This project is not going to break ground soon, I think we all know that. But it is not going away either. It will always be close to downtown, along the rail.

This is the type of property that Cypress Real Estate is marketing. It probably won't be exactly like their renderings, but will be similar in nature. Maybe the KBR gets developed first, but then hopefully this site will too. Of course, it could be 15-20 years away.

The reason I brought this topic back up is because Cypress has updated their website and they still list this project. All the need is for someone to bite.

hardy_yards_lg_01.jpg

http://www.cypress-a...nvestments.html

edit: listed under current projects http://www.davisalliance.com/content/view/72/160/

Edited by lockmat
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The renderings that the owner of the site put out are only used to show what can be done on the site, not what will be done.

Do you know if they have anyone interested in developing?

This is actually probably a better site than KBR, since it has light rail access. Do y'all disagree?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A couple of new things. First, a rendering, of course. But also this City of Houston document concerning a meeting with the Hardy Yard development authority. 

doc link: http://www.houstontx.gov/ecodev/tirz/agendas/21agenda.pdf

hardy+yards.jpg

rendering link: http://www.johnmoonstudio.com/gallery-marketing-illustrations/#!lightbox[group]/12/

Edited by lockmat
  • Like 2

I'll admit, John Moon Studios has a ton of cool "what if" illustrations, but that appears to be all they are... "what if" we had the money to make these areas look more appealing. Again, looks cool but do we know if they've been hired to actually do anything?

Edit: As you say in your other thread, I think you're right and that these are just for marketing purposes.

Edited by Triton

Well I think Cypress Real Estate who owns the land is doing exactly that. But it does seem like they are continuing to push this project forward. It's not simply a rendering some architect came up with on their own. They were hired by Cypress.

I definitely think it's going forward. I live just several blocks north of this project and I think it's very interesting that the city has a giant staircase leading to a station on the light rail bridge by UH-D. I'll take a picture of it and post it here. It makes me think the city clearly knows this project is going to go ahead and the project will be fairly large to require it's own station. (Currently, there's no development where the station is at so why would Metro drop off people no where).

But you'll have to forgive me.. I'm a highly skeptical person in general and I'm not 100% sure John Moon Studios is actually doing this. They have a good amount of renderings in their portfolio that I'm just not sure they're working on all of them. They even have a rendering for Tranquility Park in there..

Hopefully you're right though! It looks nice and it's something the Northside could definitely use. Anyone else notice they want to extend San Jacinto?

Sorry for the double post but I figured I'd post a picture that I just took of what I'm talking about.

Turns out it's actually two staircases leading to the station and both lead to this Hardy Railyard project. Metro wouldn't invest in this money if they don't know something was planned here:

LbTFXvl.jpg

Edit: Looks like they are even building an elevator. An elevator for just a dirt lot? I don't think so...

Edited by Triton
  • Like 3

Sorry for the double post but I figured I'd post a picture that I just took of what I'm talking about.

Turns out it's actually two staircases leading to the station and both lead to this Hardy Railyard project. Metro wouldn't invest in this money if they don't know something was planned here:

Edit: Looks like they are even building an elevator. An elevator for just a dirt lot? I don't think so...

Interesting... That's wasted money creating a stop there. Something def has to be planned for the future. Looking at renderings I was wondering if they could incoprate the Metro rail, didn't know there was a stop there.

I definitely think it's going forward. I live just several blocks north of this project and I think it's very interesting that the city has a giant staircase leading to a station on the light rail bridge by UH-D. I'll take a picture of it and post it here. It makes me think the city clearly knows this project is going to go ahead and the project will be fairly large to require it's own station. (Currently, there's no development where the station is at so why would Metro drop off people no where).

But you'll have to forgive me.. I'm a highly skeptical person in general and I'm not 100% sure John Moon Studios is actually doing this. They have a good amount of renderings in their portfolio that I'm just not sure they're working on all of them. They even have a rendering for Tranquility Park in there..

Hopefully you're right though! It looks nice and it's something the Northside could definitely use. Anyone else notice they want to extend San Jacinto?

I think we're on the same page. I see that in my rendering post it seemed that I was implying this was the final design. I agree, it's only conceptual and for marketing purposes only. The fact that there's a newer rendering leads me to believe it's closer to happening, even if it is a few years off.

Do those stairs go down towards the eastern side only or western, too? According to this map, I think the location in your photo is the Burnett transit center

http://www.gometrorail.org/clients/2491/456047.pdf

• Like 1

Ah ok. Then you're right.. on the same page. And yes, it is the Burnett Transit Center. Both the stairs and the elevator are all on the east side towards the Hardy Railyard project. There's nothing on the west side. 

As for Metro, even though I could make jokes about the organization all day, they do put a great amount of research into the locations of their stations. They're not just random. They plan to profit from all of these stations. Now unless UH-D plans to extend northward towards this station, there is absolutely nothing next to it. Not even an accessible street! I think Metro knows something big is going in here. The stairs are actually quite large and there are two elevator shafts for this place...

I decided to go back down there on my bike since, again, there's no accessible street:

Two massive stairs, two elevator shafts

iAVI2WW.jpg

No access from west side

PoNEr28.jpg

Full view though it may be a little hard to see everything... wish I had a better camera than my cell phone

9NNM7WC.jpg

• Like 2

I think those stairs were built with the master plan for the area in mind - a commuter rail/bus transit center.  I don't think this has anything to do with the Hardy Rail Yard Project, although it's certainly possible. 

I would guess mfastx is probably correct. I can't imagine metro planning on a private developer on how they set up stops. It would be foolish as they literally have no control over that. The intermodal terminal makes sense though.

not trying to be a Debbie downer, but they've been talking about doing something like this for the HRY for at least 10 years. I'm not holding my breath, but I hope Triton is on to something here.

Well this seems like the first step! I hope it happens! Had no idea that any of the stations were elevated. Wish the whole thing was or atleast had its own right of way on the ground or underground. And why not build it? Houston is growing so fast and doing so well why not?

dang, did they really have to use rusty 'ol 90's support beams?

That's our good friend weathering steel, designed to eliminate painting by having a layer of rust build on the surface, after which no more corrosion should occur.

• Like 1

I think Google Earth also paints a better picture btw (I realize we're talking more about a station than this project but I think this infrastructure still plays a role for the area):

A53miyQ.jpg

Count it... three rail lines to this station. Not the usual one or two.

That's our good friend weathering steel, designed to eliminate painting by having a layer of rust build on the surface, after which no more corrosion should occur.

I thought we stopped using that in the Houston area. I guess not

I thought we stopped using that in the Houston area. I guess not

No reason not to use it EXCEPT when it is above something lighter colored, like a concrete column or pier, and the rain washes over the steel and runs onto the concrete it leaves a significant stain.

The inclusion of an elevator doesn't mean anything. It's an ADA requirement, also I wouldn't take the giant stairs coming outwards as a indicator that something will be developed there. It's more poor design. I would personally love to see something happen there, but it is not really a priority for the city and really isn't deserving of development at this point in time. We need to focus on making midtown better and actually develop the east side of downtown. I think once all of that is fully in progress then we should focus or attention there. There is such a disconnect between the rail yard site and downtown and until that is addressed I don't think it will be a very successful project. You need much more than a transit stop to make it well connected. That being said I think if they got a proper architect, and had pedestrian, bike, bus, car, and rail connections to downtown this would be amazing. Without those factors it would be severely lacking and be a sort dissconnected island. Which we have to many of already.

...it is not really a priority for the city and really isn't deserving of development at this point in time. We need to focus on making midtown better and actually develop the east side of downtown.

I recommend that you drive through Northside. Although the residents are currently low-income Hispanic families living in the area, the city is clearly gearing up to transform this area by upgrading some of the neighborhood roads (including mine here in Glen Park), almost every street from Main to Fulton and beyond has brand new upgraded larger sidewalks, the city is currently renovating/expanding schools such as the Sherman Elementary School, and now there is the Red Line Metrorail Extension. Property taxes in the area are rising quickly... and with that being said, I saw the first new townhouse rows being built at Chestnut and Brooks which is near this very station. And although not currently listed on their website, the developers at CitySide bought a massive property on the rail line between Paschall and James just recently! Imo, the Northside is the next townhome/apartment/condominium/whatever boom area. It is so close to downtown Houston and this land is relatively cheap at the moment compared to the Heights or EaDo or Midtown. 

There is such a disconnect between the rail yard site and downtown and until that is addressed I don't think it will be a very successful project.

Which is why in that rendering that lockmat posted, San Jacinto is extended all the way to this project. New street, new sidewalks.