Hell why not stop the rail in College Station. Having the main train station 20 miles away from downtown is ridiculously inconvenient to pretty much everybody who doesn't live along the 290 corridor. Furthermore, the idea is to not only connect business between the two cities but cultures as well. Stopping that far northwest of the city makes it a hassle to get to midtown, downtown or NRG Park. Their heart is in the right place but I don't know where in the h e l l  their brain is.

• Like 3

Because it would deviate the line from it's established "Utility Line" Route. Besides, a station there will be a catalyst for future growth and extension of CStat to that area. There will most likely be a bus route to and from, and as development and ridership increases at the CStat station, there might even be a rail line to and from the campus.

• Like 2

I agree Anthony. I like a set up like in New Orleans. A transit hub where you catch a train, Greyhound, megabus, city buses and trolleys and it's right on the edge of the core. Last week I took in a few last minute attractions in the quarter, bought a few gifts, then took a 15 minute walk to the station.

If I was a visitor and I hopped off a train on 290 I would never come back to Houston again. After being on a train for 3 or 4 hours, when I get to Houston I don't want to get on a series of buses to get to where I am going. I want to fall off the train into a bar, a shot taxi ride to my hotel.

Screw the Woodlands, i would run it with 45, then along Hardy with a stop at Hardy and Greens. Then continue down hardy to Downtown.

• Like 2

Hell why not stop the rail in College Station. Having the main train station 20 miles away from downtown is ridiculously inconvenient to pretty much everybody who doesn't live along the 290 corridor. Furthermore, the idea is to not only connect business between the two cities but cultures as well. Stopping that far northwest of the city makes it a hassle to get to midtown, downtown or NRG Park. Their heart is in the right place but I don't know where in the h e l l  their brain is.

Twenty MINUTES (in heavy traffic), not twenty MILES. Likely more in the range of 10 minutes via HOV lane on P&R buses. And 10 minutes to Uptown. And only 20 minutes to the Energy Corridor as well. This station is optimally located to serve all of Houston--not only the CBD.

Downtown and 290/610/10 as well as Cypress would have been best case scenario, but perhaps the 290 commuter line by METRO or others so many are eager for will be made a priority since this line doesn't provide that service.  

• Like 2

Bigfoot we do not need future growth spots, we need to improve the ones we have.

A bus route from the station to downtown is cool but downtown is incomplete as it is. What we going to do, take the train to 290, then take a 45 minute bus to downtown, then take an hour bus to the SW, then take a 15 minute bus to the galleria then take a 45 minute bus to get a drink downtown?

We are already too spread out.

We have zillions of developed areas but not one complete well rounded one.

You are looking at it as a Houston resident. Look at it as a traveller coming by train (carless) what good to them is a station in the boonies that spurred the growth of some shops, condos, and a couple of offices in the area?

We should concentrate on creating at least one well rounded cluster instead of creating more and more s#/tty ones.

• Like 7

I agree Anthony. I like a set up like in New Orleans. A transit hub where you catch a train, Greyhound, megabus, city buses and trolleys and it's right on the edge of the core. Last week I took in a few last minute attractions in the quarter, bought a few gifts, then took a 15 minute walk to the station.

If I was a visitor and I hopped off a train on 290 I would never come back to Houston again. After being on a train for 3 or 4 hours, when I get to Houston I don't want to get on a series of buses to get to where I am going. I want to fall off the train into a bar, a shot taxi ride to my hotel.

Screw the Woodlands, i would run it with 45, then along Hardy with a stop at Hardy and Greens. Then continue down hardy to Downtown.

Have you been following the HSR thread at all?

90 minutes, not "3 or 4 hours."

What does The Woodlands have to do with anything? They wanted the rail but TCP's analysis ruled out that corridor a long time ago for cost, constructability, and maximum operational speed reasons.

• Like 1

Bigfoot we do not need future growth spots, we need to improve the ones we have.

A bus route from the station to downtown is cool but downtown is incomplete as it is. What we going to do, take the train to 290, then take a 45 minute bus to downtown, then take an hour bus to the SW, then take a 15 minute bus to the galleria then take a 45 minute bus to get a drink downtown?

We are already too spread out.

We have zillions of developed areas but not one complete well rounded one.

You are looking at it as a Houston resident. Look at it as a traveller coming by train (carless) what good to them is a station in the boonies that spurred the growth of some shops, condos, and a couple of offices in the area?

We should concentrate on creating at least one well rounded cluster instead of creating more and more s#/tty ones.

610/10/290 is hardly "the boonies".

Even if you're taking a train into NYC, who stays only within a quarter mile radius of Grand Central or Penn Station? Bus from NW TC to Downtown does not take nearly as long as you exaggerate.

Best case scenario for Hardy Yards  is for a commuter line station in the near term and perhaps one day a HSR extension if the cost/benefits of such an extension become favorable.

More on topic, the deferral of the Wilson property plat on the planning agenda validates a San Jacinto extension from Downtown remains in the plans.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

As far as the Hardy Toll Road extension is concerned, construction has already started, but is being done in phases. The first phase was to relocate the railroad tracks, which has been completed already. Next they have to construct 2 overpasses and 1 underpass because originally these were at grade crossings. That is to start early 2016. When all that is done, phase 2 can start which is the actual road construction.

• Like 2

Talked to people overlooking this development. "Phase one" is complete. Park/plaza construction will be coming soon.

Residences of Hardy Yards project costs $58,000,000. Don't remember if we knew that figure already.

Edited by Triton
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm impressed at their aim, although I wonder if they're just being stolen. When the signs first debuted, half of the letters were gone within a week.

Though the letters stolen can be arranged to spell "RAD", I can assure you it is no such thing to be stolen.

Amateurs. They could've left the letters in place but rearranged them, instead of stealing them. I look forward to a small army of drunken, juvenile anagram fans doing their part to ensure that passersby are welcomed to "DAY RASH DRY".

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2015 at 0:48 PM, Triton said:

As stated by someone earlier, the fence is now down. Perhaps the markers are for roads... looks very similar to the outline here.

16494675036_b4b4692b7c_h.jpg

20150213_122903 by marclongoria, on Flickr

It's pretty impressive how far this has come in one year considering it's a 55 acre site that previously had no city utilities or other infrastructure. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...