Alright you know something, we know you know something, might as well spill it.

I'll wait for some time to pass. There's also a multi-family complex with GRF planned along rail on Fulton close to a station.  :ph34r: Ok, enough for tonight!  :lol: Keep your eyes on the Northside... it's the next big target for developers.

• Like 2

I'll wait for some time to pass. There's also a multi-family complex with GRF planned along rail on Fulton close to a station.  :ph34r: Ok, enough for tonight!  :lol: Keep your eyes on the Northside... it's the next big target for developers.

Is this by Moody Park? I know there are a couple projects across the street in their infancy/preconception stages there. There is also something going on behind the original Donerakis.

Edited by xsatyr

Apparently other residents hate the name Tampico Heights; Houstonia magazine caught all kinds of grief when they used that name to describe it.

I know a few who hate it and plenty who don't care. Some of the residents don't even know what the area is called. Many of them hate it because they are worried about being priced out of the neighborhood when gentrification hits. That's going to happen with or without a name change though. There is also some racial undertones in the conversations I have with my neighbors but I think that is normal.

Edit: I saw what you were referencing. Many of the complaints were talking about retaining the culture of the neighborhood. I am not buying that at all. Behind closed doors their main concern is their ability to stay in the area. That is just my observation from the conversations I had though.

Edited by xsatyr

mediocre rendering from what I can analysis, but the core concept of pedestrian dominated plazas and buildings which enclose and help define that wide pedestrian space is the right direction as well as a main promenade from said plaza to the station with no car traffic interruptions is also a great direction. Due to the lack of a secure foothold of any defining architectural characteristics I would hope that whatever goes in this area is bold and isn't as conservative as this. Take that fake stucco and brick mortar and put it somewhere else. This could become a very interesting urban core is planned and developed right. With all those factors though I don't see any development happening here for quite some time. The land is just too big and I don't think people are in the right mindset yet to really take full advantage of the land that they got there.

• Like 2

mediocre rendering from what I can analysis, but the core concept of pedestrian dominated plazas and buildings which enclose and help define that wide pedestrian space is the right direction as well as a main promenade from said plaza to the station with no car traffic interruptions is also a great direction. Due to the lack of a secure foothold of any defining architectural characteristics I would hope that whatever goes in this area is bold and isn't as conservative as this. Take that fake stucco and brick mortar and put it somewhere else. This could become a very interesting urban core is planned and developed right. With all those factors though I don't see any development happening here for quite some time. The land is just too big and I don't think people are in the right mindset yet to really take full advantage of the land that they got there.

Exactly what I was thinking, dated design, good concept. If Houston wants light rail to be worth it, the stations should be surrounded by development that people want to explore and not suburban shopping centers with a sea of parking.

• Like 2

There are rumors of UH-D Housing floating around.  :ph34r:

While many seem to want office towers or mixed use or condos, wouldn't it be something if UHD was able to use the Hardy Yards to make an actual campus instead of being scattered about? Don't stop at just creating housing.

Any chance the Main Building can be repurposed as, oh I don't know, let's get crazy, a high speed rail station or anything like that? HSR folks finance some new buildings up at the Hardy Yards, and in doing so buy the well located building that already has a rail line running thru. Building a few more rail bridges over Travis and Milam wouldn't be difficult at all to create several platforms--assuming the building could be repurposed. It already has it's own light rail stop. Fairly decent highway access to 45, 59, and 10. Sure would have great potential for a transit terminal--especially if they plan on making a south canal touristy "riverwalk" a few decades from now. And what a great view to present of our city to arrivals.

It's a win-win for UHD and HSR.

• Like 2

Exactly what I was thinking, dated design, good concept. If Houston wants light rail to be worth it, the stations should be surrounded by development that people want to explore and not suburban shopping centers with a sea of parking.

Okay, suburban shopping centers WITHOUT a sea of parking. All I know is the developments around the DART stations all seem to be apartments on retail with a parking structure nearby, and they seem to be doing well.

Okay, suburban shopping centers WITHOUT a sea of parking. All I know is the developments around the DART stations all seem to be apartments on retail with a parking structure nearby, and they seem to be doing well.

Sorry.

When I said parking, I meant to say parking lots. Parking structures are fine.

The city of Houston also requires a certain amount of parking for any development as well and all the wording makes all the difference. In the case of the White Oak Music Hall, there is a debate over whether it is a club or a bar. I don't have all the details but one designation makes a large difference. One designation is based on square footage and the other is based on actual human capacity (I believe). Perhaps someone can enlighten us with more in-depth knowledge about it.

My point is, this development would require a certain amount of parking, even if it is next to the light rail station.

I'm not sure about the previous requirements, but the amendment passed in 2013 has incentives for bike parking and might allow an exeption for parking on one end of this project because of its proximity to light rail.

http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/DevelopRegs/offstreet/docs_pdfs/Chapter26_Ordinance_march_2013.pdf

• 1 month later...

Wow, 4 minutes a part from each other.  :lol:

But this is not occurring on the SE side. All these excavators are on the mid-north to northeast side, farther away from the hurricane relief project and the tunnel construction.

Edited by Triton