nothing now.

Where you at niche, to re-explain yo'self?

niche thinks it won't be for a while, years. i tend to agree.

If you google the Victory Park development, a similar sized former industrial site, you'll see that it took years to get it moving. They started remediation in 1996. They broke ground for the arena in 1999. They did not announce any residential or office components until 2003, 7 years later. Even now, 12 years later, only 7 or 8 buildings are built or under construction.

It takes awhile to do projects this big, and only a few developers can even attempt it.

If you google the Victory Park development, a similar sized former industrial site, you'll see that it took years to get it moving. They started remediation in 1996. They broke ground for the arena in 1999. They did not announce any residential or office components until 2003, 7 years later. Even now, 12 years later, only 7 or 8 buildings are built or under construction.

It takes awhile to do projects this big, and only a few developers can even attempt it.

So how long in comparison has the Hardy Rail Yard project been in progress? Have they been working on remediation or is that only starting now?

So how long in comparison has the Hardy Rail Yard project been in progress? Have they been working on remediation or is that only starting now?

The property was purchased over 2 years ago from the railroad, and remediation is largely completed. It is now a matter of a developer coming up with a marketable project for the site, securing financing, and starting to build. In the current climate, in spite of Houston's relatively insulated state, developers and lenders are likely being very careful.

^^^ So how does this tie in to the planned intermodal station that Metro is planning on? Is there remediation work being done on the portion of land that's slated for that project?

METRO is still working to overcome union pacific's statement that their tracks can't be used for commuter rail. seems METRO developed the proposal with the assumption that the use of the tracks was a given.

METRO is still working to overcome union pacific's statement that their tracks can't be used for commuter rail. seems METRO developed the proposal with the assumption that the use of the tracks was a given.

It is important to realize that this is merely musicman's opinion. UP's comments sounded much more like politics than fact. MY opinion is that UP made the remarks to ding METRO, at the request of Harris County politicos, who also are talking of cranking up commuter rail in that same corridor.

Your 2nd sentence was. That's fine. I just wanted to put my opinion up there in response to yours.

that was the UP version according to the story. i do agree that politicos will ultimately decide its fate. IMO it is longer term project vs the new rail lines METRO is concentrating on.

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know anything else about this development? (I didn't want to hijack the thread below so I started a new one)

This is from a listing on HAR.com

http://search.har.com/engine/disphrpic.cfm...Houston%2077009

The Musicman is using outdated marketing materials for a project that was entirely comprised of marketing hype in the first place to try and market a plot of land nearby that would hypothetically benefit from the development of Hardy Yards, which isn't happening in the forseeable future.

wow! what an ___ it says in the listing that development "will" start in 2008. how do we go about checking on these things (besides posting here, that is)?

CBRE was trying to sell this in November 2006 as raw land. They provide conceptual renderings, but that's all they are. There are no restrictions upon what a prospective buyer could use the land for.

There is no Hardy Yards project.

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking this project is scrapped. I drove north of downtown over by UHD at the site and all the developer signs that said: Cushman and Wakefield and Urban Village were taken down. Oh well.

• 2 months later...

I know niche and others are saying nothing is going on. I know this presentation is old, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

http://www.uli-houston.org/PDF/060328HardyYards.ppt

It says January '09 for groundbreaking and that it would start after the san jacinto bridge was completed. Has that been done?

Anyway, just thought it was interesting. Wanted to see if anyone has heard something new concerning that land.

Edited by lockmat

• 2 weeks later...
In this St Arnolds article, they do make mention of the Hardy Yards project briefly, with that being one reason St Arnolds chose the location to build. Hmmm. Maybe its not as dead as we think? Just in hibernation?

http://www.globest.com/news/1212_1212/houston/172776-1.html

Interesting.

The building also is near the 50-acre Hardy Yards project, a mixed-use, urban development that's in the planning stages.

• 7 months later...

Just found a Public Notice that METRO released in February regarding demolitions on the Intermodal Terminal Lot. The Notice states that the purpose of the demolitions is "to make way for development associated with the Light Rail expansion." The demolitions are supposed to be completed by the end of March, per the Release.

Here is a Composite Map of the Demolitions: Composite Map

Properties include:

1101 Naylor Street (map)

1115 Naylor Street (map)

800 Burnett Street (map)

Here is the Notice: http://metrosolutions.org/go/doc/1068/223165/

Page on which the Notice appears (METRO Solutions front page): http://metrosolutions.org/go/site/1068/

Thoughts? Insight?

Yes--and when looking at it in that context, this needs to happen immediately (though it probably won't happen for several years).

there's no incentive for them to move. they own their current facility vs going where they most likely won't