• 3 months later...
I think I'm more excited about this project than anything. The east side is...well lets face it, ghetto! This will be a nice addition. The only thing is, I haven't heard one thing about it. Is this project dead?

Just wonder if you could please clarify on the note about East Side being "ghetto".

Hardy Road area is considered the Near North Side. That's like comparing east coast to west coast. Hardy runs north to south.

These statements are what gives people that are unfamiliar with Houston a bad image/perception of certain parts of Houston. Not angry, just want to see where East side played into this topic?

Finally, East End is so vast to assume all of it is a slum is just not a well thought out comment. The Near East End and the far east side are seperate worlds altogether.

On a happier note we can assume it is all slum and that should raise the flag for realtors to move in and buy up the cheap properties! So maybe your comment will serve as a positive! Now thats turning a negative into a positive. Thanks! >:)

The Hardy Yards area I would classify as the near Northside, which certainly has its struggling areas in the ten to fifteen block area north of the Hardy Yard site. But this is definitely not the East End. The East End is quite diverse, with some areas, particularly north of Harrisburg and Navigation, that one might equate to a ghetto, but with other areas like Eastwood that are pretty solid communities with rising property values and impressive older homes.

As for the near Northside... yes, that area is certainly a shell of its former self. However, over the past couple of years, there's already been a slow but steady expansion of new residential units, including affordable single-family homes. I really like the potential of the area.

As far as the realization of HY itself... I think the most important steps right now in its evolution are the gradual purchasing of defunct structures currently on the site. When the key developers are able to secure those parcels, it becomes that much more of a realistic project.

Edited by The Great Hizzy!

East as in the east side of DT. Anyway, I've lived in Houston since 89' and I can tell you that Houston deserves it's bad image because it does nothing to clean up slum areas. You can't tell me that the gulf freeway inside the loop or the north frwy all the way to Greenspoint is not ghetto? Not to mention the "energy corridor." What an embarassment. I think energy corridor I think high rises and tree lined streets, lights...I dont' know. When you drive down I-10 (I'm talking about inside the loop) there is grafitti and rusted out overpasses and buildings that havent' been used in years. That's something to be proud of...let me tell ya.

I love Houston...don't get me wrong. It's WAY better than Dallas. But when you drive through other cities, you don't see the poor areas. Houston, which has the most expensive zip code in TX, are all hidden. I just wish they could do something that would clean our image up. Houston has great potential. Somebody told me that Houston is just simply reality. Maybe they are right. It was not my goal to offend anybody...it's just simply my opinion.

About the topic...has anybody heard anything new on the Rail Yards? I think it would be a great addition.

East as in the east side of DT. Anyway, I've lived in Houston since 89' and I can tell you that Houston deserves it's bad image because it does nothing to clean up slum areas. You can't tell me that the gulf freeway inside the loop or the north frwy all the way to Greenspoint is not ghetto? Not to mention the "energy corridor." What an embarassment. I think energy corridor I think high rises and tree lined streets, lights...I dont' know. When you drive down I-10 (I'm talking about inside the loop) there is grafitti and rusted out overpasses and buildings that havent' been used in years. That's something to be proud of...let me tell ya.

I love Houston...don't get me wrong. It's WAY better than Dallas. But when you drive through other cities, you don't see the poor areas. Houston, which has the most expensive zip code in TX, are all hidden. I just wish they could do something that would clean our image up. Houston has great potential. Somebody told me that Houston is just simply reality. Maybe they are right. It was not my goal to offend anybody...it's just simply my opinion.

About the topic...has anybody heard anything new on the Rail Yards? I think it would be a great addition.

Uh, why would the wealthiest folks want to live next to a freeway? Additionally, just South of 1-10 outside the Loop is the 77024 zip code. It is mega-wealthy but you can't see it through the trees. Maybe we should cut those down for our image problem?

if 45 south is the poorest area of houston.....then we're in GREAT shape!

Edited by musicman

Two words explain why a lot of Houston doesn't look so pretty from the interstates: Feeder roads.

They're super-convenient, but nothing obscures blight like a tree-lined buffer along a freeway.

I think I'm more excited about this project than anything. The east side is...well lets face it, ghetto! This will be a nice addition. The only thing is, I haven't heard one thing about it. Is this project dead?

This was never a project to begin with. The former landowners have a business model that involves sweeping in, buying a high-profile property, cleaning it up if necessary, getting architects and planners to come up with amazing renderings that can be publicized in the Chronicle, and then selling the land to someone else. The 'someone else' is not in any form obligated to follow the conceptualized designs...and thus far, they aren't.

This should be viewed for the time being as nothing more than a land play.

This is BS. I'm an East End property owner and know the folks at the Greater East End Management District very well. They have been publicizing the hell out of their grafitti-fighting efforts and generally have the spraypaint removed within a day or two of it being applied. They also have a clean-up crew to handle litter. It is one of the best-run management districts in the State, especially considering that they have so much on their plate. In fact, they just had a huge Economic Development luncheon featuring Michael Gallis earlier today at the UH Hilton. Big turnout. Not many management districts could pull that kind of crowd.

As for the Energy Corridor, another area with a very good management district and an area in which I work, the rusted-out overpasses at BW8 & I-10 are getting torn down and replaced...but that isn't actually the energy corridor to begin with. ...and it certainly doesn't extend inside the loop! I cannot think of any grafitti that I've seen. And "buildings that haven't been used in years"? What planet are you on? It is second only to the TMC in the amount of new construction!

Also, I see poor areas of Dallas from the freeway very easily. I also see them from street-level.

Also, I see poor areas of Dallas from the freeway very easily. I also see them from street-level.

The north Central Expressway (75) gives the illusion that Dallas is a perfect, flawless drive throughout the entire 395 sq mi of Dallas. I bet that's what wx is comparing Houston to. Once you travel deep into the neighborhoods or off I-35, you see that Dallas isn't all glitz and glamour, especially areas in South Dallas. Dallas is just like Houston.

Edited by tierwestah

Perhaps wxman should address his complaints to the highway planners and civic leaders of the 1950s. It was they who decided that the interstate highways should not bisect the wealthy neighborhoods, but in fact should cut through the poor and middle class neighborhoods, since those properties were less expensive, and frankly, the rich people did not want highways near their homes. The planners and civic leaders did not care what the view was, because...well...it is a highway, not a scenic parkway.

Houston is not alone in this. Cities throughout the country ran their freeways through the poor neighborhoods. Additionally, TxDOT has historically not used its funds for highway beautification. Only in the last 5-10 years has that been a concern, and in fact, Central Expressway was one of the first highways to get that treatment.

Only in the last 5-10 years has that been a concern, and in fact, Central Expressway was one of the first highways to get that treatment.

Well not for too much longer. TXDOT is planning on yanking some of the greenery from the median of North Central Expressway and replacing it with rocks. Read and weep!

http://forum.dallasmetropolis.com/showthread.php?t=6775

Anyway, I've lived in Houston since 89' and I can tell you that Houston deserves it's bad image because it does nothing to clean up slum areas.

huh?

do you remember what midtown, reliant park, tmc south, washington ave, downtown, montrose, etc looked like in the late 80s and early 90s as compared to today?

not a chance you would have found me in those areas after sundown. well, except for going to emos, club some, and that dance club in downtown (cant remember name) on occasion B)

Edited by houston-development

• 2 months later...
From what I hear this project is now DEAD, thanks to Metro. Metro TOOK something like 12 acres of the 46 acre Hardy Yards project though emanate domain, thus screwing the development company.

I think you got some bad info. METRO has purchased land adjacent to land it already owned in the area, but I do not believe it was by eminent domain. If the developer sold 12 acres, it was likely willingly, making Niche's statement more accurate.

Coincidentally, I just heard something about this proerty a couple of days ago, and it did not involve residential or mixed use. I'll check to see if it was speculation or fact before I repeat it here.

From what I hear this project is now DEAD, thanks to Metro. Metro TOOK something like 12 acres of the 46 acre Hardy Yards project though emanate domain, thus screwing the development company.

A "taking" is essentially just a forced sale to the state, however both the 5th amendment to the United States Constitution and Art. 1 of the Texas Constitution require "just compensation".

Exactly. That point was made earlier in the thread. Besides, a suggestion that using 12 acres for an intermodal transit facility somehow RUINS the other 34 acres is downright silly. For comparison, 34 acres is equivalent to 16+ downtown blocks with street grids. 12 acres is approximately the size of the new downtown park. Every empty block surrounding the new park comprises less than 16 blocks, yet no one is suggesting that the park ruin possible development of the surrounding area. 34 acres is probably still the largest contiguous tract of developable land in the downtown or close in area.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There was a thread regarding the Hardy Yards development which is now pretty much dead, from what I have heard. That location seems like a good place to move all of the HPD and HFD garages and warehouses. Moving that stuff would allow for additonal development around the Elder Street lofts area, which now cluttered by all those lousy garages. Any thoughts?

There are about 3 very similar if not almost identical topics of this area. I had to laugh when someone called in East End, a riot. :wacko:

One topic is called Near Northside.

There have been numerous times that articles are written or media sensationalizes planned developements or new construction, get everyone excited and poof! nada, nothing. I recall such a deal on the Hardy Yards a few years ago. Last discussed here it was scrapped, like the scene was cut from the film. Old adage, if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is.

Take a drive one day to area of Quitman and Chapman street and look towards DT skyline. There is so much potential for that huge area. Perfect for a stadium?

There was a thread regarding the Hardy Yards development which is now pretty much dead, from what I have heard. That location seems like a good place to move all of the HPD and HFD garages and warehouses. Moving that stuff would allow for additonal development around the Elder Street lofts area, which now cluttered by all those lousy garages. Any thoughts?

The thread still exists.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...mp;#entry194533

As for my thoughts, my thoughts are that Hardy Yards is no more dead today than it was the last time you posted this in July. The land is still there. It is still remediated. It has not reached its expiration date. You are confusing the fact that no one has yet decided to pay the price to acquire the property with dead. When someone comes up with both a plan and the financing, this project will magically come to life.

My other thought is to wonder why this couldn't go in the Hardy Yards thread.