I like it!

I like it as well. I think what I like the most is the fact that this will be on the complete opposite side of the rail yards as the rail stop. Leaving that barren space in between will only help bring along development even quicker in my opinion. Both sides will essentially have elevated structures (the rail stop itself and the clock tower) and both will be illuminated. The other 50 acres in between should attract even those developers with minimal imagination. 

The amount of warehouse space in the area already drawing in artists, the potential new coffee shop at 2223 N Main, KLS Cyclery, and the new indoor soccer field on Hogan and N. Main are all signs of youth in the area already here to stay. 

• Like 2

Oh that's going to possibly be a coffee shop?

One of the three/four ground retail spaces that will be going on the market to lease once the renovation is complete is hoping to be leased as a coffee shop. Not sure if they have anyone lined up to take on that venture. It's a shame Houston could never pull something off like this http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2014/08/11/3469629/homeless-coffee-shop/

“We saw this area as one where a tremendous amount of public and private funding is underway and likely to occur,” Rackleff said. “This project will be a GAME CHANGER for the Near Northside.”

keep-calm-and-change-the-game-48.png

atta boy huge!

• Like 2

I mean the rendering is new, but we knew about the clock tower, name, and cost of the development for a good while now..

Oh... well, not sure who else you mean then. I just liked the rendering. lol

Here is one of the comments I was referring to with a lot of similar info..

http://swamplot.com/part-of-old-hardy-rail-yard-to-become-a-mostly-affordable-near-northside-apartment-complex/2014-12-23/

http://residencesathardyyards.com/

"Earlier this month City Council approved a performance-based loan of $14,500,000 in federal hurricane relief money to the Houston and Financing Corporation-created entity HY FS LLC to build a 350-residential unit development on part of the 49-acre recently guerrilla-gardened property.

One condition of the loan: that 179 of the total of 350 one- and 2-bedroom units be affordable:"

We knew this... For like 6 months?

I mean the rendering is new, but we knew about the clock tower, name, and cost of the development for a good while now..

Triton he is right, we did know about the clock tower, name, and the cost of development. 

We didn't know that Zeiben hadn't actually closed on the property, so in essence it was still in limbo this whole time. Good to have confirmation it will be proceeding. 

We didn't know that it would be a "public-private partnership between the Zieben Group, the city of Houston, the Houston Housing Finance Corp. and CommunityBank of Texas". At least I was unaware of Community Bank of Texas helping with funds/financing and the extent of HHFC's involvement. 

We didn't know the cost of the land was $10M. That figure hadn't been disclosed. Gives us an idea of what to expect a sqft of raw land will be going for from here on out.

We didn't know what they meant by "179 affordable income units". By the figures given in the article, we can now expect it the targeted AMI for the project to be for those within the 60%-90% bracket. 

We didn't know the height of the tower. 100 ft is a breath of fresh air, that's about 9-10 stories high. Nothing to snub at. Hopefully it looks good and is predominant from a distance. 

We didn't know about "the common-area amenities include a clubhouse on the seventh and top floor of the parking garage with a skylounge overlooking downtown Houston, an outdoor cooking center with Wolf appliances, an infinity-edge pool and a resort-style courtyard pool with cabanas, a bocce ball court, horseshoe pit, volleyball court, full-time concierge service and a dog park with a pet washing station". I thought the skylounge/clubhouse being above the garage vs the units itself is interesting.

We didn't know construction wasn't going to start until 2016 and that it would take 36 months to complete. 

We didn't know Greystar would be managing the property. 

We also didn't know they haven't gotten a general contractor yet.

Edited by IamHouston
  • Like 2

Triton he is right, we did know about the clock tower, name, and the cost of development. 

We didn't know that Zeiben hadn't actually closed on the property, so in essence it was still in limbo this whole time. Good to have confirmation it will be proceeding. 

We didn't know that it would be a "public-private partnership between the Zieben Group, the city of Houston, the Houston Housing Finance Corp. and CommunityBank of Texas". At least I was unaware of Community Bank of Texas helping with funds/financing and the extent of HHFC's involvement. 

We didn't know the cost of the land was $10M. That figure hadn't been disclosed. Gives us an idea of what to expect a sqft of raw land will be going for from here on out.

We didn't know what they meant by "179 affordable income units". By the figures given in the article, we can now expect it the targeted AMI for the project to be for those within the 60%-90% bracket. 

We didn't know the height of the tower. 100 ft is a breath of fresh air, that's about 9-10 stories high. Nothing to snub at. Hopefully it looks good and is predominant from a distance. 

We didn't know about "the common-area amenities include a clubhouse on the seventh and top floor of the parking garage with a skylounge overlooking downtown Houston, an outdoor cooking center with Wolf appliances, an infinity-edge pool and a resort-style courtyard pool with cabanas, a bocce ball court, horseshoe pit, volleyball court, full-time concierge service and a dog park with a pet washing station". I thought the skylounge/clubhouse being above the garage vs the units itself is interesting.

We didn't know construction wasn't going to start until 2016 and that it would take 36 months to complete. 

We didn't know Greystar would be managing the property. 

We also didn't know they haven't gotten a general contract yet.

Yeah, Cloud, you big jerk.

• Like 1

This is actually a lot better looking than we had been led to believe, and the mix of housing at $2 a square foot and at "affordable" rates is encouraging. With any luck, this will spur changes on North Main Street.

Yes, exactly!

From twitter.....an early view of the Residences of Hardy Yards multifamily development

attachicon.gifUntitled.jpg

That's interesting, I thought it would be Burnett St to the north. I'm wondering if Leona St will be extended to the west. Seems like it will be. 

I also got a chance to chat with Councilman Ed Gonzalez at this weekend Sabor del Northside festival. He mentioned that the city is going to be putting even more money Near Northside and the infrastructure, starting with the Hardy Yards which is coming along nicely, the long term goal is to replicate what City Centre is. The bus station area beneath Burnett Station is already up from what I saw driving through there Saturday, and Burnett has fresh asphalt on it. The N Main tunnel is what he said will be the next to be finished.

The transit station is going up quickly - they've been working away on this. The road widening has not started. 

Regarding the comment made earlier about "negligible residential amenities", there are tons of restaurants around here as well as a Fiesta store, Walgreens, etc. up on Quitman. The neighborhood just doesn't look like Montrose. 

I forgot about the Fiesta, thanks for the correction. But I don't think it's going to be enough for the proposed development. With the number of people the rail yards would bring in, it looks too small. And, let's be blunt, Fiesta doesn't appeal to the primary market demographic for the mixed-use development. Fiestas are a mostly blue-collar demographic, while most of the new people coming to the yards are likely to be white-collar. I expect most of the residents of the new development (and surrounding redevelopment) to want a higher-end HEB or something similar.

As for restaraunts, other than Tex-Mex and fast food, what's in the area? I've never seen anything.

Hold on a second. Am I understanding correctly? So now we have two separate developments both named "Residences at Hardy Yards" one at Main/Burnett and the other at Hardy/Leona? Or will that simply be the name for all developments on this property?

ftp://edrc.houstontx.gov/2015/Applications//2015-0678/SubdivisionPlatPDF_Hardy_Yards_Multifamily_Plat.pdf

Hold on a second. Am I understanding correctly? So now we have two separate developments both named "Residences at Hardy Yards" one at Main/Burnett and the other at Hardy/Leona? Or will that simply be the name for all developments on this property?

ftp://edrc.houstontx.gov/2015/Applications//2015-0678/SubdivisionPlatPDF_Hardy_Yards_Multifamily_Plat.pdf

There will be two separate developments. Residences at Hardy Yards which will be the smaller of the two at 350+ units. And another, that at least to my understanding, is yet to be named and will have 2,000+ units. So far this second development is only being referred to as "Hardy Yards". 

Also, how can we view the link you've posted without a login? Mind attaching the PDF its self? Thanks

• Like 1

Yea, can't view it either. Where on the planning commission is this located?

Triton it's on the agenda but you also need to have a login to view it. You can see some detail in the agenda spread sheet but without a login, nothing useful. 

http://mycity.houstontx.gov/plattrackerreports/rptDraftAgendaItems.aspx

page 5

Edited by IamHouston

Here's a direct link to the pdf (maybe it will work?) ftp://edrc.houstontx.gov/2015/Applications//2015-0678/SubdivisionPlatPDF_Hardy_Yards_Multifamily_Plat.pdf

If not I attached the PDF that downloaded

Edit:

Leona street looks like its going to be a new extension of the short stub east of Hardy st - it's not on Google Maps, but the lot subdivisions are?  https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7725784,-95.3537394,17z

SubdivisionPlatPDF_Hardy_Yards_Multifamily_Plat.pdf

Edited by cspwal

It's just one development beginning now. I see now with matching up the rendering in the HBJ with the plat layout. Clock tower matches up with the Twitter image. The HBJ article is just way off in saying the development will be at "North Main and Burnett" streets. Misleading at best. My bad y'all. 

It's a smart play to begin the far side of the development first so that there are still options to densify future plans closer to the light rail station if conditions warrant. You really can't do that if you start closest to the station first and build eastward from there. 

• Like 1