Question About Sugar Land Schools

sarahiki

I've heard that Sugar Land schools are excellent, and I've heard good things about a lot of different subdivisions in Sugar Land. I'm hoping someone can help me narrow my search a bit by telling me:

1. What are the BEST elementary schools (and high schools, for future reference) in Sugar Land?

2. In terms of access to freeways, and mature trees, are First Colony and New Territory my best choices? Are there others that are close to freeways (and as close to Houston as possible) that also have mature trees?

thanks for any advice/suggestions.

Colony Meadows/Commonwealth Elementary -- > Fort Settlement Middle -- > Clements High

I've heard that Sugar Land schools are excellent, and I've heard good things about a lot of different subdivisions in Sugar Land. I'm hoping someone can help me narrow my search a bit by telling me:

1. What are the BEST elementary schools (and high schools, for future reference) in Sugar Land?

2. In terms of access to freeways, and mature trees, are First Colony and New Territory my best choices? Are there others that are close to freeways (and as close to Houston as possible) that also have mature trees?

One good line up at the elementary and middle school level is Walker Station Elementary plus Sartartia Middle School. Homes on the east side of New Territory are zoned to these schools. Brazos Bend Elementary plus Sartartia Middle School is another good combo...homes on the west side of New Territory are zoned to those schools.

I don't know as much about the high schools because my children aren't near that age yet.

• 2 months later...

I've been a First Colony resident since '79. We do have mature oak trees and excellent schools with established instructors. Teachers aspire to teach in First Colony Schools; it's a plumb job. Clemens HS is top-notch...check the stats. I see kids walking home from school, often without adult supervision, under huge shady trees looking very happy. Colony Bend Elementary is excellent. There is a lack of after-school programs...however there isn't much interest as there are a lot of stay-at-home or home business moms here. Many kids go to hang out or work in the family business after school. We have three restaurant owners on my street alone!

There are about 50% families and 50% empty nesters/or with older kids (like me)...so there is always someone outside gardening or working in their garage during the day. Most neighbors say "hi" and look out for each other; it's very safe. My only complaint is that neighborhoods built in the late 70s-early 80s were often built hurriedly due to the huge jump in population (mostly Rust Belt & Calif. refugees). Sometimes very cheap materials and/or workmanship was involved. Thank goodness, my dad was in construction and knew what he was looking at.

Move here...pick a good house that was well maintained, have it inspected and you've got it made. When I moved here there was NOTHING except the town, the prison, Aztec Rental and the sugar mill.....now it's all real purrrdy! :P

Don't forget to use the FBISD school zone locator to determine which homes are zoned to which schools: http://zonemaps.fortbend.k12.tx.us/edulog/webquery/

FBISD also has maps which show the attendance boundaries of various schools listed here: http://www.fortbend.k12.tx.us/cmf/default....ion=parentlinks

In many rapidly-growing areas, school boundaries may shift like sand, so keep that in mind when you buy your home.

• 3 weeks later...
Colony Meadows/Commonwealth Elementary -- > Fort Settlement Middle -- > Clements High

When we looked for homes that happened to be in the Clements zone, there was hardly anything available? At least for our family, which is larger than average. And the few homes available, when I saw how they looked and work that needed to be done, those areas just seemed way overpriced for what you get. I was not too impressed.

Then there were several subdivisions full of 1970's era one-stories. Way small, and frankly, I thought better off gutting and just building new. Wondering why this hasn't happened yet.

And the Highlands - wow, what a great location. But what tiny, impractical houses!

Almost everything else that was "newer" and bigger in that area was upwards of 400k. I was greatly disappointed.

I've been a First Colony resident since '79. We do have mature oak trees and excellent schools with established instructors. Teachers aspire to teach in First Colony Schools; it's a plumb job. Clemens HS is top-notch...check the stats. I see kids walking home from school, often without adult supervision, under huge shady trees looking very happy. Colony Bend Elementary is excellent. There is a lack of after-school programs...however there isn't much interest as there are a lot of stay-at-home or home business moms here. Many kids go to hang out or work in the family business after school. We have three restaurant owners on my street alone!

There are about 50% families and 50% empty nesters/or with older kids (like me)...so there is always someone outside gardening or working in their garage during the day. Most neighbors say "hi" and look out for each other; it's very safe. My only complaint is that neighborhoods built in the late 70s-early 80s were often built hurriedly due to the huge jump in population (mostly Rust Belt & Calif. refugees). Sometimes very cheap materials and/or workmanship was involved. Thank goodness, my dad was in construction and knew what he was looking at.

Move here...pick a good house that was well maintained, have it inspected and you've got it made. When I moved here there was NOTHING except the town, the prison, Aztec Rental and the sugar mill.....now it's all real purrrdy! :P

Like I had said, we tried, but no luck. I think there's even less inventory today as compared to when we started looking last spring.

Maybe when some of these empty-nesters start moving out, there will be more inventory of the larger homes and prices will correct a bit.

Sugar Mill Elementary-Sugar Mill Middle-Kempner HS.

Kempner is not as highly rated as Clements but both my kids graduated from there and than went to Rice, so not to shabby. It's a little more "international" than Clements. But thats a good thing when preparing for college.

Sugar Mill Elementary-Sugar Mill Middle-Kempner HS.

Kempner is not as highly rated as Clements but both my kids graduated from there and than went to Rice, so not to shabby. It's a little more "international" than Clements. But thats a good thing when preparing for college.

I'd actually prefer to NOT have my kids at the best high school, because I think it will make it harder for them to get into public college that way. But, I'd like a better than average school. The reason I liked the Clements zone is because I just like the subdivisions and area around there, rather than the school itself.

But my kids are very young. Right now, I mostly care about the elementary and middle school. Those don't need to be the best either, just above average. We are finding Sugar Land a frustrating market if you have a larger than average family, don't want to do tons of remodels, or don't have 400k+ to spend on a newer home in a zoned and "safe" neighborhood (and what I mean by that is safe from out-of-sort developments or tons of apartments getting built nearby)

• The title was changed to Question About Sugar Land Schools