Super Bowl Loses A Bit Of Luster

RedScare

After months of bragging that the recession isn't affecting them, the NFL is forced to eat a little humble pie.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/28940062#28940062

Tampa expects 100,000 people for Super Bowl Week, down 50,000 from past years. TV ads barely sold out, suggesting that discounts were given to get rid of them. Overall spending is down. Can season ticket sales be far behind? The NFL stadium model is weighted heavily toward excessive corporate spending on luxury suites and club seats. In a recessionary period where the Big 3 execs were lambasted for flying to Washington, and Citi was chastised by the President for accepting delivery of a jet, how many corporate execs might find ponying up $200,000 for the stadium suite a recipe for PR disaster?

Even the Dallas Cowboys' new stadium is not immune. While confidently stating that "85% of available seats" had been sold, a reading of the fine print showed that "available seats" meant that only 51,000 of 60,000 seats are taken in an 80,000 seat stadium. A look at the Cowboys' ticket site shows that the non-PSL seats and the cheapest PSL seats are sold out, but all of the premium sections are still waiting for fans with fat wallets.

I don't doubt that TV numbers will stay pretty good. After all, it is free to watch the game on TV. I just wonder how the gameday numbers at the stadium will look next year. Remember, ticket selling season starts right after the Super Bowl.

After months of bragging that the recession isn't affecting them, the NFL is forced to eat a little humble pie.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/28940062#28940062

Tampa expects 100,000 people for Super Bowl Week, down 50,000 from past years. TV ads barely sold out, suggesting that discounts were given to get rid of them. Overall spending is down. Can season ticket sales be far behind? The NFL stadium model is weighted heavily toward excessive corporate spending on luxury suites and club seats. In a recessionary period where the Big 3 execs were lambasted for flying to Washington, and Citi was chastised by the President for accepting delivery of a jet, how many corporate execs might find ponying up $200,000 for the stadium suite a recipe for PR disaster?

Even the Dallas Cowboys' new stadium is not immune. While confidently stating that "85% of available seats" had been sold, a reading of the fine print showed that "available seats" meant that only 51,000 of 60,000 seats are taken in an 80,000 seat stadium. A look at the Cowboys' ticket site shows that the non-PSL seats and the cheapest PSL seats are sold out, but all of the premium sections are still waiting for fans with fat wallets.

I don't doubt that TV numbers will stay pretty good. After all, it is free to watch the game on TV. I just wonder how the gameday numbers at the stadium will look next year. Remember, ticket selling season starts right after the Super Bowl.

I have read other articles that give the same kind of evidence. One argument I've heard (on sports talk radio) was it was also partially due to the location; Tampa just doesn't have as much appeal as Miami and New Orleans. I think this was a poor excuse, since other super bowl sites recently have included Detroit, Houston, and Glendale (AZ) - and people still came. I just think companies are cracking down on travel and discretionary spending, plain and simple. No business is immune right now, not even the king of sports leagues. They'll come out fine, but they'll have to make adjustments like everyone else.

note: hope I didn't offend about the Houston comment, but seriously, we're not an awesome destination city. Not on that level. We make sense as a super bowl site because of 1) weather, 2) stadium, 3) airports. But if/when they have it here again, there will be the same whiners there were last time complaining that it's here. Screw 'em, whatever.

Maybe it's just that no one is THAT interested in seeing a super bowel if the Arizona Cardinals (9-7) somehow managed to be in it. :P

Whether you spelled that wrong on purpose or not, it's pretty funny.

On the surface, yeah the Cardinals in the super bowl is a stinker. I would have rather seen Philly vs Pittsburgh for sure, but the Cardinals have gotten my interest a little bit after 3 unexpected playoff wins. At least they aren't the Ravens, that team is nothing but boring.

I watched the whole second half and was actually engaged in the game, unlike the last couple of super bowls. "Retardnessburger", as my BF calls him, got damn lucky on that last throw. He looked about to be sacked.

The best ad was cashforgold.com. Hands down. My gold hip replacement! My gold pants!

I watched the whole second half and was actually engaged in the game, unlike the last couple of super bowls. "Retardnessburger", as my BF calls him, got damn lucky on that last throw. He looked about to be sacked.

first 1/2 was more exciting. i was bored 2nd 1/2 half until the last 2 or 3 mins. think i put on 5 lbs.

Maybe it helped that there were babies running crazy everywhere, but I thought the game was pretty interesting. As for the last throw, the one before that was just as perfect so I don't know how much you can say is luck.

Should have bet with my gut and gone Steelers straight up but not covering. My gut gets it wrong most of the time though.

Maybe it helped that there were babies running crazy everywhere, but I thought the game was pretty interesting. As for the last throw, the one before that was just as perfect so I don't know how much you can say is luck.

Should have bet with my gut and gone Steelers straight up but not covering. My gut gets it wrong most of the time though.

You must have missed more of the game than you thought because the last 3 throws of the game came from Warner's arm. After moving roughly 35 yds down the field to the Pitt 44 yrd line with 15 seconds left Warner's last pass was ruled a fumble. I think They got ripped off we think it was a forward pass.

You must have missed more of the game than you thought because the last 3 throws of the game came from Warner's arm. After moving roughly 35 yds down the field to the Pitt 44 yrd line with 15 seconds left Warner's last pass was ruled a fumble. I think They got ripped off we think it was a forward pass.

Yeah I meant Roethlisberger's last throw of the game. I did see the last drive, the Steelers did a great job of making them throw across the middle and have to use timeouts. I think that call should have been incomplete pass, I wanted to see Fitz go for a jump ball for the win.

first 1/2 was more exciting. i was bored 2nd 1/2 half until the last 2 or 3 mins. think i put on 5 lbs.

I passed out from too much Chili and Beer and too much boring game, during the 3rd quarter. I was out @ 8:30pm, and missed the best part, OF COURSE !

Considering the state of the economy, this is far from an appropriate year to be judging the interest in the Super Bowl, particularly where travel and hotel bookings are concerned. Regardless of which teams, what level of fan, host city, etc - a Super Bowl weekend is a very costly outing. I would imagine a lot of people opted to (or had to) stay home this year.

TIVO for the win! Or you could have watched it again on EPSN, they replayed the entire game this morning.

I am sure I can catch the last 3 or 4 minutes on youtube.com

Oh, and NBC reportedly sold out all the advertising and increased the windfall from last year by over $20 million. I think the economy showed in the lack lust of commercials being shown. CASH 4 GOLD with Ed McMahon and MC Hammer ? D-list celebs for a D-list company that is obviously raking it in on those poor souls who are getting pennies on the dollar for their broken gold. NBC's standards dropped very far, as they apparently made cut rate deals for the last 20 or so remaining spots to fill. Perhaps that's how Cash4Gold was able to get in ?

I created a Super Bowl spot a few years ago which was placed through a partnership we had with an out-of-town media buying agency. We got prime placement, right before the end of the second quarter and a discount off the published rate. I'm told the published rate is always just a mark they strive for -- big discounts happen every year.

I hear that just about everyone here hoping to rent out their houses for thousands per night, back during our Super Bowl was disappointed, too. A lot of the hype surrounding it is overblown and perpetuated by a strange collective desire among the "Super Bowl culture" to will the game to ever loftier heights.

I watched this year and enjoyed it. I like the ads because I'm in that business. But, if they didn't play it next year for some reason, I'd be alright.

• 1 month later...

I really enjoyed the Super Bowl this year. It took my mind off the state of the national economy for the night, and I think it did that for a lot of other people too. I think the fact that ads went slowly and the amount of people in the city for the week of the game went down is just a result of the economy being so poor right now. They will rebound strong just like many other industries in the next couple years.

• The title was changed to Super Bowl Loses A Bit Of Luster

Archived