Guest Plastic

Wow they're really gonna do this? When will it start and be completed?

Well it's kinda far North to be the central station but it's near Downtown.

Myquestion is hwo are they gonna get people from the place to employment centers. In my concept I had had one central station and 3 adjacent to employment-activity centers. 1 at Bayou Place, 1 at Allen Center, and 1 at The Park. Those are three areas were people work and go alot. Then there's be a monorail circling Downtown connecting all 3 as well as minor spots like The Library, courthouses,St.Joseph's Hospital, and the sports venues.

Alter it a little and people could jump straight from TheHardy Railyard to Allen Center, or The Park to get to work. Maybe we should make the monorail go to The Railyard. Do this and Housotn will be alot more likely to get The Olympics.

I believe many people in this web site and so many countless others in Houston would like to see a dynamic corridor established that would someday join other dynamic corridors and urban areas to create a meaningful pedestrian oriented type city. Some people think that ...''diversity" is a mandated politically correct movement however I see this as a hindrance to constructive development where what is needed is homogeneity of at least income and mentality ...if not culture. I personally do not want to rub elbows with people who are low income, those teens who listen to rap music and call themselves gangsters,who may or may not have mental disorders or people who are substance abusers though I do firmly believe they need our help and love as anyone else. Putting people of dissimilar backgrounds and incomes together in a potentially important and dynamic development , as in the Hardy Rail Yards, is a perfect way to squander one of Houston's few possible meaningful moments of growth in the right direction. For all of those urban planners who disagree please not how large the homogeneous areas around Houston have grown over the past 20 years and imagine what kind of city we would have if so much of that development was in downtown or midtown or even in the area south of Reliant Park but cannot happen because no one , including our greatly ...diverse....city council can convince people or developers that living in Houston would be like living tension free as people live in the suburbs, not having to constantly look over your shoulder at the person who is paralleling your path or by worrying about your children going to a school that will sabotage the child's education and put the child in the path of inner city school violence.

That's the longest run-on sentence I've had the pleasure of spotting in a long time.

• 3 weeks later...
i just drove by the site the other day and i saw some tractors and stuff looking like their clearing the land and paving way for the development. It looks to me that some progress is starting to be made. I could be wrong. Has anyone else been by the proposed site?

That's pretty crazy! I thought there was going to be a ribbon-cutting ceremony...

• 3 weeks later...
Just cross your fingers and hope that the price doesn't go too high. The higher the price from this flip, the less likely is short-term development.

i'm just glad that it looks like they're adding retail into the equation. It would have kind of defeated the purpose if they didn't. If i'm not mistaken, that third rendering looks like there may be a farmers market there.

Edited by scarface

i'm just glad that it looks like they're adding retail into the equation. It would have kind of defeated the purpose if they didn't. If i'm not mistaken, that third rendering looks like there may be a farmers market there.

They're selling the land, not the concept. The ideas presented are ENTIRELY conceptual, used only as marketing materials.

Don't count on what you see presented from CBRE as being the end result.

So this could really end up as anything. I'm wondering if any developer will still have an appetite for a large residential development in a somewhat risky area. Looking at Camden's failure to develop the Midtown superblock, I would guess it may be a long time before anything happens there.

They're selling the land, not the concept. The ideas presented are ENTIRELY conceptual, used only as marketing materials.

Don't count on what you see presented from CBRE as being the end result.

A little confused here. Your second sentence kind of contradicts your first. First you say they're not selling the concept but then your second statement says that the concept is being used for marketing? :unsure:

A little confused here. Your second sentence kind of contradicts your first. First you say they're not selling the concept but then your second statement says that the concept is being used for marketing? :unsure:

They are using the conceptual land plan as a tool for marketing purposes. The idea is to show prospective buyers what could be possible. And although I'm sure that the rights to the preliminary land planning that has been conducted this far will be sold with the property, the new owner is not bound by some contractual obligation to develop Hardy Yards as shown here.

They will do whatever they damned well please with it and they'll do it at a time of their choosing.

What you see is NOT what you get.

• 2 months later...

So what does the sale of the property mean? What happened to the investors who bought it a couple years ago? Do yall think they changed their minds, and that's why they're selling it? Or are they just trying to profit?

I don't know how this stuff works.

Confused

Edited by lockmat

So what does the sale of the property mean? What happened to the investors who bought it a couple years ago? Do yall think they changed their minds, and that's why they're selling it? Or are they just trying to profit?

Cypress also had a stake in the Westcreek redevelopment, which they also sold off. It could just be profit taking, or it could be that something spooked them or one of their major stakeholders about the Houston market. Its really hard to say what is going on internally with them...could be nearly anything.

I don't know how this stuff works.

Those who know how this stuff works know enough to know that they don't know either...unless they're an insider...

psst...Houston-development, that's your cue! :ph34r:

In a word, yes.

But I can guarantee you that something will be built...eventually. The question is what and when.

Noooo. Houston development, make him stop. Tell us he's wrong :(

• 1 month later...

Cypress is much more of a land speculator/value adder than they are a vertical developer. They are fantastic at identifying a site, cleaning it up, creating a vision, and then selling it off to someone else who will actually develop it. I question whether they ever intended on doing much more on this site than they have.

So what will happen with this project. Lets use Dallas' motto for Victory, if you build it, they will come.

And if we build out Hardy Yards, Allen House, BLVD Place, Westcreek, High Street, Town & Country, KBR/Halliburton, and Astroworld nearly simultaneously?

There is no question in my mind that they will come. ...but in what number and at what price point?