1 hour ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Massive purchase by UHD as it expands its campus downtown. How close is this to the Hardy Yards development?

http://www.chron.com/business/real-estate/article/UHD-buying-17-acres-downtown-7940337.php#photo-9340488

Looks to be right across Burnett Station from Hardy Yards, at the Daly Street Park and Ride lot.

"Combined with two adjacent parcels of land the school already owns, the 17-acre tract will give it control of 27 contiguous acres bordered by White Oak Bayou to the west, North Main to the east, the Union Pacific railroad tracks to the north and the existing UHD campus to the south."

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cloud713 said:

Looks to be right across Burnett Station from Hardy Yards, at the Daly Street Park and Ride lot.

"Combined with two adjacent parcels of land the school already owns, the 17-acre tract will give it control of 27 contiguous acres bordered by White Oak Bayou to the west, North Main to the east, the Union Pacific railroad tracks to the north and the existing UHD campus to the south."

I wasn't 100% sure this was the land they were talking about, but wow this school is growing big time. Possibly a future Div 3? 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Texasota said:

curvy streets, narrow sidewalks and grass strips.

I appreciate the bump-outs though, but ultimately the buildings will determine just how suburban this ends up seeming.

Yep, I am very bummed that they continue to build narrow sidewalks with the grass strips. Especially so close to downtown. 

Edited by dml423
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Texasota said:

I appreciate the bump-outs though, but ultimately the buildings will determine just how suburban this ends up seeming.

Looking at the most recent concept drawings, you have to have some sort of curve to the E/W streets to use the land appropriately.  We need an elevated picture of the new construction infrastructure to see if it is matching this relatively dense concept.

I agree though that those narrow sidewalks are awful anywhere they're expecting pedestrian traffic.  Only advantage of them is a place for your dog to pee.

On 11/22/2015 at 1:08 PM, nate4l1f3 said:

I don't mind the grass strip if it has those orderly-looking trees planted in it. In five or so years, as they get larger, they will provide a far more valuable thing: shade for both the sidewalk and the street, something that cannot be understated in its importance during a Houston summer.

Edited by The Pragmatist
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

How so? Landscaping wise?

11 hours ago, Texasota said:

Basically what he said. I don't hate landscaping so much. For me, it's mainly the small sidewalks. Too much grass.

sidewalks in an area that is built to promote pedestrianism should not be built to minimum widths. go at least 5'. They could easily achieve 5' and still have trees. now they've got 3' sidewalks, which are fine if it's one person walking one direction. two people going two directions. someone has to step off the sidewalk. and there's dog poo there. even if there isn't dog poo, people treat sidewalks as walkways through lava, where the grass is the lava.

4 hours ago, samagon said:

sidewalks in an area that is built to promote pedestrianism should not be built to minimum widths. go at least 5'. They could easily achieve 5' and still have trees. now they've got 3' sidewalks, which are fine if it's one person walking one direction. two people going two directions. someone has to step off the sidewalk. and there's dog poo there. even if there isn't dog poo, people treat sidewalks as walkways through lava, where the grass is the lava.

Good news:  The subject sidewalks are 6 feet wide.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Nucleareaction said:

I'd imagine BeerNut means that sidewalks are for walking, and it's illegal for bikes to be on them within 300 feet of a business.

Without the biking part in my comment, I just meant the sidewalks don't seem small at all. They seem adequate for two people to walk past each other without a problem.

I wasn't aware of the 300ft clearance in front of business.  I enjoyed the cemented walking/biking paths from my Colorado friend's suburban home to the small downtown area.  Just thought  something like that would cool for this development but these are typical sidewalks.  They even have what I'm talking about on Newcastle Dr in Bellaire for reference. 

1 hour ago, Nucleareaction said:

I'd imagine BeerNut means that sidewalks are for walking, and it's illegal for bikes to be on them within 300 feet of a business.

Interesting, but not quite accurate.  Turns out it is only illegal to ride bicycles on sidewalks "in a business district."   "Business district" means the territory contiguous to and including a roadway when, within any 600 feet along such roadway, there are buildings in use for business or industrial purposes which occupy 300 feet of frontage on one side or 300 feet collectively on both sides of the roadway.

FWIW, in non-business districts, the city traffic engineers can designate sidewalks on which it is illegal to ride bicycles.

• Like 2

Interesting indeed. As someone who bikes downtown quite frequently, I thought I could bike the sidewalks under a certain speed. If it's illegal to bike downtown on the sidewalks, the police certainly don't enforce it and I've certainly seen police officers riding bikes on the sidewalks too. Edit: Not that it makes it right. Really thought it was legal.

I honestly just think the images made the sidewalks look smaller than they actually are.

Edited by Triton