Hate to make an Atlanta comparison, but this could become Houston's Bucktown, or whatever they call it. I know Houston already has Uptown to fill that role, but why not two?

I hate to make this a comparison too, but Houston's Buckhead is Uptown. This is way to close to downtown to be considered that. I am sure news stories from this place will still say downtown. :D

I'm more interested in its potential impact on the 'hoods just to the north. A lot of charming, older housing stock up there, some of it still in good condition.

I love the planned access to the intermodal, too. Of course, that's "If" it comes to fruition. It's an ambitious project and it's going to take a few years to realize it. I hope no one has a stroke while waiting, given the lack of patience displayed by a few.

Calm down (in advance).

Typical comment with every new development. I think it really is him hiding his excitement. :wub: Anyway the business district down south is not exactly at full occupancy right now.

If this is what Coog was referencing, then he needs to remember that an office project with significant competitive advantage over another competitive groups of buildings can either charge higher rents or expect to lease up quickly and stabilize at an occupancy that is higher than the other competitive buildings.

They have the locational advantage and would make for a good investment. If Coog's objective is to further development in a particular place, like the CBD, then this is bad. If you get sexually aroused, as I do :blush: , at the idea of a successful business venture (regardless of location or characteristics), then this is good.

alright so what really matters is, is this thing a go, are those cranes in that area part of the project getting underway or something else, i would think so, why would they be doing anything to an area for no reason?

The 2 cranes are for the new UH-D business college building that is being built on N. Main Street, directly south of this development.

Their IS work going on at Hardy Yards, but it is remediation, in preparation for construction. It looks to be nearly completed.

oh yea i forgot about UHD doing their lil thing, im happy bout that, i like that UHD is expanding, thanx redscare for the update, but western gulf, 2 years? when was the article written? i pray 2004, lol

December 2005

from the article:

The Hardy Yards site requires substantial environmental remediation work that will take several months before redevelopment can begin.

Kiltz says development could start in about two years following the environmental work.

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/sto...ry2.html?page=1

FWIW, there is a bit of new housing construction going on west of North Main and north of the proposed Hardy Yard project. Even better is that some of the existing housing stock in that area is being renovated and resold as upgraded housing.

It's kind of like the First Ward affect is moving north and east to a smaller degree.

In this, maybe the market is indeed shifting towards accomodating such a project.

• Like 1

The 2 cranes are for the new UH-D business college building that is being built on N. Main Street, directly south of this development.

Their IS work going on at Hardy Yards, but it is remediation, in preparation for construction. It looks to be nearly completed.

Just came back from downtown (yea, a had a couple) Anyways, as I was leaving La Carafe, taking my favorite back-street exit-strategy outa' downtown (Travis, under UHD, behind godfathers bail bonds and underneath I-10 elevated), I noticed the 2 huge cranes on the other side of the I-10 bridge. They look like some serious cranes for some serious gourmet structures. I guess that is the UHD expansion. It's looking good. I cant wait for all this to tie into the Hardy Yard project and the eventual Houston multi-modal transit terminal. This is whole area is a diamond in the rough to become a cool extension to downtown.

GOOD NEWS everyone!

i was touring the area close to UHD on my lunch hour. Off Burnett and Main (North of I-10), it looks like they've been clearing that lot of land to begin construction. There were construction signs saying: CUSHMAN and WAKEFIELD. I called the number listed at 713-877-1700 and spoke with the broker.

I asked the man for some information regarding the project and he said it is indeed the Hardy Rail Yards development! So it looks like they're moving toward the project alot sooner than we all here expected

Before we know it, this project will be on wheels and we'll be seeing the new development boom just like Victory in Dallas has been experiencing! :)

Edited by scarface

THATS GREAT NEWS NOW IF YOU COULD USE YOUR MAGIC TOUCH AND GET THEM STARTED ON THE INTERMODAL STATION, BECAUSE THE GREYHOUND AND AMTRAK STATIONS ARE A BIT INTIMIDATING TO PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT FAMILUAR WITH HOUSTON. I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THEM ALL TOGETHER IN A NEW GRAND STATION.

I have a question. Will the Hardy Rail Yard development be a larger scale then Dallas Victory, or vice-versa?

No. Victory is 72 acres while Hardy is 50. Plus I do not believe Hardy will not have any sort of hotel space.

Edited by WesternGulf

No. Victory is 72 acres while Hardy is 50. Plus I do not believe Hardy will not have any sort of hotel space.

someone said that retail isn't apart of the plan either but i'm wondering why in that second rendering, there's people walking around like they're shopping? :blink: