• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Honestly I hope what that post is, dies! If that is the plan....what a waste! This isn't an Upscale residential neighborhood!!!! This should be an area where you build mid-rises or attract retail/residential which targets middle income to lower middle income. You don't even need "class "A"" office space. Just build some nice medium sized buildings which can service a large variety of tenants. Is this the freakin twilight zone?? Was that a Cul-de-sac I saw on that plan!? Are these developers really this simple minded...

• Like 1

Honestly I hope what that post is, dies! If that is the plan....what a waste! This isn't an Upscale residential neighborhood!!!! This should be an area where you build mid-rises or attract retail/residential which targets middle income to lower middle income. You don't even need "class "A"" office space. Just build some nice medium sized buildings which can service a large variety of tenants. Is this the freakin twilight zone?? Was that a Cul-de-sac I saw on that plan!? Are these developers really this simple minded...

I believe the cul de sac is because rail is there.

I'm still hoping for a large scale development w/ the HSR + bus + LR megastation and a white oak bayou promenade that extends to a new mix use development on the post office site and a buffalo bayou river walk.

One can dream right?

Edited by DNAguy
  • Like 2

Honestly I hope what that post is, dies!

The cynic in me says we're looking at four apartment wraps and a few bike paths. The real estate is definitely valuable - close to Downtown, access to the light rail. In DC, it would already have been developed. Those derelict car dealerships along the North Freeway are getting redeveloped, so I can't imagine this site's being ignored.

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm still at work but here is a Swamplot comment that sounds somewhat similar to what I've been told but I don't know the age of this claim. Is this still relevant info about Cypress? (I cannot quote from mobile) - - - "Cypress got hurricane relief funds to have mixed income units as part of their hardy yards development. They are shutting down the Hernandez Tunnel this month to have Burnet connect to North Main."

• Like 2

I drove by the site the other day and noticed that elevators had been installed where the staircase is to the lightrail line. I was thinking that "something" may be coming, maybe not on the magnitude of the original hardy Rail Yard plan but something big is coming that they haven't really revealed to us.

I drove by the site the other day and noticed that elevators had been installed where the staircase is to the lightrail line. I was thinking that "something" may be coming, maybe not on the magnitude of the original hardy Rail Yard plan but something big is coming that they haven't really revealed to us.

The elevators have been there for a long time. They started working on those 2 years ago (possibly three years?). I even have pictures posted on this forum in the north line metro rail thread of when they started... Definitely were not built recently for anything new planned. I believe we still had that metro station (modal? Sp?) for buses planned here when they began work on the elevators.

N Main has already been closed in order to connect it to Burnett. Infrastructure work is being done now. Burnett is being widened and wide sidewalks added to both sides. Then, apparently, work will be done on the Yards

As of when? I live right down the street on North Main and haven't noticed anything.
  • Like 1

As of when? I live right down the street on North Main and haven't noticed anything.

I've driven by that site several times in the last year and 1/2 and don't recall seeing the glass elevators there. I remember the stairs being constructed but not the elevators. Not disputing what you're saying, I just don't remember seeing it.

According to the UH-D website, work was scheduled to begin yesterday (Sept. 2)

Okay, I'll drive by when I'm heading home and see if I see anything.

Scarface, yea no worries. I'll need to search the northline thread to see if I can find it. That will give the true date of when they started. I've even been in the elevators myself when the line opened late last year.

Okay, I'll drive by when I'm heading home and see if I see anything.

Scarface, yea no worries. I'll need to search the northline thread to see if I can find it. That will give the true date of when they started. I've even been in the elevators myself when the line opened late last year.

These are new trailers on the site. Check the satellite imagery on Google Earth. These certain were not here a few months ago. Something is going on with this property and it looks like the rumors I've heard may be closer to reality than I thought.

15109858276_0527135d70_h.jpg

2014-09-03 18.32.43 by marclongoria, on Flickr

Road closed

15129865701_522299b5c2_h.jpg

2014-09-03 18.35.30 by marclongoria, on Flickr

Like you guys said, N Main is closed. Sounds like the closure just happened yesterday so I didn't realize it.

15109849626_766c888231_h.jpg

2014-09-03 18.31.39 by marclongoria, on Flickr

Here is when I took a good amount of photos of the transit station back in December: http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/7525-the-metro-north-rail-line/?p=443711

But it looks like Ricco first spotted the roofs of the elevator shaft back in June 2013: http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/7525-the-metro-north-rail-line/?p=424912

• Like 3

Thanks for posting those pics, Triton! What I keep hearing is that infrastructure work has started and will continue for a while. Once it's finished, the building will begin. That rendering appears to be old. The recent site plan I've seen has a small park at Fulton and Burnett and midrises along Burnett, high-rises to the south. 

• Like 1

These are new trailers on the site. Check the satellite imagery on Google Earth. These certain were not here a few months ago. Something is going on with this property and it looks like the rumors I've heard may be closer to reality than I thought.

Road closed

2014-09-03 18.35.30 by marclongoria, on Flickr

Like you guys said, N Main is closed. Sounds like the closure just happened yesterday so I didn't realize it.

2014-09-03 18.31.39 by marclongoria, on Flickr

Here is when I took a good amount of photos of the transit station back in December: http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/7525-the-metro-north-rail-line/?p=443711

But it looks like Ricco first spotted the roofs of the elevator shaft back in June 2013: http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/7525-the-metro-north-rail-line/?p=424912

I noticed those trailers and I believe a little construction equipment (like a backhoe) on the site last week when I was taking MetroRail to the Texans game.  Definitely new.

And, yes, the elevator has most certainly been there since the construction of the Burnett Station platform.  In fact, IIRC the elevator shaft was built well before the steps.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

I noticed those trailers and I believe a little construction equipment (like a backhoe) on the site last week when I was taking MetroRail to the Texans game.  Definitely new.

Could this simply be for the City of Houston's infrastructure enhancements? Perhaps nothing for Hardy Yards directly? I don't know.

From the UH-D website in case anyone forgot why the tunnel is closed:

Next week, The City of Houston will begin road reconstruction work on N. Main St. at the Judge Alfred J. Hernandez Tunnel, between Naylor and Brooks. Work is scheduled to begin on September 2 and continue through April 2015, although this date could slide.

The project will improve access to Burnett Street from N. Main St.  In addition to reconstruction of the aging tunnel, the project will bring major water and wastewater infrastructure improvements to the area.

North and southbound lanes of N. Main St. at the tunnel will be closed to vehicular traffic. Attached is a detailed map showing the City-approved detours. This construction work will not impact access to Naylor Street. All UHD parking lots, including the faculty/staff garage located under the Shea Street Building, will remain open and accessible throughout the project.

"Major water and wastewater infrastructure" sounds like the city is bringing critical pipes to Hardy Yards for any development that may be coming.

• 3 weeks later...