the same metal as the walls and top? The containers have marine grade plywood as flooring (left in place and refinished for the guest quarters for the Cordell house) but that isn't the actual bottom of the container itself.

I wonder what the inside of the shipping containers look like after decorating.

Actually, we are not "decorating" the inside of the containers. That may be one of the biggest misperceptions of this project. The containers act as framing and foundation. In the future, they will be cut mid-length in an effort to "join" or connect all the containers, but for now, they are merely storage space to fit that extra Christmas tree bought on sale.... or those extra ornaments, shoes, etc....

The containers act as foundation and framing for the rest of the house.

-KGS

• 8 months later...

A bit of a tangent, but does anyone know whatever happened to the container house built on Cordell Street?

I had a chance to go into the house this past weekend. great design in many aspects but in the child's room located in a container, I felt like I was in a trailer. the main living area is built between 2 40' containters with the ceiling elevated between the two and you did not feel claustrophobic. plenty of natural light in most rooms.

• 5 months later...

any info on the house at 4306 Gibson?

its worth driving by...lots of different elements including siding and support from huge dumpsters or shipping containers.

beautiful work though

Haven't seen it. Can you post a photo?

Archived