• Replies 966
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The second set of apartments are called the "Exchange"   https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/Mixed-income-housing-project-breaks-ground-near-14973901.php The 300-unit comp

Untitled by Houston Midtown, on Flickr   Untitled by Houston Midtown, on Flickr   Untitled by Houston Midtown, on Flickr Untitled by Houston Midtown, on Flickr

They were loading out the crawler crane that built the 2 story precast parking garage.

Posted Images

Someone let me know if this is not more universally the case but in the cities with which I am familiar (Chicago, Washington D. C, and the San Francisco Bay Area primarily) the train lines are referred to by color, e.g. The Blue Line, The Yellow Line, etc. This is useful to the visitor or tourist because the "maps" at the stations or on the trains are usually schematic (not to scale and not accurately representing the geographical route of the trains). This is especially true it seems of subway trains.

I think if Houston winds up with no more than 8 major light rail lines (wouldn't that be something), giving each line a color name would work just fine. After all my first box of Crayola crayons had 8 different colors.

• Like 1

Someone let me know if this is not more universally the case but in the cities with which I am familiar (Chicago, Washington D. C, and the San Francisco Bay Area primarily) the train lines are referred to by color, e.g. The Blue Line, The Yellow Line, etc. This is useful to the visitor or tourist because the "maps" at the stations or on the trains are usually schematic (not to scale and not accurately representing the geographical route of the trains). This is especially true it seems of subway trains.

I think if Houston winds up with no more than 8 major light rail lines (wouldn't that be something), giving each line a color name would work just fine. After all my first box of Crayola crayons had 8 different colors.

London intra-city rail (the Underground) has names for all of th elines. Bakerloo, Jubilee, District, Circle, etc.

London intra-city rail (the Underground) has names for all of th elines. Bakerloo, Jubilee, District, Circle, etc.

Just like our Freeways. The only name of the line I don't like is the Brown line. There are a million other colors I could think of other then Brown.

Just like our Freeways. The only name of the line I don't like is the Brown line. There are a million other colors I could think of other then Brown.

Are you referring to Houston Metro??   We don't have a Brown line, nor do we have one planned.

Are you referring to Houston Metro??   We don't have a Brown line, nor do we have one planned.

It was originally referred to as Brown Line but was changed when people complained that it went through a Hispanic/black area.

Edit: The Green Line.

Edited by Triton

Word on the street is that UH-D wants a piece of this action too. They plan on locating student housing in the immediate vicinity of this station, as well as establishing special leases with existing apartments in the Near Northside. I've heard this both from members of UH-D's student government, and from a member of the upper administration.

Regardless of what else happens, student housing for UH-D will be in this area within two years' time.

• Like 2

Word on the street is that UH-D wants a piece of this action too. They plan on locating student housing in the immediate vicinity of this station, as well as establishing special leases with existing apartments in the Near Northside. I've heard this both from members of UH-D's student government, and from a member of the upper administration.

Regardless of what else happens, student housing for UH-D will be in this area within two years' time.

This would be great news. But part of me feels for those owners of those crappy, decaying homes who will be displaced. But that might be the spark that revitalizes that area.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Believe it or not, they thought of that. North, East End, and Southeast are the project names. They will be operated as the Red, Green, and Purple Lines.

• Like 1

(i cant really tell whats going on in the drawing/plans, though i noticed some plans were a couple years old)..

i hope they save some space for a high speed rail terminal at the Hardy Rail Yard. it would be awesome to have the high speed rail line from Dallas come into the city along the Hardy Tollroad since there are already existing train tracks and ROW in place.. the trains could follow the new Hardy Tollroad Downtown Connector to the Hardy Rail Yard. 

i know the idea is a stretch but it makes perfect sense IMO. do they really want a terminal way out of the city, or at an airport (in this case, BOTH)? the high speed rail needs to be connected to the light rail system and light rail doesnt go far enough north to for the HSR terminal to be anywhere else but inside the city, and the Hardy Rail Yards is the perfect place.

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 1

Years ago on a thread, there's discussion where the owner of the rail line stated it will NOT be used for passenger rail because the line is too busy commercially.  The article was originally in the chronicle.  This article came out because METRO kept pushing for the intermodal but the owner stated they were not even contacted by METRO about this "plan".   UHD is a good bet that they try and get in on the action.

Edited by musicman
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hardy-Yards.jpg

Hardy Yards Redevelopment Plan and Landscape Architecture

http://www.designworkshop.com/steven-spears/#

Mixed–use, transit-oriented redevelopment of the former Union Pacific railyards, located adjacent to downtown Houston, that links the site to 250,000 jobs. 
  • Reclaimed 100% of the site from railyard to development.
  • Preserved 37% of the development edge facing the city skyline for the public through parks and street right of way.
  • All units within a five-minute walking distance to a park.
  • Increased walkability by 35% over City standards, allowing for more direct connection to and from the adjacent light rail station.
Edited by Urbannizer
  • Like 5

From that rendering, it looks like it still is a proposal.

This is at least the second or third rendering that shows that same exact park. Looks as final as the regent square renderings to me

• Like 1

I'm not clear on that rendering?  It looks like a hodge-podge of different apartments with different styles.  Far from some sort of unifying masterplanned center (think City Center or any of those Uptown projects of similar scope).  And the firm with the rendering is a landscape architecture/urban planning firm it would seem.

I don't see how this project has legs with just residential and parkscape (as is presented in that rendering), and not to mention the fact that there are plenty of brand new (or soon to be finished) apartments targetting the exact same demographic as depicted here all over the inner loop.

A shame they didn't have the forward sort of vision needed to incorporate Dynamo Stadium into this overall development.

It's possible to have one firm design the infrastructure, landscaping etc and have other firms come and plug their buildings in. I believe Hines is doing something similar north of Memorial.

Honestly, I prefer that approach. Real cities are not like City Centre; they *are* a hodge-podge.

I agree.  But City Center is nice to look at on the oft chance I am in that part of town.

I would imagine if this is a project beyond just conceptual work that they do in fact have a landscape architect on board.

What would be wonderful to incorporate into this is an expanded presence of UHD in and around it.  Perhaps they can work with UHD on that?

I don't see how this project has legs with just residential and parkscape (as is presented in that rendering), and not to mention the fact that there are plenty of brand new (or soon to be finished) apartments targetting the exact same demographic as depicted here all over the inner loop.

It could work with all residential, and perhaps a little bit of retail. Like half a cup.

The rents downtown are high.  What we need - in and around downtown - is more affordable spaces for smaller companies.

I also don't see this project working to its full potential without commercial & retail.  Besides, do all of you really want such a big piece of land so close to downtown really just being 1 more tract with 4-5 floor apartments above ground level parking?  I don't.  I'd like to see something better.  Think West Ave before they shelved all the hotels and highrises.

• Like 3
  • 5 weeks later...

If there is an Eiffel Tower replica in Texas, it should be in Paris, Texas, which it is. 

It makes the whole thing look ridiculously cartoonish.

At least it breaks the mold of the for profit driven aesthetic in architecture that has been plaguing Houston lately. Any scaled version of a famous landmark in Houston would fit in with its international feel.

The only place this "cartoonish" Eiffel replica would be more suited would be on top of the future Chevron tower. 

• 2 months later...