someone said that retail isn't apart of the plan either but i'm wondering why in that second rendering, there's people walking around like they're shopping? :blink:

I read that too. Let's just hope the company has a sense of humor. :D IMO, it would be quite silly to have this huge swath of land with no sort of amenities to make it a walkable environment. Totally defeating the purpose. The layout of the plan has retail in the center of the development.

Many moons ago before the Great Message Board Wipe, I wrote a post about a flight I took from Ellington on route to Love Field (via IAH). You flew over the Hardy Rail Yard Area and Victory in Dallas. From the air, you got a whole new appreciation for how much they approximate each other in terms of their location to their respective downtowns and their size. Sure, Victory is technically larger, but Hardy has the potential to register as significant an impact.

What are the possibilities of this development getting Metro and the city to actually build the Inter-Modal station and commuter lines prefarbly down US 290/ Hempstead. If they would build a commuter line down 290 and have bus tranfsers at the Inter-modal and/or Downt Town that would be good enough to get me out of my car.

Edited by T 2 THA C

Nice for that part of town. Alot of hopeful project for Downtown! (Pavillions, The Park, METRO, now this!)

But what about Midtown? will this take any opertunity Midtown might have to become not such a dump?

As I understand the plan, the Greyhound station would be moved to the new station. Therefore removing the blight from midtown.

Edited by bkjones98

I can only speculate when the Greyhound station will relocate, but I think we can confidently assume that a move will coincide with the development of the Hardy Yards.

I, like the rest of the Midtown residents, cannot wait for that place to go. I think the owners and residents of 2016 Main will enjoy the first breath of fresh air. The lot across the street used for some rent-a-car place would likely relocate as well. Maybe the old "Town Square" building will make way for further development. I seem to remember a big hospital going up near area of Midtown too. Who knows?

Hate to make an Atlanta comparison, but this could become Houston's Bucktown, or whatever they call it. I know Houston already has Uptown to fill that role, but why not two?

If you are going to compare it to Atlanta, better compare it to the 17th Street project ? Atlantic Station. Houstons Uptown puts Buckhead to shame. trust me i have lived in and chilled in both. Uptown is way bigger and a lot more buisnesses and nite life, ever since the club scene went down in Atl. Actually it was houston that started this redevelopment stuff back with the rice Lofts and Bayou place.

Actually, DT Atlanta has more Class A office space than DT Los Angeles, but I understand what you mean. Uptown's a big mofo.

Buckhead is indeed smaller than Uptown but it's no small fry either. Kind of dull at times but it has size.

And I'd agree that HY would probably be more like Atlantic Station, if you were to make a comparison between trendy nouveau-urban developments.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i noticed cranes over towards the hardy rail yards recently. i was on 59 heading north towards the loop. i don't know of any other development between where i was and downtown. am i correct in thinking that these cranes are at the hardy rail yards?

btw, i pointed them out to my dad, told him about the hardy rail yard project and he remembered having his railroad apprenticeship at that location when he was 16. he is 69 now.

i noticed cranes over towards the hardy rail yards recently. i was on 59 heading north towards the loop. i don't know of any other development between where i was and downtown. am i correct in thinking that these cranes are at the hardy rail yards?

btw, i pointed them out to my dad, told him about the hardy rail yard project and he remembered having his railroad apprenticeship at that location when he was 16. he is 69 now.

I wouldn't be able to tell you if this is the Hardy rail yards or not. Some people see the UHD construction and think its the hardy yards though. I would think if it was the yards that there would of been more hoopla.

Has anyone heard anything lately on the yards?

I wouldn't be able to tell you if this is the Hardy rail yards or not. Some people see the UHD construction and think its the hardy yards though. I would think if it was the yards that there would of been more hoopla.

You're correct about it being UHD. Hardy Yards is not yet under way.

• 3 weeks later...
Metro's long-term plans also call for a commuter rail line from U.S. 290 and northwest Houston that could terminate at the site, he said.

this wouldn't have anything to do with the controversial toll road ROW cutting through the heights would it? hmmmmm.

This isn't a surprising move, as it's been planned for a couple of years. Nevertheless, it's a very encouraging move. The sooner they can actually secure the land, the sooner they can finalize plans to extend the current Red Line north to an intermodal facility--which, in turn, would keep the overall Hardy Yard development buzzing.

• 1 month later...

the last I heard the City is in a pissing match with the developers. The City wants something in return for granting the permits. I think they want low income housing or perhaps its land for city development, I don't know.

• 4 weeks later...
AS IF...there isn't enough low income housing in this city. There's low income housing ALL around there. EVERYWHERE.

I believe many people in this web site and so many countless others in Houston would like to see a dynamic corridor established that would someday join other dynamic corridors and urban areas to create a meaningful pedestrian oriented type city. Some people think that ...''diversity" is a mandated politically correct movement however I see this as a hindrance to constructive development where what is needed is homogeneity of at least income and mentality ...if not culture. I personally do not want to rub elbows with people who are low income, those teens who listen to rap music and call themselves gangsters,who may or may not have mental disorders or people who are substance abusers though I do firmly believe they need our help and love as anyone else. Putting people of dissimilar backgrounds and incomes together in a potentially important and dynamic development , as in the Hardy Rail Yards, is a perfect way to squander one of Houston's few possible meaningful moments of growth in the right direction. For all of those urban planners who disagree please not how large the homogeneous areas around Houston have grown over the past 20 years and imagine what kind of city we would have if so much of that development was in downtown or midtown or even in the area south of Reliant Park but cannot happen because no one , including our greatly ...diverse....city council can convince people or developers that living in Houston would be like living tension free as people live in the suburbs, not having to constantly look over your shoulder at the person who is paralleling your path or by worrying about your children going to a school that will sabotage the child's education and put the child in the path of inner city school violence.